Has iOS gaming ruined our perception of "instant gratification"?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by awp69, Jun 14, 2013.

1. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I was always a hardcore gamer and I think iOS spoiled me.

I have a full time job etc etc but I do have free time to play games. But after my iPad (got the iPhone 1 year later) I find myself playing games and discarding them - even premium ones like TWEWY and Chaos Rings 2.

I used to finish long games (like Final Fantasies) but after iOS, sigh... I even bought Diablo 3, Skyrim and Torchlight 2 but every week I find something new to download on my iDevices so I end up finishing barely any of them.

Last one I finished was God of Blades but the game was quite short, and it captivated me a lot for some reason but other than this, oh well.

2. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Same. Bloody hell this thread is hilarious and kinda sad at the same time.

I feel like there is a cheesy movie with Nic Cage in here somewhere. Lets call it HARDCORE.

"Former hardcore gamer John Styles (Cage) gives up his previous passion to raise his family. In his limited free time John develops a fondness for IOS gaming. What starts out as innocent fun quickly spirals into full blown App addiction. Downloading anything that half resembles a cheap thrill, John becomes a shell of the gamer he once was.

When John's son Billy (Rico Rodriguez) asks if he can get a PS4 John obliges unaware of the danger lurking online. Seeing Billy's abysmal kill/death ratio on COD forces John to confront his App addiction and attempt to help his struggling son. To move passed IOS gaming and save that which he holds most dear, John Styles must again become HARDCORE"

3. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    4 tha love of "it" we still keep on. Our happyness in video games.
    To Touch Arcade past present 7 future i dedicate

Blue Magic - Sideshow

4. proof21

proof21 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012

Spot on.

5. Farfield

Farfield Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    I love iOS as a unofficial gaming platform, but over the years I've been thinking the problem is that iOS has no identity as gaming platform. Weekly there are a long list of releases and they're just simply games.

I don't wanna disparage the games or the platform, but I think it's time for iOS to put quality over quantity. I have a huge list of games in my history list and I've never play them or even installed on my phone.

I really don't know much about how the console market on handheld platforms works, but I think iOS needs input on they games. iOS has no identity as 3DS has Pokemon, Mario or Zelda; as PSVita has I don't know, Killzone? I don't know much about the titles. My point is, there are a huge list of great games for iOS, and with games like Max Payne, Dead Space, Street Fighter IV Volt, Infinity Blade, Bastion and Chaos Rings it's proved that it's a good platform with great potential but it needs to be exploded. It needs to have blockbuster titles of his own.

6. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Trying to save the blame game stuff and the whys and why nots for another thread, of which there are plenty, I'd like to chip in that it's pricing at fault.

If you get used to paying a buck for a game every time, your brain catches on that they're worthless and you end up attributing no value, and thus no importance to them. Even the great ones you know you would've paid $30+ to get on other formats.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #27 Vovin, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
    I'd like to throw in two more cents.

The things I say don't apply to everyone and every game, but I think it fits the majority of us well.
    The whole problem depends not only on the prices of the apps, which are ridiculous at 1-3 bucks, it's also the sheer mass of games that's rolling over us like a huge wave, every week (well, only giving us a rest at a silent week without much releases, sometimes).
    Today, EVERYONE is able to release games at the Appstore. Everyone. So, what's happening is basically kind of a never-ending Klondike Gold Rush. In search of making money, getting out a big hit like Doodle Jump, Angry Birds, Clash of Clans or Candy Rush Saga, thousands of people started making games.
    And since we got quite a few talented game makers around the world, we have at least 5-15 quality releases every week. Just check all those GotW threads on touchArcade. Or just sit down and check your iTunes receipes of the last 12 months... and how much games you've bought.

Only 6-7 years back, we were in a completely different situation. We bought 1-2 games per month, some people maybe more, some less. We payed around 20-60$ apiece. But we were looking forward to new games we like for months, patiently waiting to finally get our hands on a new game.
    So maybe we're spoiled, because all that good stuff is just too much to handle. We don't have the time anymore to care for each game we accquire equally. We have no time to play though everything as it deserves it. We just keep getting flodded and drowned by games. If we're honest about ourselves - we don't need that much games - we could live with 3-4 new games every month, not every week. And instead of appreciating all those games, we're end up wasting more money than we save, cause all games we buy and don't play, are wated money for us. Only positive thing is that we support developers with out behaviour. Any honestly: has anyone of you ever been able to clean his entire backlog? I doubt it.
    We turned into a greedy bunch of hunters and collectors.
    So, we have our backlog, but we rarely look back at it. Cause there's always something new, fresh, better.
    We could only change that when we start to handle all this in a more mature way. We simply need the mental strenght to buy one game at a time and leave it at that. We need more disciplince. And gaming... feels a bit like it turned from a nice long $60-dinner in the evening to 5-minute 5-bucks-fast food at your favourite burger restaurant.
    A while ago, gaming was more of a long-term-relationship with a partner we love; today, it's only a few kisses and sometimes an one-night-stand.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #28 Exact-Psience, Jun 15, 2013
    Definition of terms...

Buckhole - an iOS gamer who generally hates IAP infested games and the freemium pay model, but wont buy premium games unless they drop down to $0.99.

We have lots of that here in TA, and there's more outside in the real world.

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    That may account for the low prices and App Store mentality, but I certainly don't fall into that category and I still have way too many games...the vast majority of which do go unfinished. While there's plenty of crap on the App Store, there's still usually at least 3-4 good ones each week. It's being able to resist temptation, regardless of cost, that leads to the never ending backlog of games (at least for me).

10. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Very, very good thread and so pleased it's not just me. My eldest son has just bought a new game for his DS - animal crossing - and he's saved up since Christmas. He'll spend the next six months on it whilst I'll be constantly hoovering up new releases giving my favourite developers a pittance as all the monies I pay are spread so thin. I haven't bought anything this week but really want to give Radiangames some money by buying crush, but by buying it I'll only give him the price of a mars bar, which I find quite sad. I will pick it up though - and then pick up another six or seven games this exascerbating the problem further.

11. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Sometimes I secretly hope that the App Store will break down for about 6 months or so. Maybe longer. :p

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    As I mentioned somewhere in another thread, the amount of recycling done with casual games these days has already pushed me away to the extent I'll usually hang on for a deeper strategy title or something. So in a sense I'm finding it quite easy to cut down as I wasn't just failing to finish my games, but also began to get bored of starting them at all.

13. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    So, have you picked up Agricola yet? ^_^

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Nobody answered my questions in the thread :p

I'm tempted, but I really gotta start saving for my PS4...

15. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    It is listed as having Retina support, but the font and much of the art have been lifted directly from the board game (cleaned up slightly for the digital setting), so whether or not the graphic design works for you will depend on your tastes. Because I know how much you love my photos, here's one to help you make a judgement:

[​IMG]

Go, pick it up. Do it. Skip a sandwich. Do it.

Do it.

Do it.

16. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    +_+

/buys Agricola

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #37 Vovin, Jun 15, 2013

I had Inferno+ but picked the other stuff up! It's great stuff! Don't forget Super Crossfire, which is published by Chilingo!

Omg, what am I doing here?

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #38 Vovin, Jun 15, 2013

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! So funny!

... so true, sigh.

Do you guys even know that we're having a social group called "Anonymus Appaholics" (or vice versa) on tA?
    Wait, I get the link.
    Register there and confess that you're an addict.
    We're giving you support there, and a shoulder to lean on. You're among equals.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/group.php?groupid=2

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Admittedly, i belong in this category. So to join up...

20. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I couldn't join as there's a good chance I'd get addicted to that too.