Universal Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (by Blizzard)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Never played this before until last night, super addictive! I was awake till 4am and had to force myself to put it down.
    First game to keep me awake in ages.

Who would've thought that a card game, would be this addictive and good.

I'm not planning on spending money in game, but I like grinding... Makes you feel you are achieving something.

At moment I am trying to get each class to lvl 10 as advised in tips on here. Pain though as I want to use warrior class as that is always my favourite class. I hate magic users... But in getting each class to level 10, you unlock a decent amount of universal cards and favourite class cards, and learn about other class cards/styles

2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Are you always fighting actual people or do you grind with the CPU?

3. KineticBlur

KineticBlur Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2014
    a. I was a huge, huge Ascension fan up to where they had released the first 3-4 expansions. Used to play it daily, long before I tried Hearthstone, and absolutely loved it.

b. I also started playing HS without the intention to spend money. However once you get a feel for the cards and see how the higher-valued 'Epics', 'Rares' and 'Legendary' cards have such a fun impact on the game, you probably won't be able to resist the temptation to spend at least some money to unlock them for yourself. Which is definitely not a bad thing, supporting such a fun game IMO.

c. The game is f2p, but definitely not p2w beyond a certain threshold. You could have all the cards yet still not have reached legend due to a lack of time in a given 30-day season, or a lack of experience or knowledge of the game's 'meta' at any given time.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions or concerns about the game and i'd be happy to help out. Hope you embark on your journey soon, you'll really enjoy it IMO :)

4. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks a lot KineticBlur! I appreciate your time to write that.

I'm definitely not a free loader as I'll pay if I feel like it's a good investment for the devs. I just don't pay for games if every time they release something new, it beats everything else then (as you said) it would be pay 2 win. I don't have enough money or time to become a ultimate player at anything sadly :p But I do want to play a popular game where even a casual guy can enjoy and not feel like he's getting whooped by pros.

I'll message you if I have questions! :)

5. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    #1645 Andre, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    @KineticBlur: agree with you. The game looks very good in iPhone.

6. KineticBlur

Jul 21, 2014
    No problem :) If you ask me, these are the pre-requisites I personally feel and would recommend to any person wanting to start out in HS with the ability to build a decent, competitive deck for online play:

1. Buy the Curse of Naxxramas expansion for $25. This is the first single-player expansion which unlocks a great set of basic cards useable in many decks.

2. Buy 40 Classic Packs for $50. This will allow you to get basic, but very important cards for your initial decks. For players just starting out, the cards they happen to unlock via packs determines what deck they play. But for people who have ample card options to choose from, only then can you "pick and choose" which class and what style of deck to play. In these 40 packs, you have a high chance of opening at least 2 Legendary Cards which make the biggest impact in-game.

If you've finished 1 and 2, and made it this far while still maintaining an interest in the game, I would suggest:

3. Buy 40 GvG (Goblin vs Gnomes) packs for $50. This is an entirely new 'card set' with fantastic new abilities and features, which is essential for mid to high level play, or even survivability in the online matchups.

4. Last but not least, invest another $25 in the latest expansion: Blackrock Mountain. This is being released, wing-by-wing over a staggered 5 weeks. Of the 5 weeks, 2 of them are already released. Basically, each week allows 3-4 new cards to be unlocked.

If the above is too overwhelming, don't worry about it. Just download the game for free and practice vs the computer in offline mode to get a feel for things. Then take it from there :)

7. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    The interface works very well on iPhone 6+. No slowdowns that I've noticed.

I hope I'm right in assuming that unlocked campaign dlcs are linked to your account, cross platform. Can anyone confirm this? I haven't bought them yet, but I plan to imminently.

8. KineticBlur

Jul 21, 2014
    Yes, but only on a specific server. If you purchase any Expansions or Card Packs on the North America server for example, these would not reflect if you use the same BNet account to play on the Europe or Asia servers.

9. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Lovely write up - most appreciated! I'm saving all that to my clipboard notes now. I'm going to play the game later tonight so maybe then I'll have an idea of what you're referring to. I actually in the middle of installing. Time to see how amazing this game really is! So if I like it, I'll go for the #1 expansion you listed first.

Cheers man!

10. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008

Thanks for letting me know.

11. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    #1651 Nekko, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  12. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Quick tip for anyone interested, the series of videos by professional hearthstone streamer Jeffery "Trump" Shih are quite helpful for those getting into the game. The series is called "Trump Teachings" and can be found via a quick YouTube search.

13. KineticBlur

Jul 21, 2014
    Nice tip! His videos are great for picking up basic concepts for those new to the game.

14. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Trump is great. TotalBiscuit is also worth a look if you don't mind a bit of cynical English humour. He's nowhere near as good as Trump though.

To anyone wondering if you have to pay to enjoy this I haven't spent a cent and over a year later I'm still enjoying myself. It's made most of my other iPad games redundant to be honest.

And I wasn't an on-line gamer before either, I make an exception for this ...

15. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
  16. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    You can grind against cpu and then play against real players

17. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Do you often go to Arena?

18. Myqpalzm

Myqpalzm Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Pamulang, Indonesia
    Anyone here know how I feel about this? :(

Attached Files:

19. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    disappointed? Or sad? Did you cry?

20. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Yeah, really. :D

(Do you find that surprising or something? I'm a little confused by your response. # )