Universal Heroes Call (by Defiant Development) [Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by klicktock, May 30, 2012.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I think the issue is choice. It's one thing to make the choice to play a game in short bursts, and a very different thing to have a game dictate that choice for you. The developers know you'll want to play. The developers are more or less literally holding your time for ransom. I'm still amazed anyone can be "ok" with that. How many things are more precious than your time?

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    This game was so promising. Was really looking forward o a Diablo style game. Now just de-installed a few hours ago. I'm not a fan of freemium but can handle 'some' when done right eg Bullet Time

But the quest times and waiting is utterly ridiculous. Like others I might buy some IAPs as a way of saying thanks to the dev for their game. But having to wait for other quests? Just stupid. That's the main reason I've de-installed. Big shame

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If the devs can only read the thread. Basically, what we're saying is...

"Get rid of the Wait Times in between quests, and you have a great game"

I was thinking even if they put in an IAP for wait time removal, even up to $5, i'd buy it.

4. mjgarwood

mjgarwood New Member

May 9, 2012
    Sooooo anybody use the Facebook thing?

1) do they post obnoxiously?

2) would this allow me to continue my progress from my iPad game on my phone?

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #185 awp69, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    I understand what you're saying and I'm not saying what the devs are doing is right. But since I do play in small bursts, the devs are the ones losing out on customers like me.

But, yeah, I'd still pay $4-5 to get rid of the wait times. As you've said before, however, we aren't the customers they're after. They're after the ones that happily go on their marry way buying IAP after IAP.

Sad, but true, unfortunately. I'll play the game. They just won't get my financial support using these tactics though.

6. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    Actually in my case the game crashes in a 4s so i think is not only on the 3gs.

Some quick fixes that should come with the update is to make at least the map a little more visible because some time the only way to see it is with the black backgrounds of the dungeon and some other error with the portraids in this text following logic in the end dialogue should be erond's portraid no the minister

[​IMG]

7. frisbee10461

frisbee10461 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Quest Count

Hello all!

Out of curiosity, how many quests have you completed so far?

Presently, I have 22 quests completed. There are seven areas (6 areas of 4 quests each and 1 area of 2 quests). Four quests are still locked.

What about you?

Frisbee10461

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    With little time to play, I've only got 13 quests completed. Guess that's why I haven't minded the wait times as much. ;)

So I guess there's 26 total quests....about halfway through.

9. jcifrit

jcifrit Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2011
    graduate student/researcher
    Ontario, Canada
    Game regularly crashes in combat on iPod touch 4

10. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    "With little time to play, I've only got 13 quests completed. Guess that's why I haven't minded the wait times as much."

I agree with you 100%. As a tutor, right now, this is my busy time of the year, as my clients are up against Regents exams. So, like you, I have little free time lately.

What I do is before I go to work, I play one quest, and when I come home, I play one quest. With the severe wait times between quests (for me, I have to wait eight hours to play the next quest), I am progressing slowly but steadily. So, my total time playing per day is a little over an hour. Of course, every 2-3 days, I get 5 gems, so i can play an extra quest.

"So I guess there's 26 total quests....about halfway through."

Actually, I'm not sure of the exact amount. The developers state that there are over 40 quests. As there seem to be only 20 levels, my guess is that your maximum level to reach is 20. As you may have already seen, the higher up you go, the more quests you have to complete to ascend to the next level. At the beginning, there is a 1-1 ratio, but now, I have to complete four quests to get to level 15.

11. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    Anyone have any idea what does the vengeanze atribute do? Also is the fastesd weapon have a higher number? I have a 1 speed sword and purchased a 0.70 and it was much slower that the 1 speed should't be the other way around?

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Urggh...it's not the wait times that are bothering me, it's the damn crashes.

Last night played what seemed like the longest quest yet. About 20-25 minutes into it (assuming near the end), it crashed.

Hope they fix this soon. And also hope they don't do any more tweaking (in a bad way) of the IAPs and difficulty. There were those that said the game was too easy. It's definately not easy once you get further into the game and there's a ton of enemies swarming you at once.

Anyway, if it weren't for the crashes, I'd be happy...even without a wait-time unlock IAP.

13. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    #193 frisbee10461, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
    Comments and Tips

Hello all!

The more I play this game, the more I like it. What is cool is that with the more advanced levels, the background music changes. So, each dungeon seems to have a different themed music. Also, after playing for a while, the four combos come second nature to me.

Tip: You can actually do a "combo-combo." So, let's say you want to do the Rage - Whirlwind - Shield Bash move. You can accomplish this for a mega strike.

Presently, I have completed 24 quests. A new dungeon opened up for me, so presently, there are now 6 remaining quests to complete (24/30 completed). However, I know there are going to be more quests as there are over 40 quests in the game.

Also, I love the idea of playing a game for a little while and then going on and doing something else. It definitely transforms the way freemium games are played. I hope this is done more for future games. I know I will get bashed for this, but I don't care. I really do like this game.

