Heroes & Castles (Foursaken Media) - ARPG/Strategy/Defense - Coming Jan 17!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Not sure how we're going to handle future heroes yet... some might be unlockable via IAP, some might be free, or we might make them purchasable using in-game currency (many will probably be pleased to know that H&C does not have any "premium currency"... it just has one currency you get from playing the game, which you spend on unit/building upgrades, crafting runes, etc).

We'll be shooting for the $.99 - $1.99 price range.

2. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#122 Foursaken_Media, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    Just wanted to show some new screens for Heroes & Castles... we've added some new lighting and shader effects, added normal maps to the entire level, and a few other graphical tweaks since the trailer to make Heroes & Castles look even better!

We've also added some cool game-play elements like fog for ex, which reduces the accuracy of all ranged units, forcing you to react and play differently in those environments. And finally, we've added some nice RPG style damage numbers (toggleable on/off), which really gives it a nice strategy/RPG flair.

[​IMG]
    Horde of Peons and Pikemen entering the battlefield.

[​IMG]
    Archers shoot through the fog, but with reduced accuracy. They are upgraded with flaming arrows courtesy of a veteran Longbeard leader unit.

[​IMG]
    Slaughter.

3. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Looks SO great!! I can't wait!

4. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    This. Insta-freakin'-buy.

5. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Quick update - looking like Heroes & Castles won't make it out this year :(

Probably better not to be drowned in the sea of high profile Dec games anyway... if the 1st week of Dec saw MC4, GTA, and Minigore 2 (among others), I'd hate (and am also anticipating :p) to see whats coming out the rest of the month!

We'll have an updated (specific) release date soon - it'll be sometime early January for sure though. The game is all but done, there's just a few touch ups we have to do to make sure H&C is as flawless as we can make it for version 1.0.

6. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    #126 ninjackid, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
    While these sad tidings saddens my heart, I realize it's only for the good of the game. And this, this softens my pain.

:p

Bring on January!

7. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    #127 LCDDreams, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
    Don't forget Ravensword 2 and Baldur's Gate. But yeah probably a good decision. We're doing the same thing (though at this point, I'm not sure we would have been ready for release this month anyway). Just too much competition this time of year.

8. User58394

User58394 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    #128 User58394, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
    Will you be able to see unit health?

9. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#129 Foursaken_Media, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
    No... bc there's really no need (and we hate cluttering up the play area with bars and stuff :p especially when the UI already has to be so extensive). You don't micromanage units in H&C, so most of the time you'll be looking more at "the big picture" in regards to your army size and what type of units you need to counter the current threat on the battlefield, more than for ex the health of 1 out of 25 of your Peons.

edit: we're looking into adding health overlays as an option :p

It has a really nice flow to it I think, but its a bit hard to explain without playing. I'm thinking about doing a game-play demonstration video soon to better show off the game-play.

10. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    a video's worth a thousand pics :)

11. pylos

pylos Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Can you see an overview of the battle? A map maybe?

12. Kozio235

Kozio235 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Get FAAD to sponser you guys for the first week then bring back the price. You will get much much much more users. And can we have a sneak peak of the gameplay???

13. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Its not really needed. We have a lot of context sensitive notifications for information you need to know about though - also part of the game-play is actually keeping an eye on the battlefield and being a good "commander." Not sure if you've played Bug Heroes (when it comes to mini map and notifications), but if you have you'll know what I mean :)

Thanks for the suggestion! But Heroes & Castles definitely won't be going free any time soon during or after release. The game is balanced as a paid game. You'll be unlocking something new and upgrading stuff nearly every level.

As for a video, the initial trailer is on the first page (early trailer though). Will probably see about whipping up a new one soon (less "trailery" more "demonstrationy"), as a lot of the lighting has been improved since then.

14. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

We're wrapping up all the little things as we're just about ready to submit, and would love to hear thoughts on the icon!

[​IMG]

15. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Nice icon, it looks great on my computer screen but I wonder if some of that detail and splendor will be lost when iOS size.

16. pylos

pylos Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2012
    That's an amazing icon :D it's a shame though as the detail will be lost :/ anyway how about some more screens? ;)

17. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Holy crap, that is an awesome icon!!!

18. araczynski

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    that is a nice icon, but judging by what i'm seeing by your username (about the correct size when appearing on an iOS device), i'd say ditch the castle, center the helm in the middle of the icon (in current orientation), crack open the left side (left on the icon) to reveal a cracked skull.

19. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Thanks for the comments! - and some really cool ideas :)

But don't worry about the smaller icon size... the contrast is a bit off on the smaller version of the icon that I have here (i.e. my avatar); in the most up to date version its much more bold, and the different elements pop a lot more, even at the smaller size :)

20. araczynski

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    not even a rat head sticking out of the eye hole? :)