Universal Heroes Call (by Defiant Development) [Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by klicktock, May 30, 2012.

1. frisbee10461

frisbee10461 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I found that I could not see the 4 new quests, as well. Both my wizard and warrior completed all 30 quests, and are now heroes.

Can anyone who has not completed the game yet but it close to doing so see if there are 34 quests (or more than 30)? I think the quest number may be the same, but you now have more quest possibilities to answer your call.

Frisbee10461

2. morganj

morganj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Just a quick reply, as we're still in the midst of things at the moment. The current update was purely stability/bugfix. We're working on the content update at the moment, hopefully should be through soon.

On the 4 new quests - they basically go into the random mix, so if you've completed the game you'll have to restart a character for them to come up. We're looking at better ways of giving people access to content like this (new quests) at the moment - got a few thoughts, but apologies for the hassle on getting into these ones.

In terms of fixes, the game should be much more stable, especially on iPad1 and iPod Touch 4GS, which were the worst affected in our initial release. That doesn't mean people with other devices should worry - we've made the game much more stable overall.

We've also plugged a bunch of bugs which could cause loss of progress, and generally cleaned up a handful of smaller issues.

For the person asking how to sync characters - if you link to Facebook you'll be able to use your online profile to do that. I'm not sure where we are on iCloud, but we'll drill into that.

It's by design that your gold and items are accessible from all your characters, but we definitely understand what people are saying in terms of it making your second playthough easier. We decided it would be much less frustrating that way, than not having access to cool gear you wanted to share.

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Played just one quest since the update as my level 11 (now level 12) Warrior. Happy to report ...no crashes on my 3GS. Did notice a bit of slowdown that didn't seem to be there before, almost like it may have crashed at that point before and now does something to prevent the crash. Not a big deal as I'd rather have a bit of slowdown than a crash.

As for the rest, I can definately tell that the difficulty has been ramped up a bit. Goblins are a bit tougher. And Ogres are much tougher. I ran into a Heavy Ogre that killed me in one attack. Strangely, Orcs still seemed underpowered (Goblins take more attacks to kill than an Orc?!?).

Of course, that difficutly comes with a price, run into a Heavy Ogre and if you're not careful, you'll die and have to either fork out gems or play through the quest again.

I like it more challenging, however. Just will change some of my strategies a bit.

Items in the store seem to have gone up in price as well. After completing that quest, I didn't have enough gold (or items to sell) to purchase anything to upgrade from level 11 to level 12 weapons/armour so it may take more grinding to get better equipment.

Right now I'm just happy that there hasn't been any crashes (yet) with the new update. It's more frustrating to crash far into a level than it is to die.

4. morganj

Aug 31, 2009
    For the record, item costs haven't gone up, although some new gear has gone into the mix. Difficulty shouldn't be dramatically changed, although it is higher on later levels.

You definitely have to dodge those Heavy Ogre big attacks, though!

The toughest goblins (Mountain Goblins) are tougher than the weakest Orcs, it's true - but on average an Orc is tougher than a Goblin.

5. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Active Member

Jun 6, 2012
    If you're amping enemy damage, why are liches still so wussy?

May I suggest that an undead wizard should knock you on your butt harder than a red skeleton?

6. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    Yesterday, I picked up the iPad 3. So, it looks like I will have to complete the quests again on the new iPad (not into the jailbreaking thing). I'll let you know if the quests are more difficult.

7. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Active Member

Jun 6, 2012
    #267 MarkoPolo, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
    The quests aren't that much more difficult. It's a nice addition, but nothing too earth shattering.

One thing I noticed with my wizard were the weapons flags changed. In the past, I could get lifestealing/leaching or knockback on a weapon, but never ever both. I got them both on a pair of those gauntlets and wow.... I rarely ever get hit anymore, much less die. I dunno if it's a bug or not, but this is a bit overpowered. I am at level 13 with my wizard, and these gauntlets are level 10, and unless another combo comes along, I doubt I'll ever buy another pair of gauntlets. All I do is just sit at the top of the stairs and knock them down... skelies and goblins, which are faster, are somewhat chalenging to do, but zombies and those giant ogres... it's almost boring and sometimes, I run at them to purposely get hit for fun. This weapon flag combo is a bit overpowered, imho.

Overall, a great game.... especially if the crashes have been fixed. Good work Defiant... now just give us the new classes!!!

8. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    Hey, I played the game last night on the iPad 3, and yes, the enemies are definitely a bit tougher. Also, there was a greater rate in terms of the gem drop.

HOWEVER...

My wizard character is not ported over to the new game. So, if I want to unlock this character, I have to pony up 65 gems OR spend $2.99. This does not seem right to me, seeing as I already purchased this character on the old iPad.

To the developers, is there something you can do about this?

