Universal Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (by Blizzard)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Apr 2, 2014.

1. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

The last sentence is correct. Apple gets a fee for every iAP bought on the iPad version but if you buy packs from the PC client, Blizzard handles it.

2. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    What do I do now? Avengers, warhammer,FTL and now this!!! (Just bought them all)

I'll have to create another split personality so that I can share all these games amongst all my selves!!

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #23 Ayjona, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    Game Impressions

This is an incredibly polished product. But anyone with a long-standing (or just new but passionate and in-depth) interest in CCGs might soon find themselves fatigued or even disillusioned by the mechanics. Hearthstone is a very, very simplistic CCG, and depth of strategy and variety suffer for it, the reasonably large card selection notwithstanding.

While the mechanics might compare favourably to recent five-lane card games, from Shadow Era to Order & Chaos Duels (and even Solforge, though there is a bit more going on there), at least initially, Hearthstone seems almost childish next to far less successful recent attempts, such as Scrolls. Compared to a game with uncommonly complex and intricate mechanics, such as Assassins' Creed: Recollection, or to some of the still standing cardboard titans (giants in a very small walled garden though they might be) such as Android: Netrunner, Call of Cthulhu, Vampire: the Eternal Struggle and that other card game, you know, Hearthstone mostly resembles an introductory course in card gaming (this is really not meant as a demeaning comparison, but accurately describes how I feel when I play).

This also makes the game perfect for casual TCGers, or newcomers to the genre. And since this apparently a large part of Blizzard's intent, the product itself is probably a huge success in design. And above sentiments are not really criticism, for I am impressed by Blizzard's work. It just really, really isn't the CCG for me, and probably not for most other CCG veterans as well. (But there might be hope for us yet...)

4. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I just started playing this on my PC about 2 weeks ago. I'm what I would consider a beginner at CCG games. I haven't played a whole lot of it yet. I've made it through the 5 tutorial type matches and have then unlocked the hunter and warrior. Have yet to play with either of those two. Anyway, it seems like this game will really work well on iOS devices and I'm excited for its arrival. Hopefully this leads to Blizzard either making new games or porting old favorites over to iOS.

5. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    How do you create a Canadian account? I want this and don't wanna wait :)

6. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    (so excited)

Downloading now... I've been playing on my laptop for the last month'ish..

7. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Bleh that it requires an internet connection the whole time.

8. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    I had been debating about making one but it's SUPER simple! This is where I learned how... :)

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/App+Store/feature.asp?c=57896

It just finished download Hearthstone! I can't wait to get back into it again! It looks like it will be much better on iPad vs my laptop.

9. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Easy to guess where you must be from...

10. rdriskell

rdriskell Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Two weeks?!!! I was hoping soft launch today meant us launch tomorrow! Crossing fingers....

11. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    I too would love that, but let's wait and see... :)

12. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    My initial impressions have not been overly positive. Excellent production values, but the game feels very much like every other freemium card game released to date. I'm hoping that the game opens up more as I progress.

13. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    How does it works for iPad 2?

14. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Is there a guide to making a Canadian account anywhere on here? I bet that'd be a great post or forum thread...

15. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Man I am really debating on making a NZ account to grab this. Is it worth it? Any idead on how long this soft launch will be? Also if I do the NZ account thing will updates for it only go through the NZ account? Maybe there is a way to transfer progress to the US store once it gets released there?

16. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    Do you live in the US and do this? Any reason not to? Once created and downloaded just switch back to the us account I assume?

17. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    If you do make a NZ account progress will transfer since it syncs with Batttle.net. I would totally do it! It only takes like 5 or ten minutes and then you will be able to try out free ios titles before they show up here in the US! :) On the previous page I posted the link where I learned how to make one.

18. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Yes. A couple of Months, pretty sure they want to make it Bullet Proof. Yes you will be able to switch between the different Builds since everything is binded to your Blizznet Account and not actually your iDevice or PC or Facebook Account so switching between the different Devices is not a Problem at all.

19. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    #39 Card, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    Playing on my ipad 2 right now... it's choppy, but it works.

20. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Thanks man, now I just need to figure out how to create a NZ account. Why do I see alot of people talking about making a Canadian account instead of a NZ one?