Has anyone beaten all of the FF: Crystal Defender maps?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by pahncrd, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Zyloch

Zyloch Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I actually beat the first 4 maps on W1, on my first or second try :\. It's pretty easy if you played TDs before. Just milk every rounds interest, thief helps a lot, usually get a thief during the second round. All you need is 1 soldier the first round, wait for it to kill the first mob, during the second round. Pause, build a thief, and pause when u get another 8 gold, because you'll need to build a second unit, either another soldier or mage. If you don't wanna risk it, build a soldier, at the start of the second round and once you get 50 gold, build a thief. Then upgrade/build basic units, don't use much. I had around 3k gold leftover during the end of round 30.

W2, and W3 however is much harder, but I haven't played in awhile. I probably could beat it in a few more tries.

2. vanfanel

vanfanel Member

Sep 9, 2008
    I finally beat all the maps. W2-M2 and W3-M2 were the hardest maps for me to overcome. Surprisingly, the last 2 maps for W3 weren't so bad. for W3-M2 I ended up with just 2 crystals left. For W3 maps in general I found the tinker unit very useful. I used 5 of them with a couple speed crystals around each one to slow the enemies down. There's a couple of waves on W3 that seem impossible without some type of summon. I think wave 27/28 (the one with the fast moving, resist/immune to magic). I didn't use any dragoons or flintlocks but I'm going to try some combination to see if they would work better in those troublesome waves.

Now maybe I'll have some time to go back and check out the 7 cities update :)

3. Skiff

Skiff New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    more strat

is there another page or even a website with posted strategies and more images? i beat the W1 pretty easily but am having a tough time with W2 M1, so i havent even tried the other maps.

4. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    I can clear W1, Map 1 with no problem.

I can also clear W2, Map 1 with 10 Crystals left. (I use the Espers twice during two of the fast waves).

For W2, Map 1 here is my strategy....

I use 2 Thieves, 1 Soldier, 1 Wizard, 1 Archer for levels 1-27. On L28 I add one more Wizard. L29 I add another Archer. L30 I have enough firepower to destroy all 3 "bosses" well before they reach the end to steal 3, 4 and 5 crystals respectively.

The key is the crystals of course. Each of my 3 allies have 4 of each crystal type around them, so they are all fully upgraded. I energize ones that are just out of reach so they all end up sharing the crystal effects.

I'll start another level right now and post a screenshot of my final setup if that will help.

Cheers!

5. krazyfingerzz

krazyfingerzz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Net Admin/Professor/I play with gadgets!
    I would love to see how you set that up because while I get to level 28 with your strategy, I end up dying. It must be where I'm placing them because all are level 7 and I even through on an extra soldier and time mages at different points but I can't beat it trying now non-stop for almost a frigging week. Help would be most welcome!

6. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    I take that back. I also use 3 level 2 Time Mages. I'll go through and take screenshots of my last few levels placement so you can see.

7. krazyfingerzz

Oct 22, 2008
    I will try again with that in mind. I've been jumping around tossing in those black mages but I can't really do it since between the enemies that get through and summoning, I'm all out by 28. Thanks!

8. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    Alright, here are the screenshots as promised. I didn't do as well this round because I let one of the final bosses escape with 5 crystals (leaving me with 6, instead of 11). I only used one summon on L28 (fast moving, immune to something).

First 8 screenshots.

