Universal Heroes Call (by Defiant Development) [Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by klicktock, May 30, 2012.

1. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I agree with your warrior spells. I almost never use stab, unless I want to get to an archer/mage from afar. The spell combo above must be my most used. But usually I mix up the 3 according to the situation. Having a "whirlwind restores health" sword allows me to in the middle of 6 enemies and not die.

Regarding the wizard spells, I am just starting out. I have stopped playing as I am encountering a gamesave bug...which hopefully the devs will fix soon.

Have not played the Shadow Assassin yet. Will probably save that for the future when devs add in more quests and environments (they said they're working on those now).

2. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Cool, but I think you can't complain much. I would love the gold drops to be a little more (at least increase proportionally with the increase in the price of gear and potions), but as it is you get decent enough gear from the game itself (maybe you'd have to play a little extra missions in the guild).

3. Austin Gaming Freak

Austin Gaming Freak New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Real Gamer
    USA
    I was looking for this information. Many thanks defred!

4. shaboo

shaboo Member

May 18, 2012
    #364 shaboo, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    Perhaps I should have been more precise here: I'm not talking about cracking open barrels and chests, I'm talking about gear that is (or is not) dropped from monsters.
    In my opinion it's a great idea to have drops that are in some way related to the creatures from which they are dropped, i.e, fighting against a knight who has sword and shield, you actually get this sword and this shield by defeating him. This mechanism is not only realistic and atmospheric, but also serves the simple purpose to motivate a player: The harder a foe is to fight and the better his equipment, the greater is the reward for a victory. Orc at least partly follows this route, where you are fighting an opponent who's carrying a sword and a shield and after the fight is over you may actually and clearly recognizable find this sword and this shield on the ground.
    In contrast, the drops in Heroes Call are (or at least seem) completely unrelated to the difficulty or the equipment of an enemy. They are all just carrying around anonymous bags with random content. Yeah, it's nice to provide some loot and gear to the player, but it's even nicer to do this in a motivating and meaningful way. I already said this before: "The harder an enemy is to fight, the greater should be the chance that he's dropping an item and the greater should be the chance that this item is somewhat powerful." If a powerful enemy is supposed to use powerful equipment, just like the player's hero does, this should also be reflected in the loot dropped.
    As it is, fighting against a bunch of easy skeletons may yield half a dozen bags, while fighting against a bunch of much more difficult orcs (or other enemies) may yield absolutely nothing, which really doesn't make it too attractive or motivating to approach dangerous or hard to beat enemies.
    And no, at least to me it's absolutely no fun to find 41 items during a quest, from which 33 cannot be used due to my character class and from which another 4 cannot be used because my current level is too low. And none of these items can be sold or converted to gold during a quest and all of these items clutter my inventory slots.
    Due to this, Orc is - at least in this respect - clearly more fun to me.

Are you seriously asking me that or have you just missed the last 20 years of video game history? Players love and greatly care about their autonomy and should NEVER be forced to do something they don't want to. The only mistake bigger than this is to REPEATEDLY force players to do something they don't want to.
    Usually I'm watching cutscenes at least once. There's always a chance they are funny. Or great to look at. Or telling an interesting story. Or creating a moody atmosphere. Or whatever. (By the way, Orc does nothing of this, as the story is the usual plain, trivial, cliche-ridden good vs. evil fantasy nonsense.) So if I decide after the third, fourth or fifth cutscene, that I don't want to be bothered by the game with more of this, the game (or the devs) should respect my decision and should not force me into something that is somewhere between boring and annoying and that is simply wasting my time. (Obviously wasting the player's time is an especially bad idea in mobile/casual games.) And this becomes even worse when I'm not only forced to watch all the cutscenes a game has to offer, but to watch them again and again, should I decide to replay any part of the game.

In games like Orc or HC people are usually replaying chapters or quests for more experience, gold or gear. Exploring or playing for fun then often becomes less important, while getting powerful equipment in as short a timeframe as possible becomes more important. Nobody, really not a single person on this whole planet, needs non-skippable cutscenes in this situation (especially when they are as mediocre as in Orc)! Also when restarting from a checkpoint after your hero has died you usually want to continue fighting and looting instead of being shown a cutscene you can't skip.

