Universal Hammer Bomb - First person arcade dungeon crawler (Crescent Moon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JoshCM, Mar 30, 2016.

1. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    The long sword is more powerful - like 3 dmg compared to 1 (on bosses) I think the range is bigger too. Torch does take up an inventory slot. You can see twice as far with it and it scares away enemies. Those ranger perks I'll have to ask Kyle about....

2. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    It took a few rounds to get the hang of it, but I managed to get 3230:
    https://twitter.com/putermcgee/status/716195312683999232

I don't always have the option to play with sound, and I think that was maybe the problem for me at first. It's a lot easier to get the timing for turns and stuff with sound... or maybe I'm just crazy.

Bought the no-ads IAP, but hadn't seen any ads yet. I like that you can get a free revive or just a bonus 100 coins that way, but I honestly didn't expect that. I figured those would still be opt-in videos, but I can't complain!

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I was playing this for a while and ran into a bug...

By the time I hit stage 9 or so I started walking in the walls. I couldn't turn unless I hit the end of the path and then I could only turn around 180 degrees. No left or right, just backwards and forwards.

I'm on an iPhone 6S w/iOS 9.3

Attached Files:

4. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I have had that happen before as well. Unfortunately its so rare that we are unable to repeat it to be able to try to fix it. Luckily if you get to the end of the level it will reset itself again.

5. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I had this issue during beta tests and if you exit the game and restart it will fix the issue, but it causes some other small glitches that clear up when you finish the level. At some point I deleted the game and reinstalled and I haven't had the problem since.

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Alrighty... Thanks for the info. =o)

7. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Finished up the new Snow Biome. Going to add more enemies, a new boss, and a bunch of other stuff this week and then submit a new update, hopefully by the end of the week.

8. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Sounds awesome. Does the snow biome come with a Yeti boss?#

Are you still planning for different themes i.e., SciFi, horror, etc.? That was this game right?

9. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    #69 JoshCM, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Sci fi is already currently in the game, its Perk #50. Corridor Z!

(Good guess about the boss :)

10. Punchram

Punchram Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Found Corridor Z! Good stuff.

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #71 Royce, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    This game is fantastic. However, I think it's way too easy to farm weapons from certain bosses. Because it makes the game much easier, I feel like I have to do it, but it's boring and takes away from what playing this game should be like. Also, the items in the shop should stack not just improve on each other (or you should have to buy the previous version before you can buy the subsequent one). Just my 2 cents. Really having a good time with this.

And I think I just hit a bug. I have 2 extra item slots unlocked. I had at one point swords, bombs and hammers. I ran out of swords, and had the hammer equipped. I found a chest with a sword and picked it up. Instead of putting my hammers in the extra open slot, the swords replaced the hammers (30-something of them actually).

12. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    This game needs to be played by more people. Toucharcade should put on main page

13. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I have to think there will be a review at some point but I'm sure they are super behind from GDC stuff.

14. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    So I just gotta put my two cents out there, even though I seem to be the dissenting opinion here. I thought I'd enjoy this as I love dungeon crawlers and RPGs, etc. Once I started it up and everything I enjoyed the first lvl or two but quickly realized this isn't really a dungeon crawler at all. It's like a maze/puzzle game. It's basically pac man, especially once you get the radar. There is hardly any action going on as the weapons have very limited use. The combat isn't really combat at all and is just avoiding the enemies, at least as far as I could tell.

The progression was a bit odd to me too. Instead of having any sort of branching, you unlock the possible upgrades by leveling then have to buy them, but there is about one per level, so there isn't any customization or anything at all. Could have just got rid of coins and had monetized by making the no ads IAP and having some other unlock for cash, or something like that. Of course having some actual progression aspect is always a plus too.

Anyway, it's not a bad game or anything, but I was just very underwhelmed. I was expecting a bit more excitement, and I do not get that from puzzle or maze type games. But each their own; just would enjoyed it with some more RPG/DCer aspects to it

15. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Yeah I can understand that. If you came in expecting an RPG, this is not. It's meant to be very Arcady mix of a first person dungeon crawler and Pac man - with a good amount of 80s nostalgia thrown in. It could probably work well as a stand up arcade game in an old 80s arcade. I styled the interface very similar to the Williams games like Joust and Robotron. The voice in the game harkens back to ye olde Speak & Spell. It seems to have a simplicity that appeals to the younger kids - but there is a good amount of content in there and secrets.

16. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    This game is better than I ever imagined it would be. It's something that I can keep playing over and over because even after I die it keeps my levels from where I had leveled up and upgraded my guy.
    I hope to see them updating this game because I can't get enough and more content would just blow my mind.
    Different boss levels would be cool to see in the future . Although I do like how the boss levels are setup at the moment.

17. decript

decript Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    BC, Canada
    #77 decript, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    I'm excited to see continued support and content updates planned for this game. Super fun. I love the soundtrack. Don't lose the pac-man and fast-paced feel by giving a joystick or dpad. The swiping sensitivity could use some improvement though.

After mostly getting the extra weapon slots and an extra heart, I've noticed the game becomes considerably easier. In fact I've only gotten a couple arrow increases, all looter and academic bonuses, and neglected all new weapons, so chests only have a chance of giving me one of the 3 starting weapons or a quest. That's the dilemma of getting new weapons, it gets harder to stack them (maybe makes getting a quest less likely also?) I only started to encounter difficulties as I was approaching stage 20 where you start encountering small enemies like snakes and flying enemies like bats. Hammer still kills all, but the bow couldn't hit the snakes and it's harder to get direct hits with the bomb. Not sure about staffs and swords. Also you start encountering larger numbers of enimies, and traps to navigate while dodging and killing at the same time. I quickly realized for experience, It's not worth going after the time bonus. Just go after all crystals, prisoners, quests and all the enemies you can kill.

I too have had the bug where if I have the hammer activated and pick up an item, it completely replaces my entire stack of hammers.

18. kripa1415`

kripa1415` Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    This game look amazing ! very addictive with the music. The art work are very simple but very efficient.. it's actually perfect for that kind of game

19. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Well I personally love the game and I'm considerably older than a young kid. Just got the golden frog tunnel for the first time. If you add a few new random events like that with time, I could see this bringing a lot of people back time and time again. Best Crescent Moon game in awhile!

20. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Yeah, watch that comment about younger kids there, sonny.... I am 34, father of four, husband of one, etc. :) I love the classic arcade feel, that's a big sell... It's something I can play holding my baby boy while he's napping on my phone (still getting the weird no movement when I try to switch to my secondary weapon, Josh, on S6 Android)... Plus, it's got a great balance of progression and challenge for a smaller-scoped game..

I hope it does well for you all! I think remote mines or tripwires would be a cool weapon, as well as some more open maps spaces, to have a little more chance to dodge around sometimes... More surprises like the frog tunnels... Mini games like that, maybe a whack-a-mole room? That would work...

Again, cool game! Thanks for making it! I haven't purchased IAP yet, but as I get some of the higher levels unlocked I need those thousand coins :p I watch the ads all the time, hope you make something off of those,