Universal Hero Generations (By Heart Shaped Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Aug 18, 2016.

1. RichT

RichT Member

Dec 13, 2013
    I'm not seeing anything in this game that can't be worked out by exploration and experimentation.

2. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    I'm the second one mentioning that it's hard to understand what to do in this game or how to become stronger. So yeah,... I guess you are right...
    Most gamers on ios don't have the time to explore a game for hours just to find out how to play it.
    This could all be solved with a greater tutorial, where i see what i have to do to get better mates.

3. RichT

RichT Member

Dec 13, 2013
    My personal opinion, but playing around with buildings made me realise they had a lifespan. Looking at buildings let me know what they could do. Looking at building blueprints let me know what types of town I could create and what traits would become available. 30-40 minutes of playing around left me in a position to kill the first boss. I don't think it's that difficult.

4. HeartShapedGames

HeartShapedGames Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Game Developer
    Our design philosophy was to be a little more open to encourage exploration, but it's good feedback that giving more information and tips would be helpful. Especially as it applies to acquiring resources. We've found that some people enjoy that open feel and others don't so it's been a hard balance to strike.

Keep the feedback coming! We really appreciate it.

-HSG Team

5. Witlogic

Witlogic Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Frustrating

I really wanted to like this game, but like the previous posters but after an hour of fiddling around I have no idea whats going on. If I had bought it on Steam, I'd refund it.

6. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I don't care if I have to take time to learn what to do, can someone just tell me, does this game have some nice difficulty ? I like my games though, also replay ability wise, different builds I can go and what not ? Someone let me know some input please =]

7. HeartShapedGames

HeartShapedGames Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Game Developer
    The general concept of how to make progress in the game is about thinking long term about your future kids. So you have to make strategic investments in building up your worlds with resources so that your Kids can more quickly grow and be capable of completing the later quests. So try to look at the Tech Tree and Town Blueprint menus a bit and see what you could build that might help your future heroes advance quicker.

The other thing is about building things that help you save years. For example, you can build station routes that let you warp across spaces quickly. A big key to the game is establishing these roads that make traversing the world very cheap. And of course there are other more direct strategies like trying to build Temples that give you more lifespan, and thus more turns to grow.

The game could hold your hand a bit more, but our previous iteration did that too much, and it made the game tedious. We may have overcompensated this time around, but there are definitely strategies to progress if you stop and try to plan ahead!

8. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but from what I noticed in the tutorial you become stronger by having children, the first one you have is stronger than the initial character.

9. teknalb

teknalb Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Can someone tell me how to build a blueprint building?

10. gust0208

gust0208 Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Man, I am with a few of the previous posters where after an hour, I just can't get into this one. I agree that a bit more explanation on the cards / traits would go a long way or some way of seeing the benefits of one mate over another. I think it would also help if buildings didn't have a life span. I gambled this week on my premium game and didn't pan out.

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #51 syntheticvoid, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    I am loving this...

Going into it, as it's advertised as a strategy/4X/Roguelike... I was hoping there would be a whole mechanics system is have to figure out on my own. The openness in direction is what I bought the game for.

Anyway, after the initial difficulty push in the beginning, I'm totally diving into this and just loving it. Building and finding a mate and raising fame and eventually upgrading buildings in later generations... It all comes together to offer up something really special. The RNG/attacking enemies system and upgrades are done perfectly....

I gotta stop or I'm just gonna keep gushing.

Point is, about an hour in and I'm looking at my Top 10 GOTY list and wondering what game this can replace.
    Personally, I love it. It is exactly what I was hoping it would be. Thank you for bringing it to the AppStore alongside PC! =oD

**edit**

crap, I forgot to say THANK YOU for making this iOS 7 compatible!!! I know it's an ancient OS and you really have no reason to support it - so it's always nice when a developer includes compatibility. It's another reason I wound up buying the game (so I can play it on my older device as well as my phone...)

12. charlesatan

charlesatan Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2013
    In practice, not quite.

Children could get stronger depending on the traits they inherit from their parents, but buildings also affect their strength (there's a building for example that lets you flip more cards when you generate a new character).

In general, the way to get stronger is thru a combination (take your pick) of buildings (there's a building that adds to your Strength and/or damage), parents (traits they inherit), and items you pick up.

13. charlesatan

Jun 5, 2013
    You'll be going through a lot of characters (like Rogue Legacy if you've played the game) but there are various ways to extend a character's lifespan.

14. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Updated and my game is broken. Loads to a white screen. Bull****

15. L0ck

L0ck Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Awesome, thanks!

16. charlesatan

Jun 5, 2013
    The update broke existing saved games, but works fine with new ones. (Probably due to the world generation change.)

17. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Anyone having trouble with the pinch zoom??

Awesome game by the way!

18. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Ok AFTER learning how to play (seems to be people are saying there is a high learning curve) how is this game replay ability and difficulty wise ? Fun and difficult ?

19. charlesatan

Jun 5, 2013
    Just follow the instructions.

The left-most blueprints are easy (e.g. any three buildings), while the right-most can be difficult (indicates specific buildings that needs to be built around the town).

20. charlesatan

Jun 5, 2013
    My town spontaneously combusted (destroying all the buildings around it). (I have a blacksmith so this was not because the buildings wore down.)

Is there an explanation in-game that best explains what caused this?

Thanks.