Heroes of Order & Chaos - (by Gameloft)[Universal]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #61 Ayjona, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
    I'm not saying you are wrong, but when Gameloft decide to make a mobile version of what is commonly believed to be the most played PC game right now (and possibly of all time), with a similar business model (rotating rosters of champions), perhaps we should give them the benefit of the doubt before calling them out on not knowing what gamers want ;)

For those of you decrying the release of yet another IAP/freemium game (normally a sound instinct), in this case this business model might actually not only be justified and functional, but preferable. Given HoOC's lineage and heritage as a MOBA, and possible position as a new e-sport contender for iOS, there is ample of cause to believe the free-to-play mechanics might mirror those of League of Legends and Bloodline Champions (and to a lesser extent, games such as Tribes: Ascend and Smite), which means that real-world money only gives access to additional champions (also accessible through the rotating roster, with enough patience) and cosmetic items, and that with enough of teh grind (a less unpleasant process in the case of a game where the grind occurs automatically as you play online matches), players can earn enough digital currency to purchase new champions without the expenditure of real-world currency.

Where Gameloft might disregard the lesson of history and plunge off the deep end into a rolling ocean of excrement, would be either offering IAP items/consumables that offer in-match advantages (thus throwing the competitive balance off whack), or not providing any means of earning the digital currency through gameplay alone.

However, as providing EVERYTHING (or at least the theoretical potential of everything. Or illusion of, considering the years of gameplay it would take to earn enough Riot/Influence points to unlock everything in League of Legends) for free has, paradoxically, proven to be a tremendously profitable business model for Riot Games (and plenty of other companies, from other MOBA devs such as Stunlock Studios, to MMO makers, such as Turbine with their flagship freemium DDO and LoTRO MMOs), let's hope that if Gameloft are not nice enough to provide an open-ended freemium scheme a la LoL and BLC, then perhaps they will be clever, capitalistic and calculating enough to do so ;)

2. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    According to an IGN article about the game, it will be available on iOS and Android on October 11.

3. Thankyousteve

Thankyousteve Member

Mar 30, 2012
    I don't play lol and judging by gamrlofts previous releases, this is crap, not worth seeing, goodbye.

Ur post is way too long to read on iPhone.

4. Vallkyr

Vallkyr Member

Jul 29, 2012
    ^ funny, you judged his post then said you didn't read it.
    I enjoyed reading your post Ayjona and agreed with you whole-heartedly.

5. Tommy141

Tommy141 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Knowing gameloft, do you think the release is timed just before infinity blade dungeons?
    It looks the same, after all.

6. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

It's really nothing like Dungeons. One is a MOBA, the other is a diablo like dungeon crawler. And I doubt gameloft knows the release date of IB D...

7. Tommy141

Tommy141 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    I suppose so.
    I'd probably still buy it if it came out the same day as dungeons and turned out to be really similar!

8. Vallkyr

Vallkyr Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Again will not turn out to be similar. Gameloft has tweeted that this will be a MOBA

9. Snooper

Snooper Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Australia
    Why is there not more hype over this? LoL on the go? Yes please. In the IGN article that was linked they say it's using the same rotating system as LoL. There probably will be the option to buy in game currency (let's face it, it's Gameloft), but as long as there usn't a premium currency that lets you buy all the best gear, I don't mind really.

10. popblanks

popblanks Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    It may be like Legendary heroes where it requires u to pay to buy the champions.... I hate that...

11. Skillmaster19

Skillmaster19 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    looks disappointing, you need to pay real money to play heroes when they're not free week.

12. Vallkyr

Vallkyr Member

Jul 29, 2012
    They might have a system to where you can grind to earn the points rather than only paying irl money. This is all speculation until they release more information though.

13. JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    I have never played a MOBA. When you level up, is it permanent or just within that arena battle?

14. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Generally, you have two seperate levels.

You have your "Summoner" level, which is permanent. It determines what upgrades you have access to.

In game, you have a "Champion" level, which lasts for the duration of the match. It allows you to pick one skill per level, and makes you slightly stronger.

15. JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Thanks for the info. In general, does a high summoner level give you a significant advantage?

16. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Usually, since the higher level you are, the more upgrades your have access to.

17. JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Thanks.

I tend to stay away from Gameloft games, but this looks awesome.

18. articulate

articulate Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    They're definitely Chinese somewhere in their lineage. Chinese R&D involves. Receive and Dismantle, Reassemble and Deploy.

19. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Sometimes steal and reskin. Final Combat uses Battlefield Heroes maps and TF2 audio.

20. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member