Orc's second quest in Act 3 starts with a cutscene that takes two and a half minutes. Am I really expected to waste 150 seconds of my life each time I want to replay this quest? Seriously? Please, devs (Orc devs, not HC devs), if you really think your cutscenes are that great, then, for heaven's sake, provide a video gallery and put your stuff there.

Aaaaand .... please read this:

http://www.thegeeklynews.com/2011/07/the-top-10-mistakes-that-game-designers-still-make/

5. frisbee10461

frisbee10461 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Cutscenes

You just proved my point. When you think of the return on investment of cutscenes, it is poor, and that time can be better spent by developers in terms of making more parts of the game that players play.

6. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Off-topic:

One of the worst, most poisonous ideas gripping the videogame industry right now is the misguided belief this should apply at all times and in all circumstances. No, no, no, no, no. It's this kind of weaksauce, bloodless, pointless putting the consumer up on a pedestal that gave us rubbish like Fable II. Developers, have the courage every once in a while to believe you know better than the people buying your games, because chances are you do.

But still, cutscenes ought to be skippable. :D

7. silken

silken New Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Lich issues

I started playing HC yesterday and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I do have some suggestions and I wrote the devs for that.

I registered here because I seem to be having a LOT of difficulty in killing Liches...I don't mean the guy's dad. i mean just the regular Liches.

I was reading what people in this forum have been saying and I'm quite frankly speechless! When were Liches that easy???? They kill me within two or three hits and I have equipment I dearly paid for...all yellow. He's so fast now he's almost a blur on the screen but I can't seem to actually diminish the Lich's HP without paying for one Resurrection after another after I've maxed out my potions and used them all.

I read people asking for more difficulty, but this is really over the top. I find myself with a sinking heart every time I see that sparking purple missile! The only reason I'm able to proceed at all is because I paid for gold. If someone was just playing and trying to do it without spending real money, they'd have given up by now.

Also, does anyone else find it weird that all magic hits you like a homing missile and never misses? There should be an ability to dodge the missiles somehow, no?

If you guys have suggestions for my Lich issue, I'd greatly appreciate it! I've dropped 60K in gold on just TWO Liches and they are not bosses. I dread finding out what the Big Guy's like....

8. JJE

JJE Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Artist
    Boston, Massachusetts
    If you are playing the warrior if found you have to concentrate on getting your swing combo timing right. I've had some swords that were just too fast initially to get the timing right. Thats another reason I never wear anything with knock back. I prefer the extra combo hits.
    Enjoy!
    OFAP

9. 88irocvert

88irocvert New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Share gold between classes after update does not work

Like the title says, I finished all quests with Warrior and Wizard and never had a problem sharing my gold and gems. With the new version, having all gems and scrolls turned into gold, I can no longer share that gold between characters. Is this by design?

10. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Active Member

Jun 6, 2012
    #370 MarkoPolo, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
    That was me.

One of the issues with the Liches was that they were really easy to confuse... Especially with the wizards brainworms spell. I'd teleport right at them, brainworms them, have them attack and kill everyone, while flailed on the lich until it died. Super easy. And if your knight DPS high enough, you could take down a lich in 2/3 swings, a lich king in 4 and the boss ones (Jovan, for example) in 1 3 hit combo..... They were a joke. An zombie champion or an orc lord made a lich look like a sissy, which I felt should not be the case.

But now... Now is a different story. Agreed, the liches hit a LOT harder now. Anorher problem is in some rooms, you have 2 or 3 attacking you. My strategy is to disease them from a far, wait for the blue fireball, teleport at them, run away and hit it 3 times, then flee the room and regen your health, and repeat.

Another strategy is if you know you're gonna die and you know you want to spend the $$$ to ressurect yourself, get as close to the lich asap. Go down swinging and when you resurrect, you let out a huge pillar of light and damage that will kill the lich if you've hurt it enough.

I don't mind the lich damage, but 5/6/7 per quest sometimes, not including the boss lich, and sometimes multiple liches in the same room...... On normal, nevermind hard... That's a tad excessive

11. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Active Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Furthermore.....