One thing I am going to do this weekend is buy gems. I'm not doing it to play more quests quickly, as I like the idea of pacing myself. However, this is a sign to the devs as to how great this game is. You can get 50 gems (I think) for $2.99. Pretty good deal.

14. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    Questions for Developers

1. Exactly how many quests are there in the game?
    2. What is the maximum level? Is it 20? I ask this because in terms of your skills, they max out at 20.
    3. Is there new content being generated continually? That is, is the present version I have on my iPad the final version in terms of content, or will there be upgrades to include additional dungeons and quests (like in 100 floors)?
    4. Are there plans for Heroes Call 2?
    5. If so, do you have need for Beta testers? If so, let us know. I am currently testing Frisbee Forever 2, and I think it is a win-win situation.

Thanks again for a terrific game,
    Frisbee10461

15. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #195 Bytebrain, Jun 6, 2012
    I'm not gonna bash you for having an opinion. I am, however, in complete opposition to that idea.

If all games were like that, we would not be able to immerse ourselves in a single title.

I like the premise of this game (flawed as it certainly is), but I don't play a game for five minutes or any other set amount of time.

I like to immerse myself in a game, I absolutely hate the idea that a Developer should dictate when, or how long I should be able to play a game!
    It's the absolute worst kind of iAp in existence. Especially since the iap's are consumable, so I can't even just pay to get rid of wait times forever, I have to pay multiple times.

INSANITY!

I actually hope, (sorry Dev), that the sales fails, so we can get rid of that kind of blatant ripoff of gamers.

16. Djay187

Djay187 Active Member

Jan 29, 2012
    +1 to that Bytebrain, couldn't agree with you more.

17. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Active Member

Jun 6, 2012
    New poster..... couple of things (sorry if I'm recycling old ideas)

1. I like having the wait... granted an hour is too much, but if the game just let me gun through it, I probably would beat it too quickly and lose interest
    2. Gold is easy to get and the levels do offer a chalenge, even if I'm farming for gold or gems
    3. I haven't been able to use a potion yet... am I doing it wrong (I just click on it) but it never works... is it a double click, or a drag or what? Nevertheless, it is quite annoying... is it a bug?
    4. The dungeons seem a bit too similar, it would be nice, even if it was a colour pallette swap
    5. the Blacksmith and equipping is annoying... I had having to flip back and forth trying to figure out what is better than what
    6. A glosary of terms and their effects would be nice.
    7. Do things stack) So if I have a health orb bonus of 10, 10, 10, and 10... does that make it 40 or just 10?

Nevertheless, I can understand that the wait might be too much to bear for some... since you can pay gems to resurrect yourself mid quest, how about spending 5-10 gems to speed up the clock? Might be a good compromise between the two sides

18. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    "I haven't been able to use a potion yet... am I doing it wrong (I just click on it) but it never works... is it a double click, or a drag or what? Nevertheless, it is quite annoying... is it a bug?"

It's not a bug. This means you are doing well. The way the game works is that if your health is 3/4 or greater, you cannot access your potions. However, after your health is less than 75%, you can.

"The Blacksmith and equipping is annoying... I had having to flip back and forth trying to figure out what is better than what."

I agree with this 100% and also suggested having a comparison window with a green upward arrow indicating the piece of equipment is better, and a red arrow, signifying it is worse. As a rule of thumb, here is what I recommend:

* Sword: Get a sword with a higher attack rate and some type of knockback or stun capability.
    *All other equipment: Get pieces that increase your chances of receiving a health orb. My shield, helmet, armor, and leggings EACH increase my odds of getting a health orb by 16% (or a total of 16 * 4 = 64%). As a result, for every three enemies, barrels, wheelbarrows, and so on I strike, I get TWO health orbs. This ensures successful quests.

"Do things stack) So if I have a health orb bonus of 10, 10, 10, and 10... does that make it 40 or just 10?"

See above.

"Nevertheless, I can understand that the wait might be too much to bear for some... since you can pay gems to resurrect yourself mid quest, how about spending 5-10 gems to speed up the clock?"

If you spend five gems, the clock goes away. For me, my wait time between quests is now eight hours.

19. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Active Member

Jun 6, 2012
    #199 MarkoPolo, Jun 6, 2012
    Is that just for health potions or potions of power too? And generally, I only use the potions when I am about to die.... but even then, they don't work and I either run like heck to get away or die.

Good, I'm doing that. I also try to equip eq that knocks the enemy back when they hit me, so even those damned archers don't just sit there and pick me off, as they get knocked back and it slows them down.

Really? That a hell of a long time... mine is at a hour (guess you're more advanced than I am) but are you saying that there already exists a mechanism to speed up the wait times between quests?

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yes, think what he's saying is that you can pay gems (I guess 5? Never tried it) to eliminate the wait.

Most of us wish there was just a one time unlock IAP to get rid of them, but doubt that will happen.