Thanks,
    Frisbee10461

9. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Hmmm. Very disappointed the fix for iTouch 4G apparently involved turning all the details off. I can understand why - while I wasn't blown away by the art design I'm sure it must have been pushing the older hardware quite a bit - but without the visual appeal there was, from my point of view all I'm left with is a competent My First Roguelike with graphics roughly on a par with an old PS2 game. Guess I'm done with this. It's not entirely meant as whining - I didn't exactly hate it, I can see why people are enjoying it if all they want is more dungeon crawling, so more power to Defiant - but with all the settings forcibly cranked down there's precious little left to keep me playing. Oh well.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    That's strange. I'm playing on a 3GS and really didn't notice any difference in the graphical quality after the fix. I think the graphics, while not incredible, are pretty good. Only thing I've noticed after the update was some occassional slow down, which makes me think it was at a point where it would have crashed prior to the update.

Anyway, still enjoying it, but still looking for a better Diablo-style dungeon crawler (which I hope Infinty Blade: Dungeons turns out to be).

11. morganj

Aug 31, 2009
    Hey Frisbee - if you sync the old iPad to Facebook, then you can sync the new one and have the profile come over. That will delete the profile on the new iPad, though.

If you don't have access to the old one, or if you've got progress on the new one you don't want to lose, drop me a PM and I'll sort you out with credit to grab a PW on the new one.

12. morganj

Aug 31, 2009
    Part of the reason for the crashes was that we had the settings for the iTouch 4G set the same as the iPhone 4. Turns out, there's less memory on the iPod than the iPhone, which has required us to turn down the settings in order to get stability.

We could have cut down the map-size to get things working, but that wasn't going to work out as well.

Hopefully you'll come back when you upgrade your device - should be a bunch more content by then as well. For people asking, Shadow Assassin is in development now, and there's some initial work happening on the Combat Alchemist as well.

13. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Active Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Great to hear!!!!!!

BTW: my earlier comment about having gauntlets with both lifestealing/draining AND knockback being a bug... was it? If it was, kewl. If it wasn't, may I suggest that Defiant reconsider that combo? Because it is far too overpowered.... litterally, I think I got hit 5 times on the last wizard level. That combo, plus a knock back when it item, makes you (provided you don't do anything stupid) invulnarable... I didn't haveto use a potion or a health orb for almost 3 levels.

Oh: Lich damage..... amp it!

14. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    Thank You + NEW Tip

I want to thank all of the developers at Heroes Call for helping me with my issue. When I transferred my character from my iPad 1 to my iPad 3, the wizard character, for which I paid $2.99 did get transfer over. I contacted the developers, and they quickly resolved the problem.

I have now completed the game with the warrior character, and the game is definitely tougher to do so. Also, concerning the wizard character, the equipment is much better.

Tip: When you open a barrel or slay a creature that contains a gem, there is a distinct audio sound. So, listen for the "gem" sound (you'll know it when you hear it). This way, you may pick up gems that you otherwise do not see.

Thanks again, devs.

15. morganj

Aug 31, 2009
    A note on our ongoing tweaks to Heroes Call, ahead of the new character update which should go into submission next week.

We've changed the gem-drop rates as well as the mission summons quest (now 1 gem) in order to give a bigger chunk of gameplay per session, before you hit any wait-timers that might stop you.

Interested in seeing how that works for people now - if anyone who's put it down for a while is keen to check it out and let us know, we're all ears.

16. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I really believe this game should have come with an IAP to eliminate all wait times and perhaps increase the gem drop rate. Most of the complaints about this game stemmed from people not knowing how much it would cost in IAP to skip wait times and not hit a pay wall, where without buying gems the difficulty level would be too much. Perhaps in future releases, an IAP to address this ( and possibly unlock all playable characters ) would be a good idea. That's just my take on the issue though. I put this game down because I was unwilling to spend an indetermined amount of money to enjoy it. I would appreciate a more up front pricing model. If you think the game is worth $10 dollars, $20, $50, whatever. That's cool, just let us know so we can make an educated choice as to whether we feel it is worth the asking price. That said. I migh re download and see how the update went.

17. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks

1 gem? That is terrific news! When you get right down to it, for each quest you complete, you get a gem, so there really is no wait time. If you want, just use the gem you acquire for a quest, and you should be good to go.

As for the comments of spending too much money, the only money I spent was $2.99 to unlock the wizard character. For that, I completed the game on my old iPad 1 (and now am completing the game again on my iPad 3).

I think the developers have gone way above the call of duty to provide an enjoyable game that is FREE and quality-based. Also, when the next character comes out, I will definitely play it.

If you look at peoples' criticisms, first the game was too easy, so the devs upped the difficulty of the game. Then, it was that the game had long wait times. However, now, with spending only one gem, there are no wait times because you always get a gem when you complete a quest. If you don't, make sure you search a dungeon thoroughly. Then, it was that the game had no new dungeons, so the devs added some new, random dungeons.

So, I say that if you have not tried Heroes Call in a while, you should do so. You will be glad you did.

Frisbee10461

18. sindyan

sindyan Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Any word on anymore updates? I can't wait for the new character!

19. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Re downloading!

20. morganj

Aug 31, 2009
    Should be in submission by the end of this week. Lots of changes and tweaks coming with this update, as well.