Hero of Sparta II (Gameloft) $4.99 -> FREE

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by salty, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    #21 Madman100, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
    So, u guys all had this game installed on ur device waiting to go back and replay it? Or, did u go back and redownload it to hate on Gameloft making an old game free for everyone?

Someone oughtta slap some sense into u people. I'm sure there are of course people with genuine concerns regarding this but u guys sound like ur obviously looking for something to complain about.

Within weeks there will be so many new people playing this game who have not had the pleasure. This is a great thing. If u beat the game, I doubt u care to keep it on ur device for that little red number to stick around.

/out

2. Uh, how about never finished it, but planned to go back to it? I was like 2/3 through.

They could have pleased everyone by making the old lite version a full game with ads and left the paid one alone. They still can do that, so maybe if we speak up they'll listen. We did spend money on the game, so I think we have a right to complain.

3. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    Yes. U may be right in that regard. How about before screaming (for lack of a better term) at Gameloft, just take an hour or so spread between the next few days to complete it, then go back and email them ur concerns as well as leaving the horrible rating if ur still angry about it.

4. If I have the time I may do that. But I shouldn't be forced to finish a game when it's inconvenient for me at the time.

Btw, even people who hadn't paid for it are leaving reviews that the ads make it suck for those who paid. Again, they could have easily pleased everyone since they already had a free version out. I doubt anyone would complain about a separate free version with ads. Other companies have done that with success.

5. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    #25 Madman100, Dec 20, 2011
    People want to complain. Case in point, I see most people saying 'greedy money hungry Devils just looking to cash in twice!' This is in fact complete bullshit. The ads are advertising Gameloft games so unless they're paying themselves this is completely senseless. I imagine the Lite version will be pulled very soon so unless you want ur version pulled, I'd say it's safe to say its better this way.

Most of these complaints are shameful.

Haters gonna hate.

6. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Being a hater has nothing to do with it. I own 82 Gameloft titles (including a bunch that I got both iPhone and iPad versions) and I paid for all but 2 of them (one being a free giveaway and the other being Six Guns). About half of them, I paid full price for. I've been a supporter of Gameloft for the early days of the app store, back when I got Block Breaker Deluxe 2. It doesn't matter if the ads are for Gameloft games (and if they aren't hoping making money from them, why are they there?), I'm a paying customer and I have a right to complain when they ruin something I paid for. There is nothing shameful about that. What is shameful is being silent when you are being taken advantage of. It's shameful to criticize people who have a right to be mad.

If people don't complain about this now, this trend is only going to get worse.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Great post. I can identify exactly with you. My iPod + HD versions of Gameloft games add up to around 75. Always been a day one buyer too.

The thing is though, this trend is what the common AppStore customer wants. People love that they're getting a free entry cost to the game, so Gameloft reaches many times more customers. If customers like the game, they'll buy consumable iAPs. They want freemium titles like Six-Guns. Not everyone is completely antagonistic to consumable iAPs like the majority of TA. We're an extremely small minority here. They're making more freemium games because it's working out for them.

8. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    And aren't the ads in loading screens and menus? How does that even get in the way of the gameplay? The complaining is silly as per me too. The whole, I-paid-so-no-ads stand just doesn't happen in today's world. I paid for cable television, so I don't want ads on TV. I paid for a book, so I don't want the "list of other books by the publisher" on the last page.... World doesn't work that way. Come on, seriously, a year and a half old game thrown free with ads only in loading screens. Most of my super old games are out of my library (either finished, or unfinished because I got bored of them) so I don't even have to update them. It's not like Hero of Sparta is some epic videogame that you will keep forever just in case you might play it again.

But hey, it's a democratic world (most of it anyways) and everyone's got a right to their complains.

9. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    So u have no problem paying for 82 of their games but u flip out when they put a number above ur AppStore icon? One that u can easily remove by backing up the game and deleting it..

Quite honestly I don't see the sense in that.

10. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    #30 jeffyg3, Dec 20, 2011
    Yeah agreed. This is pretty idiotic what Gameloft did. Why not have a seperate free version of the game with ads. I paid full price for this game, and I have hundreds and hundreds of apps. Pushing that update all button has become the easy way to update things for me. Updated everything, emptied the trash securely on the Mac so no way to get the old version back, and then find out through these forums that the game I paid full price for has been updated with ads everywhere is really disgusting. It's a slap in the face for fans of the game, especially people who paid full price, and Gameloft should be ashamed of themselves. Plus it's annoying to have that notification icon on the AppStore icon on my iPhone that something needs to be updated, and to have that linger on there forever just to not update a fully paid app due to ads...it's horrid. Deleted the app off the iPhone and iTunes.

Last time I ever buy a Gameloft game at full price...if they continue this route to update their games later with ads, then I'll never buy a Gameloft game again

**** you Gameloft :mad:

11. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    So who is actually happy about this - a half decent only a year old gamer rather than tennis 09 which is the first one they added ads to. I played the first but never got the sequel and I'm quite glad to get it now.

To those that bought the game originally when it first came out...havnt you had a year to play and complete it and are probably not going to play it again (it didnt review good enough for multiple play throughs) so why is this such a problem. You had probably deleted and forgotten about the game until someone said "OMG it has ads - The game is ruined!!! and then noticed this yourself on a game just because you redownloaded it.

