Universal Heroes Call (by Defiant Development) [Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by klicktock, May 30, 2012.

1. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Mine:

Warrior in Normal mode: COMPLETED
    Wizard in Normal mode: Level 10
    Shadow Assassin in Normal mode: YTS (yet to start)
    Warrior in Hard mode: NPTP (no plans to play)
    Wizard in Hard Normal mode: NPTP
    Shadow Assassin in Hard mode: NPTP

2. frisbee10461

frisbee10461 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Jovan on Hard Mode?

Hello, all:

I am playing Heroes Call in Hard mode. I am a level-11 warrior. I am progressing nicely, except when it comes to Jovan. I don't see how you can kill him in Hard mode. With one blast, he takes half of your hit points. The hit-and-run tactic does not work with him, as when you run, he strikes with a fireball that does half damage.

Any pointers?

Thanks,
    frisbee10461

3. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I died 25 times playing him in normal mode. Then I got the trick - use a sword that slows down his attack speed. I used 2 potions just to be sure, but yea it was doable.

Just a side thought, killing Jovan was so much harder than the final fight against the high priestess.

4. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Active Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Would you consider this to be advice for liches in general, or just for Jovan?

Ironically, with the wizard, he was the only lich that I didn't need a potion to use. However, I died and then because he was plagued, he died too, so I spent the 10k gold for the purpose of simply completing the quest.

5. 88irocvert

88irocvert New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    My record... And gold question

Here's mine:
    Wizard in Normal mode: COMPLETED
    Shadow Assassin in Normal mode: COMPLETED
    Warrior in Hard mode: Level 10
    Wizard in Hard Normal mode: Yet to start
    Shadow Assassin in Hard mode: Yet to start

I still don't know why I can't use gold from the pack I purchased during my Shadow Assassin call in my new Warrior quest. Any thoughts?

6. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks + Other Stuff

Thanks, defred for your suggestion of "I died 25 times playing him in normal mode. Then I got the trick - use a sword that slows down his attack speed. I used 2 potions just to be sure, but yea it was doable."

I completed the game with all three characters in Normal mode, and beat Jovan as a warrior pretty easily. However, for Hard mode, it is so much more difficult. I'll try your suggestion, and see what happens.

My latest stats are:

Wizard in Normal mode: COMPLETED
    Shadow Assassin in Normal mode: COMPLETED
    Warrior in Hard mode: Level 11
    Wizard in Hard Normal mode: Level 12
    Shadow Assassin in Hard mode: Level 13

Tip: You should play the characters in this order:

a. Shadow Assassin
    b. Wizard
    c. Warrior

This is because Shadow Assassin can find equipment for all three characters, the Wizard for the wizard and warrior, and the Warrior for the warrior character only.

So, play as the Shadow Assassin, and appraise and bank all blues, greens, and purples you get for the warrior and wizard. Do the same for the wizard, and by the time you get to the warrior character, you'll have a truckload of cool items.

7. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Eh I've found tons of non-warrior equipment playing as the warrior.

8. morganj

morganj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    At the moment, gold isn't portable across characters. We did this to try and stop people from having a bad experience - when you finish one character and have all the level 15 stacks of gold, then start a new one, you'll be able to buy the best of everything all the way through to about level 10. That would mean the item game would become pretty irrelevant, which breaks the gameplay - you can see what happened with the RMT Auction House in Diablo 3 to see what we were trying to avoid.

BUT

That's confusing to people, and if you buy gold it means you're stuck with it only for the character you bought it for. So, we'll change that in the next update. Until then, if you're stuck with gold you'd like to move over, let me know (email [email protected]) and I'll work something out for you.

9. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Like another guy said, this is simply not true. I've managed to get a lot of EPIC cloth/crossbow/glove loot while playing as the warrior alone.

10. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Yea they could work against all liches. Just that Jovan is the toughest among all (I think). Anyway, some levels have just so many liches that I cheat a little :p - I run through the rooms....haha.

11. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Maybe that's because you beat him before the update? The update made the liches much stronger and difficult to kill.

12. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Active Member

Jun 6, 2012

Sorry, my mistake and my bad at explaining. Lemme try again.

At first I only played the Knight, but once I got 80/90/100 (I forget) gems, I was able to spend the gems to buy the shadow wizard class. Because my Ipad is a work ipad, I cannot spend real $$ on games, only on work stuff. Because Heroes Quest would not be considered work stuff, I cannot spend the $1.99 to buy the assassin. Hell, even if you made it $.01, I still could not do so.

I was hoping for something similar for the Shadow Assassin. I know that you got rid of the gems, but I was hoping that say, once I amassed a certain amount of $$$ (let's just say, 250k, for example) that I could buy the class for that much, rather than never spending real $$ to do so.

Thank you for the offer, but I have no problem with gold or porting over anything like that (once I finish a character, I delete it) but if there was a way that I could grind out some levels to raise the $$$ to ingame purchase the Shadow Assassin class, that would awesome.

EDIT: And a plea: Lich frequency. On Normal. Oy veh. Multiple liches in the same room gives me schpilkiss in the genecktagezoink something fierce. Make it stop.

13. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Active Member

Jun 6, 2012
    FYI, I did grind a bit for some $$$ and bought uber bracers that slowed the lich a lot, and that seemed to help. I had to do it at the expense of my life draining wrists (something I consider essential) but hey, these lich(es) annoy me so much, you do whatcha gotta do.

Oh, last night in the first hallway, 3 liches and a bunch of goblins with 2 healers.

Eff.

Emm.

Ell.

14. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Active Member

Jun 6, 2012
    First off (dunno if I'm necro'ing this thread but whatever) but after playing a little while longer on this update (I couldn't update because of a time bug that wouldn't let me get into the itunes store blahblhablah whatever) there are some suggestions that I hope would be helpful to the game.

It should be said that I almost deleted this game based on the lich issue. I just found that this past update really swung the game into 2 games: the first 10ish levels where it was too easy, and the last 5ish levels which were overkill hard, especially with multiple liches in the same room and 5/6/7/+ per level. I dunno if it is just me, but they really soured my game experience when the update happened. Yes, I am the poster that 10ish pages said to amp up the damage, to not make them so wussy. That being admitted, quite frankly, the lich change is just overkill (1 lich per room with its legions of undead please and tyvm)

Anyways, I didn't delete the game, but I don't play it nearly as much as I used to. I used to really enjoy it and play it alot, but not so much. It seems that I love and enjoy playing levels 1-11, but 11-15 are just a bee to get past. I dunno if that means that the 1st 11 are too easy or what... but that's my experience.

The following are suggestions that might help to make the game experience a little more enjoyable without making it too easy. I am a big fan of games that give a chalenge to it, but that challenge has to be well done and well implemented. Please read them all, as some suggestions balance out the others as to not make the game out of balance.

1. A potion vendor. If the devs want to keep the instances on the higher levels where you face 2 liches per room, and 5/6/7/+ liches per level, fine. Give us a potion vendor at the begining of each level, to buy potions from. This way, we can have 9 health potions going into a level and the liches aren't that much of an issue. Make the price 1000 or 1500 per potion so it's still a bit of grind to earn.

2. Raise the potion cap to 15. It's funny because I rapidly get 9 potions and then once I need to regain some potions after a heavy lich level, the things are borderline Loch Ness Monster-rare to get. Even if a potion vendor isn't implemented, at least by raising the cap, it doesn't go from feast to famine so quickly.

3. Raise the $$$ drops. I love that we got rid of the gems and made everything gold based. But 300 gold per level, and maybe a 1000 gold from items is a helluva grind to buy some of the higher end quality goods. That might be the intended purpose, but I just find that I'm broke all the time, and have 1 or 2 items that are at level, and the rest is 3/4/5+ levels below. Speaking of items....

4. More useful items for the current class. Repeatedly, in levels with a high drop rate, 80-90% of the items are not for my class. I know the bank feature is new and awesome and all that, but it just sucks to have all these purple/green items that I can't use and have to sell for 50 gold and is almost a waste of inventory space. Oh, and why is selling a gold coloured 50 gold, when items a lot crappier than it go for the same?