Screenshot 1: Just the high-score.
    Screenshot 2: The proper placement at Wave 1. Upgrade Soldier to L2 at Wave 2. Upgrade Wizard & Archer to L2 at Wave 3. Upgrade Wizard to L3 at Wave 4. Upgrade Soldier to L3 at Wave 5. Place first +Dmg Crystal at Wave 6. Upgrade Archer to L3 & place second +Dmg Crystal at Wave 7.
    Screenshot 3: You should have enough Gil without using Thieves to achieve this setup by Wave 7. Soldier, Archer, Wizard (L3), and 2 +Dmg Crystals. By Wave 9, all three characters will be L4. You'll have enough Gil left over at the start of Wave 10 to place a single thief in the right position.
    Screenshot 4: Notice the two thief positions. At the start of Wave 10, you place a thief in the right position. At the end of Wave 10, you'll have 199-203 Gil, enough to place a second thief in the left position. Upgrade left thief to L2. Now start to upgrade all your characters to L5.
    Screenshot 5: The left thief is L3, the soldier is maxed in the middle with surrounding crystals. The Wizard and Archer are both L6, and I have 2 Time Mages (L1 or L2 at this point).
    Screenshot 6: Notice that the Soldier is completely maxed out. He has 4 of each crystal type extended to include him. The Wizard and Archer only need one or two more crystals to reach the same status. My Gil amount after this level is 814. I believe the left thief is L4 by this point, and every monster on Wave 21 died right in front of the left thief. I use this Gil to place and extend the rest of my crystals.
    Screenshot 7: I have added another Time Mage for good luck, extended my ring of crystals all around the characters, and by this time all characters are max level. I have not yet used a Summon, but I did let 4 fast moving targets in L24 slip by, hence only 16 crystals left. I used a summon during the next fast moving level (28 I believe), leaving me with 11 crystals at the end of that wave.
    Screenshot 8: I made a mistake by placing a Wizard in the top left section. The Archer should go in that position, and a +Attack Speed Yellow crystal should go in the Archer spot (Extended to include the original Archer). This is why I had a monster slip through in the final level.
    Screenshot 9: (Included in next post) Wave 30 clear! Not my best go around, but it was decent, leaving me with 6 crystals.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

9. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    The final two screenshots. First shows the final placement of the various crystals, and the last one is simply the win screen.

Attached Files:

10. krazyfingerzz

Oct 22, 2008
    Awesome! I was setting up initially in that area but I can see now that I he them too clustered at the bottom. here I go again, hopefully for the last time...

11. vanfanel

vanfanel Member

Sep 9, 2008
    #31 vanfanel, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
    The following strategy was able to get me to lvl 28 with 20 crystals and no summons used. I basically overloaded the right side. When I reached lvl 28 a summon is needed to finish them off but no summons are needed to finish off lvl 29 and 30. The first screenshot shows my final troop placement by lvl 23. The second screenshot shows additional crystals added 4 additional crystals at the bottom and 1 at the top. I didn't manage to get a final screenshot layout but I finished with 15 crystals. Lvl 28 (to a lesser extent 22 i think) are the hardest to pass. I'm still trying to find a way to do it without using a summon but the above was the closest. In the second screenshot I believe all the archers and the 2 monks are max lvl but they were still unable to take down lvl 28 :-/

I didn't really take down my strategy but it went something like this:

Start off with monk - lvl to 3
    add black mage - lvl to 3
    add yellow crystal - next to mage
    add black mage - lvl 1 - next to 1st mage
    add red crystal - next to mage
    add thief - lvl 2
    lvl 2nd black mage to lvl 2
    lvl thief - lvl 3
    add time mage - lvl 2/3 if possible
    add 2nd monk
    add archer/lvl thief to 4

After that I just kept adding archers and crystals with an occasional mage when the wave suggested it. The thief on the left is maxed...the thief on the righti think is only lvl 2. I try to perserve my coins to gain maximum bonus after each wave although I tend to spend most if not all upgrading archers/monk when I reach those waves with the fast moving creatures from screenshot 2. I think they're lvl 15,22 and 28 but I'm not positive. If someone wants more detail on my strategy let me know and I'll write it all down next time I try.

Attached Files:

12. krazyfingerzz

Oct 22, 2008
    Got it!

I finally did it, 14 crystals left and money I couldn't spend (I never say that outside of a game!). I ended up foregoing the time mages, and maxed out that archer's range, power, and speed, and added another level 7 archer next to it. I had the black mage at the bottom all maxed out with crystals, too, so I could finally get another one set up, up top, with less crystals but it did the trick. I never did get the soldier's range fully maxed, but in the end, it didn't matter. I thank you for showing me how you had everyone set up because I think that was the key. I'm trying now, after 1 go, to figure out how to surmount those unfortunately inconvenient obstacles in the advanced level. I'm not sure how I want to position everyone so I can get those maximums to work to the best advantage. Again, huge thanks for those screenshots! And thank God for Creeps! and 7Cities to keep me sane between goes with that W2 M1!

Attached Files:

13. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    Not bad at all Krazy. See, you don't really need more than 3 characters for the first 24-25 levels, then you add on another 1-2 for the last few levels, cast a single summon and you're good to go! :)

14. vanfanel

vanfanel Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Thanks for the strategies. I used your minimal troops and stacked crystal strategy and finally got a perfect :) First screen is the final troop layout. The 2 archers and monk on the left side were added after wave 27 to defeat wave 28. Everything on the screen was maxed out at this time. I even messed up the placement of 1 crystal in the upper right.

