Hero of Sparta: Price Drop ($0.99)!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by yourofl10, Jan 14, 2009.

1. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #101 salsamd, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009

You, and likely many millions of others since dropping the price of their games last week. Even Asphalt4 has risen from the dead to rank # 11 now.

2. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Isn't this game too short? It only has like 8 levels right?

3. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    This makes me soooooooo mad :mad::mad::mad:....It was worth the $5.99 i guess...

4. iD[Alan]

iD[Alan] Member

May 20, 2009
    Student
    Califorina
    Bought the game, now waiting on Assassin Creed to be 0.99

5. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    the last 2~3 chapters are super long... if you buy game depend on number of chapters, the game can be easily chop in 16 or 32 chapters... will that make you happier... the main point is quality and gameplay... I'm give it 5 out of 5...

Well, now you can save your 99 cents, but it doesn't even can pay for a cup of coffee

6. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    Worth every penny. Woow..

7. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    it won't in a while. just finished Assassin Creed yesterday, loving it.

13 chapters with average 3 sub-sessions per chapter

8. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    We can guess as such:

~500,000 "copies" of Super Monkey Ball sold at the original price of $9.99. That's $4,995,000. After Apple's 30% cut, that comes to about $3,496,500. That's just for Super Monkey Ball.

I don't know exactly how much that game costs to make...but let's just say $1 million for the sake of argument (and that would be, btw, on the high end of dev costs for the mobile game sector). That would still leave Sega with about $2.5 million. And, mind you, that's after the game had only been on market for a little more than a couple of months. Not to shabby for one game.

Again, they hit 1/2 million sold for Monkey Ball quite a long time ago in terms of the App Store. Since then they've periodically dropped price up to the current $5.99, but are still maintaining a very strong position with that game, it having never dropped out of the top 100 paid games chart. Ever.

And let's not even think about the money they're making off of Sonic, which, let's remember, is a ROM operating on a Genesis emulator. So that's negligible development costs for them on that game. And it hasn't dropped out of the top 25 priced at $5.99.

Not really. EA periodically drops prices, but they've never, to my knowledge, gone below $2.99 on any of their games.

But the problem with that is that doing such a thing lowers the price below that which others may have been willing to pay. Again, among those currently buying at a buck there may have been a sizable contingent willing to pay 2 or even 3 bucks.

Haven't been in high school or college in a while.

And I've done work in marketing. Not an expert, by any means, but that said, I can voice my opinion on the matter as is fully my right, and there are, in fact, others who have actual hands on experience in the App Store market as sellers themselves who have been positing similar ideas as I have in this topic.

9. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    I'm not stating that they have no idea what they are doing, Hodapp. Merely stating that I found it odd and don't agree with it.

But, of course, to understand that you'd actually have to read what I wrote without any sort of bias. I am sure you, as part of the inner circle of this site, are fully capable of such a feat, no? ;)

Besides which, your "point" doesn't hold water when there are other more successful companies that Gameloft that use the exact strategy to which I alluded. Now, even if you disagree with ol' spiffy and would rather go with the notion that companies know what they are doing at all time and always make sound judgments, then wouldn't it make more sense to err on the side of those who have made the more sound judgments than others? I would think so.

10. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Anyway...no one has answered my question on the game itself:

To those of you who have 3Gs (yes, I am jealous :p):

How does the game run?

Can you post vids?

11. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    American idol is 99 cents now and star trek is 1.99

12. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Here's another buyer at 99 cents that would never have gotten this game. It reminds me of the days of bargain bin hunting at BB/CC/TRU for video games. I would wait 1-2 years to troll the bins waiting to get a bargain on a game. With the app store, it seems that the bargains bins happen in months instead of years, and the bargains are 99 cents instead of $9.99 or $19.99. What hath Apple wrought?

13. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I got this game last year for $10, you would be a fool not to pick it up for only $1.

14. Sev

Sev Active Member

Jun 11, 2009
    just bought !

merci gameloft :D

15. gunslinger

gunslinger Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    For a buck its a steal! Its worth much more.

16. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Just played through the first couple checkpoints of the first level and it runs pretty smooth, but not buttery smooth. There's no lag, but the frame rate could definitely be higher. I'm not sure how it ran on the older devices, so it's hard to compare. If I get a chance I'll load it onto my first gen and see how they compare to each other.

17. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    +1
    This is an awesome game

18. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Yes, I am really enjoying it. Even with the Lite I wasn't sure that I would, but I really do. Truly a great bargain. Maybe I'll buy AC once I am finished with it because I now see that I love this kind of game. Unless the later levels prove too diffcult for my poor reflexes, that is.

19. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    "WE ARE SPARTA!!!!!!" *Kicks Sally's Spa Down* "WE ARE #1!!!!!"

20. gugmi01

gugmi01 Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    alright you guys have me bought, i wasnt sure if i should buy it or not even after i played the lite version but after reading all of this positive responses and reviews im buying it. thanks:)