Love the update. Love the bank, the skins, love that the pointless gem based economy is gone, love the new quests. Now turn down the lich frequency and it'd be borderline perfecto.

Oh, since I can't shell out $$$$ to play the shadow assassin, could you make it like the plague wizard (60/80 gems, wasn't it?) how about 200k gold rather than 1.99

I know i sound cheap, but this is a work/school ipad that will let me play games for free, but not pay for games. Damn the man, eh?

12. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    \

The liches are by FAR the most difficult enemies in the game. I think it's normal to use a potion or two when fighting them, especially if you're fighting against two.

Don't lose heart mate. I fought Jovan lich a record 25 times, after which I won. I think the best way to win a lich is get a sword that decreases enemy attach speed. And then just do one combo after another and they'll die.

Also, run away when they're doing the summoning gesture...that drains your health away very very fast.

13. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Yea the skins are awesome. Funny that the wizard's skins are 1k and 4k each, but the Blood Knight's ones are 1k and 75k respectively.

The lich distribution is very, very uneven. At a certain Level, I may face up to 12 liches. WHat I do then is just run through from one room to another. It's impossible to win all of them. But funnily, when I play that same level again later, there is not a single lich to be found. This needs fixing.

14. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Why does it need fixing? Because, in real life, dungeons always have exactly the same number of liches, and so this variation compromises the integrity of the simulation?

15. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Of course, variation is very, very much welcome (and needed!). But what I refer to is extreme variation. The first time, the game is super difficult. But on the second run, without ANY single lich, the thing becomes a walk in the park. I understand if they have a variation of 6-10 liches in a level for example, but 0-12 is way too extreme. No?

16. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Btw, I don't know if this is a glitch or not, are enemies supposed to move quicker when you play as the wizard? I have orcs that walk/run 2-3 times as fast as when compared to playing the Blood Knight.

17. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I'm not sure why extreme variation is bad. What harm does it do? I'm open to being convinced. Game designers often seem to try to control the difficulty very precisely, so it's never too easy or too hard, but is that really necessary?

18. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Active Member

Jun 6, 2012
    #378 MarkoPolo, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    Because of the different types of quests out there, you will get some levels of 0 liches, and then the next one, bang: 2 in same room right off the bat. And once you get past those, there's another 6 in the rest of the level.

It's feast or famine, tons or nada. This has really really turn me off the game. I don't mind a lich or two that act as bosses... But not some levels where there are none and some levels where there are 5-8 of them, not including the boss. Especially since, and I don't know if it'sjust mee, but it seems the lich kings are much harder than the actual lich bosses... it takes about 2/3 health potions to kill a Lich king, but when killing a boss, I think I use 1 maybe 2.

*shrug* I think they took it too far with this update. I can standand tolerate the amped up lich damage, but not the frequency (or lack thereof) of howoften they spawn. Especially comparing it to the first update and how rare and wussy the liches were. I'm not kidding.... last update, a shield bash and 5 swings of the sword was enough to take down Jovan. Or even better, as the wizard, teleport up to Jovan, brainworms him, and have HIM attack the rest of the baddies in the room. Of all the times I played as the wizard last update, and of all the times I brainworms a lich, I think I failed once or twice out of 20/30 times.

It's like when I went to a steakhouse last week; my steak was undercooked, so I sent it back...10 minutes later, it comes back burned to a crisp. Yes, last update, I said the liches were too wussy, but Defiant really went too far. I shutter to think what this would be like on hard, not just on normal... Do the liches 1 shot kill you? Do you die as soon as you enter the room? Because they're hard enough on normal...

19. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
  20. frisbee10461

frisbee10461 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    My Heroes Call Stats

Hello all!

Here are my latest stats with Heroes Call. What's yours?

Warrior in Normal mode: COMPLETED
    Wizard in Normal mode: COMPLETED
    Shadow Assassin in Normal mode: COMPLETED
    Warrior in Hard mode: Level 11
    Wizard in Hard Normal mode: Level 11
    Shadow Assassin in Hard mode: Level 11