Attached Files:

15. romeo1

romeo1 Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Just finished

Just finished all maps on all worlds! Now to work on getting more perfects.

16. Jukes

Jukes New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Beat almost all maps, Except adv. on W3

Hey guys. I am, as you are, addicted to this game, otherwise why would you be here reading forums about it ;) Last night I just beat lvl3 on W3 with a perfect score!! My first one, so im super excited, but the advanced lvls on W3 are Really Really hard... haven't gotten through those yet.

Ok, I think I have a nice efficient strategy that will help you guys out. Key things to remember (its different on each world):

:eek::eek: Key SUPER IMPORTANT tip: :eek::eek:
    Brought to you by my friend who is also an addict. Only spend the money you need to make it through that round. This way you will start to have 100 gil, 300 gil, 900 gil left over after each round, and that goes into your bonus points at the end of each round (10%). Eventually, you'll be getting 50-70 extra gil at the en of each round, and you'll have a nice big pool of money if something arises that you're current layout can't defeat! Position you're guys so they attack once on the way in and once on the way out. For example, on W1, Lvl1, position your soldiers along the middle strip of land. That way, they will attack once when the enemies are on the first half of the map, then attack again when the enemies make it around the bend and back up to exit the map. Two for one. So halfway through wave 2 you should have a soldier lvl2 and a thief. :cool:

W1:
    Don't use the monks... without crystals they just don't deal enough damage and aren't fast enough to be as effective as soldiers. Also, you should be able to get through the entire 30 waves with only 2 or 3 soldiers fully maxed out to level 7. Also, only 3 mages and 3 archers. Always upgrade the ones you have before building more new ones. Dont build a second soldier until your first soldier is at least lvl 4. Same with the other units. Instead put your money into a thief. Also, the time mages are really important, but you only need one, just make sure he's fully upgraded asap, otherwise he's useless.

Try to bunch all your units up in one section of the map, preferably on straightaways that allow for attacking the unit in when they are going in one direction then again when they are going in the other direction. Position archers a little farther away from the edges, and mages directly in the middle of land masses. Thiefs also should always be positioned on an edge.

When I was playing through the first 4 levels, I structured my units so all the enemies would die in the first quarter of the map, none ever got past... mind you, everyone there was fully maxed out with a time mage and a thief right in the mix to slow them all down. I did have to use Rumah a few times, but Im developing a strategy that will avoid that, cuz you cant get a perfect if you use any summons :(

W2:
    Crystals crystals crystals!! I cant stress how vital they are, and how much more vital they are upgraded. Try to position your units in a star like pattern with crystals all around them, upgraded. All these crystals effects stack up so you can add 2 yellow crystals before upgrading, and you'll still be getting a significant boost in speed.

Also, this is where the berserkers really come into their own. I didn't use any soldiers at all ever on w2 or w3, the berserkers are beasts when yellow and red crystals are boosting them! Usually I start by creating a berserker with a yellow crystal, wave2 upgrade berserker add mage, wave3 upgrade mage... upgrade your berserker once more, and as soon as you get 50 gold, pause the game and add a thief. Make sure you thief is close you your crystal and your berserker. And make sure you mage is also being affected by your crystal. When you berserker is lvl 4 and your mage is lvl 4, upgrade your thief to lvl2. On W2 and W3, the thief gets an increased multiplier on his gil collection, this will dramatically increase your chances of survival. When in doubt with where to spend your money, just add more crystals around your existing maxed out guys, and upgrade those crystals. Otherwise, you can never have enough ground support, so add another berserker around your crystals.

W3
    If you have already beaten all of W1 and W2, this should actually be pretty cakewalky. I was able to beat both lvl1 and lvl3 in my first shot, and I only had to use a summon at the end of lvl3 because i experimented. The key here is keep doing what you've been doing, but throw in like 2 flintlocks, and add some tinker guys. These guys are great because they literally will stop an enemy cold... BUT beware, they will stop you're guys too. That means if you have a berserker out of a tinkers range, but he runs across the road to hit something, and gets into the tinkers range, that tinker will stop your berserker :mad:. So just make sure you psition them well out of battle but in range of your mage and archers attack. This will really help break up the stream so your team can easily pick of small groups of guys instead of a massive constant stream. Also, just like the time mages, Upgrade these guys or else they are useless.

