Universal Hell The Dungeon Again (by Anton Skvortsov)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 19, 2014.

1. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    #61 jsrco, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    *typo can delete*

2. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I tried this game when it hit the android store. I honestly didn't like it, the controls felt really unresponsive.

I assume it's seen quite a lot of updates since initial release, so I'm definitely up to checking it out again on my IOS tablet when it's released.

3. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    It's out now :D

Even a mediocre roguelike is fine by me, not sure why but they have to try pretty hard to disappoint me!

4. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    It isn't showing up in the US app store. Maybe in a few hours?

5. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I'm the same. Any Roguelike is welcome on my device and will probably stay there indefinitely. As long as the file size isn't too big.
    This isn't yet available in N.A., when it is I'll pick it up and leave some impressions though.

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #66 undeadcow, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    Downloaded and played for a bit. HtDA is a fair roguelike with tap to move/attack mechanics and a few clever twists. Sometimes it feels like the taps don't respond as well as they should; hopefully that's just something weird with me - usually tap and move but every now and them I'll tap somewhere and nothing. Playing as the mage most of the magic seems like defensive buffs/debuffs rather than battle magic (i.e. there's not fireball spell, but you could heal or immobilize baddies) so it feels like a archer unit (wands are ranged) with weaker defenses rather than an actual magic user. There's a cool atmosphere with "fog of war" in the dungeon, and grassy areas that seem to conceal enemies. I love the dingy look of the town. Line of sight is occasionally off (for example, you can shoot through corners) buy overall "physics" seem good. Loot seems plentiful with enough inventory slots to amass goodies and return to town for wheeling/dealing. Early enemies (first three floors) are the standard rat, blob, orc variety. Dungeons often contain circular pathways but enemies mostly seem to directly gravitate towards you (AI doesn't seem to try to flank or anything but mob yet, versus say Cavern where bad guys try to circle around you). So far worth the buck - good inventory system, fun to play, sneaky dungeon environments despite mild controls quirks.

Also, permadeath is available immediate (some reviews indicated permadeath/hardcord had to be unlocked, not anymore)

7. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    So far so good, but i'm having some trouble with sometimes the tap to move doesn't work

8. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    The tap to move has some weird quirks. If you tap on shopkeepers in the town from out of range the input fails to work. This might be the case with doors as well and enemies that are out of range. During combat it seems like you have to click squares directly adjacent to your character to move.
    I'm not having any trouble after a few games.

This isn't the best Roguelike on the AppStore. I'm enjoying the change from the usual ones though. Installed size is roughly 20mb. For $1, if anyone has an interest in the genre I'd suggest this.

9. Pickman

Pickman Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    I have bought and played every roguelike in the appstore and this is definitely one if the better ones. It plays a lot like hack, slash, loot, but has a much better feeling of exploration and is more complex. First i thought that the controls were strange untill i found out, that your movement is restricted to one tile when monsters are present. So it makes sense after all.

I really like this one, gfx and music are great and it has a great deal if polish going on.

10. Endscrypt

Endscrypt Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Yeah it does look like Fargoal even down to font, but I aint complaing #

11. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Is there an option for d pad controls in the ios version?

12. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Controls don't work on iPad4. Ugly typo in the main menu. Just sloppy. Delete, shame for the money.

13. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Game Impressions

Played it for a while. It's definitely improved over what I tried on Android over a year ago.

I would prefer a DPAD but the touch controls work well enough. As someone else stated, if there's enemies nearby, you can only move one tile at a time. The graphics have a nice look to them, reminds me of legends of yore, but a but more unique / dark.

There's only 3 gear slots: weapon, armor and ring and your inventory fills up pretty quick. Plenty of stuff I find is unidentified and identify scrolls seem quite expensive.

There's a hunger system. I haven't ran out of food yet but I imagine that eventually, it will reduce HP if depleted.

There seems to be a lot of traps (fire and poison) which really hurt and I don't know of a way of detecting them. This is what is killing me on most floors, not the enemies.

There's a basic skill up system, kind of like cardinal quest, and depending on which of the 3 classes you picked (fighter, ranged, magic) they will be different. Some gear that drops can only be equipped by specific classes.

There's a town with a healer, magic and equipment vendors. Overall, it's pretty cool. I bought it for a buck to show support for these kind of games, although I'm not sure how much I'll actually play it. My rounds have all had perma-death enabled so far, don't see the point of not having it on, personally.

14. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #74 BillyOceansBlues, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    Man, this game is beautiful. Great stuff. Controls are straight-up broken, though. Needs to make up its mind about a control scheme. After playing for a bit, though, its not a dealbreaker. I would love to see a score and a list of my high scores. Otherwise theres no real way to quantify how you did! I also love the interface. Smooth, and no unnecessary obstacles built into the menus.

15. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I am having lots of fun playing this, but can't seem to play my current build
    anymore. I went to town to heal and sell items and then made my way down to
    level three. Now when I click on the level map. The screen goes dark and
    the map does not show up.

I'm hoping there is a work around to this as I do not want to start over.
    And yes, I do not have permadeath on. I'm one of the few that actually likes
    to play without it.

Thanks

16. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    It seems to lock up on me as soon as I go into the church at the very beginning. Level loads but touch stops responding. Yeah, controls suck.

17. Deixa

Deixa Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Apart from control issues as I have been reading, is this worth getting over heroes of loot?

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah. This is really a true (if simplified) rogue like, while HoL plays more like an action game. And the controls work fine is you stick to tapping around the character. On an iPhone, I would pull the view closer, to make it easier to tap correctly.

Obviously, I'm enjoying the game :).

19. FuurinRei

FuurinRei Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2014
    the controls are totally unresponsive on my iPad air. cant play it. they randomly decide to work.

20. Bowflexman

Bowflexman Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    This won't show up in the AppStore for me