Universal Hammer Bomb - First person arcade dungeon crawler (Crescent Moon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JoshCM, Mar 30, 2016.

1. CraigG

CraigG Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    This —

— should be part of the default set-up. I know it's quite easy to access, but with that 'perk', this is a completely different (and much better) game. Without it, I almost abandoned it.

As for disabling auto-walk, I think that would make for a massively different experience, and I'm not sure it'd be better. To my mind, this game is a mash-up of Rogue, Pac-Man and Wolf 3D. The auto-walk is part of it, and removing that would dial down the game's frenetic nature.

(The only other niggle I have is getting stuck down a dead-end, with no way to fight off an enemy. But I suspect better weapon usage on my part would sort that.)

2. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    The thing is: I want to turn right on the next crossroad but missed it, but since you keep walking then you have to swipe a couple of times, and turn around after walking a couple tiles and then, ah, you swipe at the wrong time and you miss the turn again and it goes on...

I already feel a bit frustrated in typing this. I can blame the swipe sensitivity of my device.

Also since the map is not turning as you are, it takes a bit of time to figure out if I should turn right or left when I get to the turn. Oh well, I guess I can get used to that.

That is not a very nice experience or may be it is just me.

3. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015

You can swipe to turn well before you get to the turn itself and if you swipe down you will do a complete 180.

4. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I agree with this. I don't mind the auto walk. But the swiping doesn't always seem to work well.

5. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Game of the Month IMO !
    But didn't know or see the differences in the options when you disabled/enabled "first view person" ? Did you have a hint for this ?

6. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    This game is really cool! I don't mind the auto run at all. Wish the swipe felt a little more responsive, maybe. Nice work!

7. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I think it's the "bouncing" effect of the head while you move, which is turned on/off with that.

8. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Oh thanks for your answer. I didn't notice to it but I'll check !

9. Punchram

Punchram Member

Mar 31, 2016
    I've had a lot of fun with the game so far. Definitely don't remove the auto-walk feature as it adds the Pac-Man element to the game which helps give it a unique feel (compared to other crawlers). I don't think a stop/pause is necessary once you get used to using the down swipe, but it also shouldn't take away from the game either.

My only complaint so far has been echoed here already - sometimes there's a lack of responsiveness to swiping and attacking. Perhaps it's a device-related situation, but there seems to be enough instances of this in the forum that it could be worth looking into further.

In terms of potential additions:

- Not sure if there's already a perk for this, but maybe a way to start the dungeons at a more advanced stage once you've unlocked a certain amount of perks.
    - Additional quest types to mix things up a bit

I did find some kind of pipe leading to a room where you chase cats around for gold. That was unexpected.

Overall, excellent game and I'm sure I'll be playing it for quite a while longer.

10. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    We are experimenting though with a tap near where the keys are to stop the player moving which lets you shoot while stationary. Keeping the difficulty level would be a good thing to save, hopefully we can do that. You found the toad room! (those are toads not cats :p)

11. Punchram

Punchram Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Toads! Sorry, that wasn't a knock on the graphics, I just didn't catch a good glimpse of them because of how fast they were moving. :)

Fun level. Hopefully I'll stumble across more of those surprises!

12. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Very enjoyable! Don`t let yourself fool by the Screenshots on the iTunes Store since this here is a small Gem that will steal your time for more then you might think.

This Game is a Sleeper. It does look like one of those Games that you usually don`t would touch since it could be also go through like some of those other Minecraft Look-a-Like Games on the iTunes Store but as soon as you dig into it you will enjoy it much more then you would have guessed from reading the description on the iTunes Store or by judging the Game only by looking at those Screenshots on the AppStore.

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks for listening, since the design makes it quite hard to see where the flames from the rotating "thing" coming. May be I should be more careful when I reach that level next time.

14. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Paid to remove the ads. Love this game mucho

15. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    glad you like it!
    we started working on a massive content and tweaks update, which we will probably submit at the end of next week.

16. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Included in the Spanish "best new games" section of the App Store. Congrats!

Attached Files:

17. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Thanks! We seem to be moving up the charts :)

18. Igoo

Igoo Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Ditto.

19. Punchram

Punchram Member

Mar 31, 2016
    A couple quick item/weapon questions:

- is there anything more to a torch then just making the hallways brighter?
    - any advantage to a broadsword compared to a short sword or is it just more damage against bosses?

20. decript

decript Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    BC, Canada
    #60 decript, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Great game. Lots of fun and I am glad to see there are progressive permanent upgrades. I just had a couple of questions regarding them though:

1-is there any difference between the short and long sword? bow and crossbow? The different Mage staffs?

2- does the torch take up an inventory slot?

3-do the perks that increase item count stack? I bought Ranger 2, which increases arrows by +2, and then bought Ranger 1 afterwords, expecting my total arrow count to be 6 when I first get a bow from a chest. Instead it was 5. Is this how it's supposed to be? If so, then it's pointless to buy any previous upgrade, just save up and buy rank 3 for ranger, bombardier etc