I never really use dragoons... unless I'm bored, but they aren't very useful. Sure they have very high damage, and in a pinch, I will put one in, but they just attack to slow even with a buncha yellow crystals around them. However, that being said, they can be pretty useful for the last 4 bosses. As long as they are maxed lvl and have like 4 red crystals around them and as many yellow ones as you can fit. They can do up to 4500 damage per hit and that is nothing to sneeze at.

Final boss strategies, are just make sure you have enough time mages so that the bosses are ALWAYS slowed down. Put maxed out time mages everywhere.

You may be getting whooped by the snakes, i always did... If you use berserkers instead of soldier on W2 and W3, you should be just fine. They can really hammer down on those guys.

That about does it. I just replayed W1, Lvl1, and beat it with a perfect, that makes 2 perfects so far. If you just follow the super important tip at the top, you too will be able to rock out perfects. I've found that without the power crystals it really makes W1 a lot harder than the other two worlds. So don't get discouraged if your having trouble with that world. Try W2 or W3!

Good Luck Everyone!!

17. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Wow gratz dude! I must suck...:(
    Anyway, this has to be the most addicting/badass TD game in the appstore, I freaking love it!:D

18. Arthy

Arthy New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    This is how I made perfect in all maps

Hi,

I just finished making perfects on W1/1, W1/3, W2/1, W2/3, W3/1, W3/3 (with a score of 12002) (well... all maps without ADV - I think it need more time to get perfect on those ADV maps)

Just want to share how to get perfect on all those maps.

--- Key Factors ---

1. Thief is always the first priority. Try to save money to upgrade him to lvl4 as your "first priority" (each level of thief has different money bonus 1.5/2.0/2.5/3.0). Also make sure it is placed somewhere your warhead will be throwing. In W2 - I used 2. In W3 - I used 1.

2. I didn't use fighter/monk at all for all maps of W2-W3. Comparing with other long range unit, fighter and monk have the shortest continuous attack time.

3. Crystal Power is the ultimate key for W2/W3. You can use up to 4 crystals to boost up unit attack/range/speed.

4. Archer is the best unit for me. With it upgraded to lvl7 with 4 red & 4 yellow crystal, it is a definitely killing machine.

5. For any attack type unit, having 4 red and 4 yellow around him meaning you have "nine of lvl7 units". Here is the explanation, imagine a unit with attack of 100 - speed of 50. With 4 red and 4 yellow, it has attack power of 300 - speed of 150. This mean you are dealing 300% of attack power at 3 times faster than normal lvl7 unit.

6. I use 1 archer, 1 black mage, 1 flintlocks, 2 dragoon, a few combination of tinker/time mage. Well I notice people here does not like dragoon. But it is what you need to pass wave 28 without using summon. In summary, I have 5 attackers and fews slow/stop (and of course, a thief).

--- Crystal Power ---

Here is how you get a "perfect defender" with Crystal power.
    - For thief, surround him with 4 blue crystals (this make him able to run around 50% of "entire" map).
    - For attackers, surround them with 4 red and 4 yellow crystals to get "9 times" of attack power
    >> this mean if you have 5 units, you virtually have 5 x 9 = 45 units of lvl7 attacker
    - For slower/stopper, surround them with 4 yellow crystals
    >> 4 yellow crystal will ensure you have enough speed to cast a magic to "every single monster" that try to pass by, even the fast-moving monster

If you manage to create an intersected attack zone between perfect time mage/perfect tinker/perfect black mage, you will have a nearly perfect killing zone. Every single monsters will be frozen in the zone for a very long time, and they will always be eliminated by perfect black mage (with group effect spell - every single attack will hit the entire group of frozen monsters). If a monster manage to escape by, it will be moving like a snail.

--- Why not fencer/monk? ---

In my opinions, even long range attacker has lower attack power than close range fighter, but utilization time of them are much longer.

- Imagine a soldier can deal 1,000 damage per second and archer can deal 400 damage per second.
    - A soldier can attack at 3x3 area around him, make him at most able to attack for 20 seconds (e.g. 1 round on the left, 1 round on the right). This make him contribute to 20,000 damages in a wave.
    - An archer can attack at 9x9 area around him, make him at most able to attack for 150 seconds (e.g. virtually 80% of the time as he can reach an enemy in 360 degree all the time regardless of the location of an enemy). This make him contribute to 60,000 damages in a wave.
    - So, this make a long range attacker generally contribute to 300% more damage to a single wave.
    - In addition, fighter/monk cannot attack flying unit, making them very not worth for the money.
    - Moreover, the close combat cannot fight with monster in tinker attack range while range attacker does not has this conflict with tinker.

