Hammer Bomb - A first person arcade dungeon crawler (Crescent Moon) - 30th March!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JoshCM, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    This is so fun! The art style is really cool.

More impressions soon!

2. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Pretty cool, I love the confined corridor feeling. I miss the old school corridor games.
    I started with a hammer, but I am guessing that that is only a special find, whereas most times you should turn and run if you see an enemy?
    How many levels are there?

3. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    There are a bunch of different weapons to find and perks for them. There are infinite levels. The hammer can break cracked walls also.

4. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Wow you have a winner here! Wins my award for most original dungeon crawler I have played in awhile. I love the arcade/auto runner aspect, the vox style graphics and did I mention it's really fun? Great job josh :)

5. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    So far I've played for about 20-30 minutes. It's really fun. I'm even getting unused to the swipes I need to work on my timing a little bit, but I'm getting the hang of it. I particularly like that swiping down turns you around 180 degrees. At first I thought I had to swipe sideways twice. Down is much better. I like the unlockable perks you can buy with your coins.

On my last play I fought the boss on level 5, I think, and died twice. The second time we killed each other, so I'm making progress. Will you continue after the boss stages if you die after defeating them or do you start from level one each time you die?

Two things that concerned me while playing.

1. I had a monster standing right in front of me once, when I was starting level one. He hit me then I tapped in him, I didn't have any weapons since I was still at the starting point, so I ended up walking into him. I basically started this run with one heart. Are there supposed to be monsters at the start before you have any ability to defend yourself?

2. I found a secret room but I couldn't get into it. I assume I needed a hammer or bomb but didn't find the room until I had already used the weapons received in that level. I'm not sure if I like having to decide if I'm going to defend myself or try to open secret rooms.

Like I said, I haven't played much yet, at work, so I'll be back when I've put in some more time with the game.

6. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Some quick answers - so after you leave the game (assuming you haven't died) you will continue, and after the boss as well. There are 7 bosses.

Its a risk reward about deciding to use a weapon to break a cracked wall or not. Usually good treasure inside though.

Monster standing in front of you right when you start a level shouldn't happen, we'll have to tweak some enemy placements.

7. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    was going to keep this secret, but...
    Toad Room!

Attached Files:

8. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    This was weird. I was on level two, after exploring most of the level the game stopped responding to my swipes. The only places I could turn were at points were the path ended in a T. I could still swipe down to turn around but couldn't turn left or right. Also, it looked as if the character had somehow gotten of center on the path. I tried to take a screen shot, but I was simultaneously being attacked by a scarecrow zombie so it was getting crazy at that point and I didn't get the shot.

What I did was exit back to the menu and started again. Now the swipes were working again, but I was already on level two right away. Some of the maze was already visible on the map and some of the pickups were already marked. When I made my way to the visible pickups they were already gone. For instance, one was a crystal and when I found the second crystal it said 2 of 2 crystals found and the prisoner I rescued wasn't in the cage but I had to unlock it. This wasn't the same maze I was in before, the exit was in a different place, but it was like I had already been there.

9. Kimchisoju

Kimchisoju Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Male
    Caregiver
    I must say

This may be a gush article but I love this game! Three levels in, and I'm so excited for this! Personally the swiping is abit tense and late but that's a ok. The gameplay is amazing and I felt like I snuck up on an oger and shot an arrow into his back. The little dirt particles that drift through the air, the tight kinda claustrophobic corridors and the warm colors make me want to play it again and again and again!

10. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I just found another secret room but this time by that point in the game the only weapons the game had given me were the sword and the bow so I couldn't open it.

11. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    there won't always be a hammer or a bomb available (or a Mace) when there is a secret room, but since these items pass from level to level, you'll be able to use them when you have them available. So its a matter of balancing which you want to keep. There are also two perks that allow you to carry up to 3 items at one time.

12. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I understand, but what I was trying to say is there had been NO bombs or hammers at all that go around.

I also just had an incident occur where I got a mission to find an apple and when I found it it was in a cage with a prisoner, but I didn't have another key to open the door so I couldn't complete that mission.

13. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    the quests also transfer from level to level, so if you don't complete it on one, you'll be able to do it in the next one (or even the one after that)

14. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    That's cool. Did you see my post about the swipes not working?

15. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Yes - I had that happen once. Thanks for reporting it.

16. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Ok, just had a sit down with this and I'm having a blast. Haven't encountered anything out of the ordinary functionally. Swipe turns are responsive and not missing at all. Question about weapons, can you dump a weapon that you don't want anymore after picking it up? Running on 6s+ 9.0.2. Have yet to install on iPad Air 2 9.0.2.

17. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    So, I've always thought that someone needed to turn the Win95 maze into a game...This is that game!!!!

I really appreciate everything about it so far. The levels of progression, the graphics, the music is really funky... Chasing living donuts... Etc.

Got mauled by the first boss but I'll get back at it.

This is a perfect mobile dungeon explorer.. Quick bursts of play, constant progression, etc.

I also prefer the "pacman" style movement vs. the tap to move... I did not expect that. I think I would appreciate a 3rd option of constant moving with a d-pad instead of swipes... Also, a stop/brake button?

I'll keep at it and keep an eye out for bugs and whatnot but so far, flawless!

18. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Yea it's shaping up to be really good. Has come a long ways since the first few betas.

19. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Enjoying this a good bit!

Very interesting dungeon crawling meets pac ma concept that works a lot better that it probably should.

Definitely continues to get more interesting as you unlock more (always a plus) and trying to dodge enemies is a fun challenge.

Unless I'm completely missing this, it would be nice if you could put an enemy's icon on the map once you've spotted it so you know where it is and play up the evading part of the game.

And your character's turns feel kind of stiff, though I'm not sure if there's much you can do about this as it is a "grid based" voxel game after all

20. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Glad you are enjoying it!
    You can get a perk in the shop that is enemy radar. I think its the 3rd or 4th one.
    There's also a perk to carry more weapons. We've just done a lot of tweaks and fixes - more builds on the way :)