Hexen II iPhone Port

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Eli, Feb 26, 2010.

1. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Egh...Corridor 7? Really? I'd rather replay Chex Quest

[​IMG]
    (To be fair, Chex Quest wasn't actually that bad)

I'm sad that the first Hexen(the real Heretic sequel) is getting skipped over, but this is still very exciting. I'll definitely be following this thread. :)

2. Dienekes

Dienekes Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Anyone have ANY news on this? This is at the top of my most wanted. Give me this, quake, marathon, and doom II and my retro fps dream is complete.

3. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    SS2 would work fine, but it isn't coming.

Looking Glass is gone. the copyrights are in limbo/noone cares.

replay it on your PC, you'll enjoy it more. remember, it's scary. iphone isn't very scary...

4. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    That's because no ones made a good, scary iPhone game. The closest ones have been Fallen, Cod: Zombies, Aftermath, and Soul. Honestly, with the headphones, touchscreen, and accelerometer, the iPhone could put out some really scary games if the device is used properly. The touchscreen and accelerometer could make for some of the scarieston any platform.

5. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout

I'm not sure you could fit SS2 comfortably on an iphone/ipod - a complete reworking of the inventory system would be needed, and some of the minute to minute gameplay might get tedious to manage on it. That said, I agree I don't see it legitimately getting made.

6. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    update SS2's interface to deus ex, there you go (mostly...)

what's tedious about the minute to minute gameplay? other than a shotgun firing 4 shots before it breaks...

7. Duke Floss

Mar 12, 2010
    English Roundabout
    browsing through emails/data logs, research, setting up your psi powers, using keypads, using inventory, ammo switching, etc. - all that stuff would need to be addressed and I am failing how to see how it could be done on the ipod while remaining fun and transparent to the actual gameplay.

8. debtOFskittles

debtOFskittles Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    #28 debtOFskittles, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
    I LOVE chex quest, I played it before DOOM, and I always think "doom is like chex quest" instead of the other way around, lol

ZORCH YOU ALL

9. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    That's the entire game right there pretty much... Removing/changing that would be removing/changing a huge part of the game. Some of the interface would need to be reworked, but overall, I think it could work. Just make sure that the save system is the same so that you can save whenever, and have one save for when you close the app, and it'll be fine.

10. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    the only logs I remember browsing through were the voice ones...which if you ever played the SS1 floppy edition, you would realize contribute about 60% of the atmosphere to the game. all that other stuff, it is fun. I mean remove it and what do you have? Doom? SS2 isn't for people who wanted to play Doom...if it's that cumbersome for you than why would you even fondly remember it/want to play it again?

11. Duke Floss

Mar 12, 2010
    English Roundabout
    #31 Duke Floss, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
    it was never cumbersome to play it on a larger gaming platform - but I can see where a straight port would be cumbersome on an iphone, and I think that stream lining may have a negative effect on the game.

Not saying that I wouldn't buy it in an instant to have it on the go, just saying that I could see it being a frustrating port.

12. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    I think my argument still stands. Use the Deus Ex (1) system, mostly, and you're good to go. If you streamline it too much you get Doom.

But on the other hand, you know, the cumbersome-ness was part of the scary. Remember holing up in a room to listen to a voice log or check something out, while in inventory mode, hoping nothing burst in and started attacking you...etc. etc.

13. Duke Floss

Mar 12, 2010
    English Roundabout

The DX system was almost as cumbersome - if not - more cumbersome than SS2s inventory system. The only major difference being that it paused the gameplay.

I agree that streamlining to much would leave the game feeling shallow. The only way I can see something truly working out for a game like SS2 or DX on the iphone/touch would be the gamepad attachment - only it would have to have dual sticks.

14. Duke Floss

Mar 12, 2010
    English Roundabout
    any news on this?

15. elimcfly

elimcfly Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Prolly not coming out I'd assume.

16. deathlock176

deathlock176 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    If anyone is still viewing this post, can someone tell me if this project has been cancelled?

17. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I got all excited. I was thinking this was Heretic II where you can change the other players into chickens. That was fun. I can keep hoping anyway.

18. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    This looks good.

19. Duke Floss

Mar 12, 2010
    English Roundabout
    its to bad nothing's come of this - I would love to see a Jailbreak version in a cydia repo.

20. deathlock176

deathlock176 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Yeah that would be good too.