I think fighter/monk is only effective at early waves, but they become less effective later on. Thus, instead of spending into fighter/monk, I put them all to long ranges attackers.

--- Placement Strategy - step 1: the gang of three (archer-black mage-thief) ---

- Start looking for a place to place your archer and black mage
    - Put them together while having a space for sharing 2-3 crystals between them
    - Put 3 yellow crystal between them while upgrading them to higher level
    - Try to have a thief on the map as soon as possible
    - Prioritize all spending into 4 activities below
    1) upgrading thief to lvl4
    2) add yellow crystal to archer/mage until they have 4 yellow crystals
    3) add red crystal to archer/mage until they have 4 yellow crystals - if you need to energize it, try to upgrade unit lvl first.
    4) upgrading archer/mage to lvl7
    5) put 4 blue crystal around thief

With above placement & spending, you will now have a very powerful long range killing machine with utilization rate above 80% and cash making unit that run around 50% of the map.

This only 3 units are enough to make your way until near the end of wave 30 of all maps (requiring a few summon, without a perfect).

This 3 units has below strength/weakness.

* Strength *
    - Use lowest money to built (only 3 units), you can have this formation since early waves
    - Can attack ALL types of monsters in all waves (flying, resist physical, resist magical)
    - Utilization rate is above 80% - depends on your placement (they always attack monster in all 360 degree)

* Weakness *
    - Fail to beat immune to physical/magical as 1 unit will become useless, lossing 50% of attack power
    - Potential fail to beat resist to physical/magical as 1 unit will become less effective
    - Potential fail to beat fast moving as they are fast :p

You can save all money without spending once you have this formation until you reach a wave that attack above weakness.

--- Placement Strategy - step 2: the gang of no weakness ---

To obtain a perfect in all maps/waves, you need additional spending to fix some weakness of above combination.

- Add flintlocks (lvl7, 4 red, 4 yellow) to fix weakness to physical immune (no need for W2)
    - Add dragoon (lvl7, 4 red, 4 yellow) to fix weakness to magical immune
    - Add time mage (lvl4, 4 yellow) to fix weakness to fast moving

Actually above 3 additional units are enough to wipe out any wave (including boss). You can save all money without spending once you have this formation until wave 28 (fast moving + immune to magic + high HP).

--- Placement Strategy - step 3: the gang of perfect crystal defender ---

In wave 28, it makes time mage/black mage/flintlocks become useless and have only archer and dragoon left. This is not enough to wipe out high HP & fast moving monster with just 2 physical attackers. To fix this situation,

- Add additional dragoon (lvl7, 4 red, 4 yellow): Put dragoon at center of the map to ensure it always do the job, focus him to be more at the 2nd half of the map
    - Add a few tinkers (lvl4, 4 yellow): Put 2 tinkers (mandatory with 4 yellow, optional with lvl4), of course far from ally units, focus him to be somewhere that stop a monster in the spot that your archer and 2 dragoons can attack.

With above combination,

- Your tinkers (with 4 yellow) will make this wave last longer and provide more time for your 3 physical attackers to perform the mission.
    - Archer (with lower attack power but higher speed) will cut the HP of every single monsters down to certain level.
    - 2 dragoons will perform finishing touch to all of monsters that are likely to escape to the exit (dragoon at lvl4 with 4 red will always kill the damaged monster with a single blow)

And that's it, once you have above team, it is 100% perfect crystal defender to any kind of monsters this game has to offer. No need to spend any more money. You can save all money until you finish the boss. Even the boss will become nothing to this formation. The only weakness of this formation is you will never see the effect of summon. :p

19. sygg

sygg Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I'd say this is the best TD game in strategy category. Cystal is really good design. Really hate its Lame graphic and control.

20. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    I've never been able to beat the last stage of W1.
    At the start of the stage, I always made 2 soldiers because the road forks at the very beginning and the monsters come out from both roads going separate ways. And then I made two mages, two archers, two time mages, two thiefs, and then made a couple mages before getting myself defeated.
    Can anyone help with a strategy?