If they made sacred odyssey free with ads I wouldnt be upset as I have completed that thing twice since it came out, same with DH2, they are just updating old game that no1 still plays, so either there are a lot of you who still play 1-2 year old games or just everyone wants to find a reason to hate gameloft

12. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    #32 jeffyg3, Dec 20, 2011
    Well not everyone has completed the same games as you have. If they made Sacred Odyssey free with horrible ad placements everywhere I would have been pissed off too. Like many here I have a nice sized back log of games I paid for to play on the iPad or iPhone. For example, about a month ago I finally went back to Grokion, a game I paid full price for well over a year ago which I never finished, and now I'm pretty well into the game and hoping to finish it soon. Now if that app got plastered by ads I would have been really pissed off as it was a good game I wanted to go back to eventually and I ended up doing so and I paid full price for. I would have felt the same way about Sacred Odyssey (not sure if it's a good game though) and I haven't finished Hero of Sparta II either and yes it is...err, was...one of those games I wanted to go back to, but now that it's horribly scattered full of ads, the game I paid full price for is ruined.

If we pay full price for a game, we should be able to play them as what we got it for...a fully paid app. Just cause it's an old game doesn't mean it's not worth playing. There's no need to justify the moronic actions of Gameloft...they deserve bashing for this idiotic move. I definitely lost a lot of respect for Gameloft for this. Again the better move would have been to make a seperate free version with ads...there are other games that do this on the AppStore, so Gameloft should know better.

13. I didn't buy mine a year ago. And I discovered the update notes because it is one of a few unfinished Gameloft games I have on my phone that haven't deleted (even though I'm always running out of space) because I have/had every intention of finishing it. Believe it or not, some of us actually liked the game.

Sacred Odyssey was my favorite GL game, and I haven't deleted it even though I completed it shortly after it came out. That's my decision, and I shouldn't have to be forced to delete the game or see an update available for eternity.

There were a couple of other GL games I deleted for space before I got to play them much. With this pattern, I'll likely get stuck with an ads version next time I download them.

You're so eager to back up Gameloft's decision, but no one has responded to the idea that they had a free version already that they could have done this to and made everyone happy.

14. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Totally agree with you I'd never played it right the way through either but it was still on my device waiting. I've also seen another app that went down in price that was still able to recognise the people who bought it at the higher price and unlocked some extra features so there really is no reason Gameloft couldn't have kept it ad free for people who bought it.

They have really turned into quite a shady company but at least the reviews on the app store show they have probably damaged themselves more than anything.

15. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I got this awhile ago and played for a bit liked it and was planing to go back to it. When I pay for something I think I have the right to play it when I want. To assume people buy a game and play it through all the way is wrong. I have a huge backlog of games and I like to go back to them when I'm in the mood for that game. Not everyone does the same thing so please don't assume they do.

16. nrfuller

nrfuller Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Office Manager
    Wilmington, DE
    Gameloft can do what they want, but what I dislike is the fact that that app update notice is gonna be sitting there forever on my phone. I'm determined not to update because I hate those ads, but I also hate that constant update reminder that I can't get rid of.

17. ipodjunkie

ipodjunkie Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    i start iphone gaming in 2009 so i bought a lot gameloft games at full price, before they started with the crasy pricedrops recently. anyway, they ruined sume of my favs like brothers in arms 2 and gt racing motor academy, and now they deside to do this with hero of sparta 2... im really pissed of and will never pay more then 99c for a gameloft game. Dont think they have any problem with that:)

18. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    #38 Madman100, Dec 20, 2011
    "they ruined my game." .... No they didn't. You don't have to update it. If u want to keep your half yr old progress, it would take less time to find out how to back it up as well as the version ur on than the time it takes to constantly complain about it. Just saying.

I'm sure they are sorry for the inconvenience but they are giving a game that's hardly played anymore away for free to everyone, more of a good gesture than a scam.

I welcome someone to talk cold sense into me, because all I can see is a bunch of people looking for something to complain about.

EDIT: just read one of the reviews. He mentioned if the ads are bugging u to just disable wifi so I took his advice. I pulled down my notification tab (with sbsettings installed), clicked airplane mode, fired up HoS II, and whatayaknow, no ads. :eek: I have an ad-free version for free. This is the upside to a bit of common sense. No more reason to rage but of course, the raging will likely continue.

19. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    Ima keep it real, u guys are full of crap. I'm sure there are people who paid for this 3 days ago who were legitimately disappointed but they are not online raging about it, they're moving on with their lives.

In my last post I disproved any and all allegations that Gameloft is scamming, conniving, greedy, money hungry bastards. (at least in this case ;)) And instead proved that these complaints are from whining, irrational, no sense of common logic, unpleasable idiots.

I apologize for coming off so brash but this is in fact the case I'm seeing.

20. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    I agree to a POINT. This argument here in this thread that 'gameloft ruined this game' is a little whiny. I do admit that I wish there were a 'hide update' button, but....this was an old game, and it didn't do well at all. So gameloft decided to make it so more people would actually play it, but added ads (not in gameplay as far as i know, otherwise I'd be with you guys somewhat). I honestly am fine with this, though I wish they had a way you didn't have to see the update. And the one adjective up in the quoted post that gameloft IS is money-hungry, as you can see from their freemium crap.
    And to go on-topic---will probably download the game to my cpu, but may not install from the large size. Also: the fourth game Gameloft put free is PocketChef...