5. Have a knight shield skill to deflect arrows. It would be nice/cool to have. Say, a progressive skill that levels up 25/50/75% that deflects enemy arrows off your shield.

6. Have eq wear down and get damaged. Since we're grinding for $$$ to get better stuff, why not have that eq break down over time? this way, zombie spitters are more feared. Especially if eq and gold drops are changed, this can provide a nice game balance that makes gold and item hording not so bad because you have to spend $$$ to fix your current items and if you don't, they can break and or shatter. Furthermore, this can also work for potions and items in your inventory, if something big hits you (ogre/super ogre) so it too acts as a game balance item for a potion vendor/increased item/$ drop.

Anyways, just a fan of the games suggestions to make it more fun, and still provide some chalenge and game balance; that is my sincere attempt. I'm not trying to make anything too easy or too hard. It is a fun game, and I hope that these suggestions are not seen as attacks, but rather as a way to make a good/great game even better.

15. arcadeMachine

arcadeMachine New Member

Sep 25, 2012
    At some time you could buy potions using the potion buttons, but only if you have none of that type. Don't know if that still works.

16. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    Lichies

About the following comment:

"It should be said that I almost deleted this game based on the lich issue. I just found that this past update really swung the game into 2 games: the first 10ish levels where it was too easy, and the last 5ish levels which were overkill hard, especially with multiple liches in the same room and 5/6/7/+ per level. I dunno if it is just me, but they really soured my game experience when the update happened. Yes, I am the poster that 10ish pages said to amp up the damage, to not make them so wussy. That being admitted, quite frankly, the lich change is just overkill (1 lich per room with its legions of undead please and tyvm)."

I agree with this 100%. I haven't played Heroes Call in a couple of weeks now, and it is because of the liches. Simply put, after you get to level 12 in hard mode, the Liches are next to impossible to kill, and there goes the fun of trying to play this game. This is a shame because I really do love this game. Alas, until the devs tone down the Lich difficulty, I will be onto other games.

Frisbee10461

17. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Ok guys, I haven't played the game in a while due to some nasty gamesave issues that I am facing, on Android.

However, I do not know if this is exclusive to Android or not, but if you find a level to have too many liches, just die, go back to the menu and start the quest again. On the second time, there are no more (or one or two max) liches. Its a bug but one that I'm happy to exploit nontheless :)

Also, if you just want to finish the level all the same, run through the liches and don't bother killing them. This method works as well, and will surely work on the iPad assuming the first one doesn't.

In the final quest to kill the high priestess, there were so many liches I just ran through.

18. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I said this before as well. It is weird that the price of everything in the game goes up, but from the onset you only get about ~300 gold a level. Not weird?

Items could be reasonably priced as well...or, the resale value of items/drop could be higher. Currently, the resale value is some 1/16 of the original value, which really is paltry.

19. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    Lichies

Someone asked about simply restarting a campaign to avoid the liches. That works, up to a point. After you get past level 10, the liches are there regardless. In addition, for some campaigns, you MUST pass the liches to win. Therefore, you are hosed.

20. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Active Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Trust me... I die enough from the liches and sometimes it works were there are 1 or 2 fewer liches, but there was one quest (the one where you have to kill the 1st century Lich) where the first hallway, 5 deaths in a row, had 2 liches as the first enemies I faced.

I don't have so much of a problem with them anymore 1 on 1, but 2 on 1 when they can heal themselves is quite excessive.

I dunno if it's a bug, but I find boss liches to be wussier than the in level liches. It took me 3 potions to take out Jovan, but that's also because I couldn't clear the skeletons out of the room first and they were beating on me as well as he was.

Agreed...... and when you get purple stuff, to wait the 20 minutes to send it to the appraiser, sucks too. Yea, you can pay the $$ to get it done asap, but what's the point of identifying something for $300 gold, when the item itself is $325? It's gotten to the point where all I do is just hoard the purple items my class at the time can use, then sell all the rest and take the loss of the item being unidentified.