Universal Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (by Blizzard)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    The last time i played was the Naxx patch (had to wait for the iPhone version before I played again),now I'm having a hard time winning matches :( I don't have the GvG and BRM cards and my tempo rogue deck which used to pwn just won't cut it anymore.

2. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Hence the meta will always change. ;)

3. arr4ws

arr4ws Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Any way to pause a game?

4. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    not against a real person.

I think you can click the cog or just let it sit there when you play against the AI though

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The port is generally polished to silliness, as expected. But the card hand tray mechanic surprises me. And annoys me even more.

That we can't see card texts is understandable, a concession for the format (though I would have liked the option to have all cards displayed across the middle of the screen by default, text readable and all, only to have the hand disappear as soon as I startd dragging a card).

But to have two different modes for the hand that show exactly the same info, and where you have to tap the hand in the first mode to bring up the second hand mode and play cards, is a puzzling design choice. It might not seem much of an obstruction, but after a few hundred or thousands turns (or from turn one, as the case might be), not being able to drag and play cards you have known by heart for years directly as your turn begins becomes cumbersome and frustrating. Tap economy abuse.

Had the expanded hand actually displayed anything the minimized hand did not, I might have seen the wisdom of this design. But now, the minimized hand is just a barrier to gameplay.

Reversing the order of the modes, so that cards are brough up and playable by default, with an optional tap to minimize the hand and see the whole battlefield, would have made more sense (unless Blizzard actually thinks we forget all current summon in between every turn and need a constant reminder).

But I'd have preferred a single hand mode from where I could both drag to play, tap-n-hold to view cards, with enough room left to direct my summons to attack targets.

6. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Agreed.

7. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    I'm sure they did thousands of A/B tests on the default state of the screen and determined that showing the field with a minimized hand was best for the majority of users.

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #1668 Ayjona, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    I wish this was standard practice with all important design choices, but even with developers such as Blizzard, this is not often the case.

9. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    TB is my favorite Internet personality honestly, so I'm really glad you reminded me about his HS content, which is actually what got me to play again after stopping at some point in the beta. His videos are fantastic, and while he is no where near the level of someone like Trump or any other big HS streamer, he has such a great personality it's hard not to watch him over some of the higher ranked players.

10. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Anybody have any info on data usage with this on mobile? Now that I can play on my phone I want to be sure I don't get grounded by my wife for burning all our data in a week

Also, I'm not new but I haven't played much for the last year. I've bought several GvG decks but do not own naxx or brm. Should I be buying GvG or classic decks? Can I get epics/legendaries from the original release (I play Druid and have no ancients of war or cenarius)?

11. Opheus

Opheus Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2014
    #1671 Opheus, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    L.Lawliet I actually quite surprised that you haven't tried Hearthstone yet, since you and Exact-Psience are quite active poster so I just assume you try most if not all game on TA. My IGN is Ophelious#1276. I have played for more than a year, completely F2P though. If you decide to stick with HS And play on NA server, add me, I might be able to help you out in case you have any question about the game.

12. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Dunno. I think they nailed it with how they've changed the UI to fit on a tiny screen. Played it on my iPad as well and am perfectly fine with how it plays on my iPhone.

13. horizoniki

horizoniki Active Member

Oct 28, 2014
    I moved to EU, add me TA buddies :)
    horizoniki#2698

14. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Ok no one responded before, and I know I am on a 4s, but it says its compatible and runs fine, until the crash. I can't play more than one match without it crashing. With that glaring of an issue, plus the fact I have an authentication still attached to my account that I sold off a long time ago( so had to make a new one... Anyone know the fasest way to fix that? It's my old wow battle net acct) I doubt I can keep this on my phone with limited real estate.

Really sucks cuz it's fun as all get out, and I am pretty decent at it after playing magic for years and what not... Plus the lore. Blah. Anyone else with this issue, or info on it??

15. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Question about basic packs. My strategy has been to complete quests and play Arena for G&G packs, but I'm not getting any basic packs. Should I spend gold on them or just figure that eventually the G&G packs will lead to dust and I can craft specific cards?

16. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Well, just so we get this out of the way, you'll probably never collect everything without spending a TON of cash. So just keep that in mind. Don't think about this in terms of "collecting them all." Think about it in terms of finding a deck or style that works for you (and then of course, making 9 decks that work, eventually). My best thought would be, since you're new, is to watch some popular Youtube videos and see if there are any of the heroes or deck types you like the look of. Are those cards found in the basic or GvG? Go after them that way.

Although I might suggest you save your gold to buy the Solo Adventures. You'll get a bunch of fantastic cards that way, plus experience playing different classes and decks.

17. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Well lost my progress because I cant remember that battlenet address I used and I really dont want to start over :(

18. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    ahh haha well I just don't play online games all that much. I only have 2 online games on my iphone that I really really love otherwise I usually don't go for them. I'm worried the servers will shut off or because I have spotty wifi that I'll lose progress or won't be able to play. I'm more of a single player campaign guy anyways.

I did just add you! We'll see how long I can handle this but I'll message you if I have questions. Thanks a lot Opheus :)

From what I see on the iphone, all the solo adventures only cost cash and someone else I saw online said that you shouldn't buy any of the classic or g&g cards because they're a waste :\

19. Opheus

Opheus Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2014
    On your iPhone, go to solo adventures, choose the adventure you want, there will be option to purchase it with gold. At first, try to complete all the starting quests that will give you free gold and packs, then lvl up all character to lvl 10. You might need to go to some dedicated HS forum like Hearthpwn, liquid hearth... To find more info, but stay away from Blizzard official forum. That place is a plague full of troll and nerf thread, you can't hardly get any good advice there.

20. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Agree...