Universal Hero Generations (By Heart Shaped Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Aug 18, 2016.

1. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Seems really interesting! Unfortunately I've already spent too much on apps this week, so I'll have to put this one on the watchlist for now ;)

2. Beth

Beth Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 29, 2014
    Professional do-nothing'er
    Eastern usa
    Bought!..
    This looks really good! Sooo glad I got over my fear of perma-death, some of the most rewarding and satisfying gaming experiences I've since had!
    I do think the devs would benefit from adding more screenshots to the app page/description. I glanced over it at first, stuck it in my wish list, wasn't until I watched the gameplay video that I realized this was right up my alley!
    Oh and btw....Thank you devs for the ios7 support :) ..

3. HeartShapedGames

HeartShapedGames Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Game Developer
    You're welcome. And there was a mix up when we released, and some screenshots didn't make it. We should have an update up shortly that will fix that (and add a few feature improvements).

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks dev for joining the thread.

Just curious do you have a estimation for how long a play through of the game takes before you "lose/win" the game? I'm assuming the replayability should be pretty high for a game such as this. Looks pretty in depth.

5. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Congrats to the developers and thank you for creating a premium game! Moved to number 1 or / of my growing list if games that o need to buy! Looks amazing!

6. HeartShapedGames

Apr 6, 2016
    Game Developer
    #26 HeartShapedGames, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    That's a good question - the game is really meant to be replayable like you said. The game definitely supports a more open, self-directed playstyle in the vein of Zelda or Minecraft. There are so many variations in play style, and so many possible variations in the world layout, that you should be able to play for a very long time across multiple games. But I would say if you just set out to figure out how to "Save the World" from the impending doom that gets introduced in Generation 2, then my guess is that might be a 6-8+ hour experience by itself?

The nice thing about Hero Generations is that it is built to be played in bite-sized play sessions. You can play 1 Generation, save your game, and then come back. So while that experience might take 6-8 hours in total, it will probably play itself in a collection of shorter sessions as you have time. One of the design goals of the game was to "fit into player's lives", meaning you can pick it up and play it on your time, instead of having to be locked into a marathon session (though you can certainly do that to!).

But also, a game can be over very quick - if you make the wrong move you won't be able to find a mate and your game is over.

I hope that helps answer your question.

7. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Lovely game - but I can't seem to figure out what the things are I can build around a town? There's a field (but what does it do) and then a load of others that I can't really make out. What are they? Is there any way to view what they are and what they do before I select them? Or any way to do this after I've placed them even?

Jamie

8. RichT

RichT Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Started playing this morning in the commute and had a great time. Tried to load up generation 11 just now and getting a blank white screen. Playing on an iPhone6

9. HeartShapedGames

Apr 6, 2016
    Game Developer
    Jamie - You can build up your towns by creating different buildings around them. At the bottom of your screen you should see the build options bar (like in the screenshot below). You can also click on the info button on that bar to view the building and town blueprints. Let me know if you have any questions!

[​IMG]

10. HeartShapedGames

Apr 6, 2016
    Game Developer
    Hey RichT - If you can, take a screenshot of the issue on your phone and email it to us at [email protected]. Any other information you can provide about where you were at in the game would be helpful! Try to start a game in a new slot and let us know if the issues persist and we'll work on getting a fix for this one.

-HSG

11. RichT

RichT Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Thanks for getting back to me. I'm still in the forest area. When i choose to load my game it goes to the generating world screen, then the screen turns white and it hangs. I've started a new game which is currently on generation two and running ok. Info have some photos but having issues uploading them at the moment.

Will email them over now.

12. HeartShapedGames

Apr 6, 2016
    Game Developer
    Thanks! Got your email. Appreciate all the info.

13. mache

mache Active Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Very nice game!
    Only 1 problem: is impossible for me zoom in and out, im on iPhone 6 iOS 9

14. HeartShapedGames

Apr 6, 2016
    Game Developer
    Thanks! Glad you like it. :)

If you can email us at [email protected] with more info that would be great!

15. aeschylus72

aeschylus72 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2012
    #35 aeschylus72, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Hi Guys

I need help, I really dont understand what I am meant to be doing, I am on generation 25 but my character always starts too weak and by the time he is strong enough to fight, it is time to 'mate'

I do all the quests but when I mate they all reset? I guess I am meant to change areas, which I tried but the villages are always level 1, so I never get stonger (if that makes sense)

I am sure it is me, but how do I get better as I thought each time I 'mated' I would get stonger and stronger rather then going back to being weak 'albeit with what I am carrying

16. L0ck

L0ck Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    I assume this'll be the same as the ReGen version releasing tomorrow on Steam?

17. HeartShapedGames

Apr 6, 2016
    Game Developer
    Yes, the games are very similar, with the exception of a few UI and control differences. It has all the updates, new content, etc of ReGen.

18. RichT

RichT Member

Dec 13, 2013
    You need to build up the towns so that you can mate and produce an heir with better traits. Creating a fort is a good one if you want to fight things and if you put a blacksmith on it, the buildings won't decay. Depends on what you want to do really. You could avoid fights and get gold instead to work on other towns. Have a look at the town blueprints and see what suits you.

19. HeartShapedGames

Apr 6, 2016
    Game Developer
    Update just went out that includes:

-Menu for dealing with full trait slots when acquiring a new trait.
    -smarter world generation. Avoids blocking border paths with water/rocks.
    -Game balance tweaks
    -Special Event and World Quest information properly saves.
    -Fix for missing App Store screenshots

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hero-generations/id1072881532?ls=1&mt=8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    I played also for several hours without understanding how to become stronger in this game. I know it is sandbox, but it's a shame that you have to read walkthroughs or watch youtube-videos just to understand what you need to do in a game or how to play it properly.
    This game has a great formula but destroys it all with its sandbox-style. Most players who just want to give this game a try will stop playing after short - cause you get no directions and not enough is explained to play it good. Really sad story to this game.