Universal Hell Quest: Tears of God (by Forest Moon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JoshCM, Mar 16, 2013.

1. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    No problem. Use your souls wisely. :)

oh, and here are a few more codes.

LYTJJRFMYJN6
    Y9KLLE47A7KX
    TFTTEMTLWLXA
    X49X7NWK3W9Y
    MKWX794TL36R
    PARLLEXN36WR
    LAYXWA4K36E7
    THT69N3E7HT4

2. jonnycache

jonnycache Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    Took LAYXWA4K36E7

Look forward to checking this out when I get home.

3. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I used Y9KLLE47A7KX. Thanks.

4. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Took LYTJJRFMYJN6, thank you. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

5. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    how does the mana work to be especific?

I always see a little blue bar at the top of my health that goes between half and empty but never full, does the mana increase the rate we can use our skills?

You should add as well a tutorial that explains much better the fuctions of every skill and pasive effect of every character specially since i think in some sentences you're using Old English if i'm correct, and since english is not my native some words of the old english are out of my league

6. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #46 smuttlegiaco, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    glad you like the game guys! :)

yeah, we'll give you much more information during the new tutorial. but for the time being, go to:

Options -> The Decalogue (quick rules) and Rules

for more information.

The new patch will also alter how Quests work. Right now you can play each sort of mission (pilgrimage, exorcism and crusade) whether you need to play the mission to fulfill yor quest or not. In the future only those missions will be playable, which you need to unlock the "warden crusade".

@sakinnuso: the game is NO casual game, be assured of that. the term "mid-core" is what I would deem right for the game. you need skill, you need luck. sometimes one is more prevalent than the other, as in many games.

as to the computer cheating: the AI does not cheat. of course your enemies have skills, which can be quite devastating. sometimes when I play, I have the enemy at 50 or so hitpoints and then luck turns....arrrgghh. but that's good imo, because if you succeed then, it feels even better than a "normal" victory. :)

@ausar: the blue line above your lifeforce bar shows the state of your mana regeneration. you will notice, that it goes right, if you end your turn before the enemy does, meaning: your mana reg increases. on the other hand, if your enemy ends his round before you, it will go left, meaning mana reg is slowly coming to a complete stop. I promise not to use old english words in the tutorial (nor have I used them in the rules).

7. jonnycache

jonnycache Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    Sorry guys this is the worst of the worst type of game that plagues the App Store. Less said the better.

8. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    This is a dice rolling RPG twist on the worst type of game on the App Store :p
    However, this one is actually fun, IMO

9. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    @jonnycache: too bad you don't like the game. not everything is for everyone! :)

10. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Cool game and fun to play. The presentation is very atmospheric. However, I rarely ever spend any time with game with timers and limited currency acquired via IAP. This would have been one I supported if it was a paid game without the freemium trappings , but as is, it is not for me.

11. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    @slewis: please note that there is no paywall whatsoever. if you don't spend souls, the game will take more time - you have to grind longer to get resources.

if you have died and don't want to spend souls, you have two options: either wait until resurrected (note: we lowered the time from 24h to 12h) or cancel the mission (-> your char is fully healed again, but mission progress is lost). once you progress in the game, you can also go on a mission with more than one character. if one dies, you can play with the other.

I want you guys to understand, that first of all, we want you to play our game. This is why we integrated different mechanisms that allow non-spenders to play the way they want. we just did a lousy job communicating the options you have (will be fixed with the first patch that we upload today).

also note: you have a chance after each battle to cleanse an evil soul, thus getting premium currency (we also raised this chance in the first update).

12. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

Codes all gone and not posted to say thanks!! That's just ungrateful!

13. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Just wanted to stop back after playing for a while and say I'm loving it. It is very well balanced and plays like what I would imagine a Yahtzee RPG game would be like. Great job on the game, I'm going the throw you $5 via IAP because this game is worth that much to me and more. Thanks again for the early copy.

14. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    thanks ojtitus! very much appreciated!

we put a lot of effort in the game. as you can perhaps imagine, the time before release is really hard, especially since the game is basically a "new" genre, where we can't tell if it'll work or not (meaning: whether people like it or not)

comments like yours keep us going! :)

15. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Anyone collect any special dice yet?

16. Hobbesian

Hobbesian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Any word on when IOS 5's update hits?

17. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    patch with iOS5 support is uploaded and will hopefully be reviewed by Thursday!

iPod4 and iPad1 is supported also! we managed to reduce RAM usage quite a bit! :)

18. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    I. Am. Freaking. Out!:eek::D

Come ON Apple!:p:D

DBC

19. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I will go ahead and download this again once it's released in the U.S., but based on my time with the Canadian version before I finally deleted it, I doubt that I'm going to be sticking with it unless the monetization mechanisms are tweaked.

Currently, no expenditure gets you anything permanent. "Premium" mode is purely a subscription (and $10 a month at that). It seems like it should function like a coin doubler, spend $2.99 and, ta-da, no more ads, bigger rewards for combat, and more uber dice slots. Instead it's just an incentive to grind as much as possible while it's in effect, and woe to those who don't feel like playing this game all the time because that "Premium" mode is going to expire. Never mind the annoyance of having the game remind you after every single battle that you aren't premium enough.

It's just an all around bad fit: You've done something interesting, making a hard core Yahtzee-style game set in a (horridly translated*)dark context with RPG elements, but then mixed in the worst of freemium tactics: annoying and, at times, punitive timers, constantly draining consumable IAP, in your face nudging toward the constantly draining consumable IAP, etc..

* Honestly, "Abandon hope all ye who enter here" is a classic phrase known by nearly everyone by the time they're in their late teens and, yet, somehow the game was released in with it in full blown Engrish, "All hope abandon, ye who enter in!")

I see nothing here that is going to appeal to the typical free to play audience, and yet I see plenty here that is going to drive off the would-be audience in massive numbers.

----

In a different theme, if it's not been reported already, if you turn off the (repetitive, annoying) piano "music" loop but leave the other sounds on, the only sounds that play after you exit and return to the app are the dice rolls, everything else will be muted.

20. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #60 smuttlegiaco, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    we don't force you to buy premium. and we balanced the game so that you can still access the full game without paying a single dollar. it will mean more grinding and longer wait times, but no part of the game is closed down for people who don't want to pay.

you can easily counter the wait times by using the other mechanics we used to make the game accessible to non payers: cancel the mission you're in and you have full HP again or use the offerwall ( upon reaching level 10) to get souls (+ you have a chance of getting a soul after each battle). hell, we've even integrated that you can take more characters into one mission, meaning: if one dies, you continue with one of the other's.

and yes, we want our players to play the game as often as possible. if they go the premium route and decide they want to fully use the time they have, all the better!

patch 1.02 will also feature a revised resurrection system, based on the level of the character. a lvl70 character (very late game!) will need 24 hours to resurrect, a lvl1 character only 20 minutes. same goes for resurrection cost (early -> cheap; later -> more expensive).
    here's the patch list for 1.0.1. 1.0.1 will hopefully make it until thursday:

- now works on iPod4 and iPad1
    - new enemy in hellcircle 3: Gluttonous Sinner
    - lots of new tutorial screens
    - first Boss fight now comes much faster
    - resurrection time lowered
    - higher drop chance for souls

as you surely know, the original italian text is rater old. there are lots of different translations out there. I used the one by HENRY WADSWORTH LONGFELLOW. it's 19th century english, so it may well be that it sounds strange to modern ears. but it's not wrong in any way.
    thanks for that! will be fixed with patch 1.0.2. [EDIT: we got it fixed; for the time being: if you want the sounds on again, enable music again and start the game anew (kill it in multitask)]

thanks for your thoughts. we will see whether this will happen or not. it's the first time we take the freemium route with a game, so our experience is limited. I for one hope, that you're not correct in your analysis. :)