Highest price you'll comfortably pay for game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bochu, Oct 24, 2009.

?

What's the highest you'll COMFORTABLY pay for a game?

1. Free! No one's getting my money!

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. $.99. Nothing like something off the app Value Menu

14 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. $1.99.

9 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. $2.99

20 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. $3.99

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. $4.99

20 vote(s)
    11.5%
  7. $5.99 and above. I'm a baller!

100 vote(s)
    57.5%
  1. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    I'm 'waiting' for it to get to 1.99 someday. Waiting as in if it ever does, great, if it doesn't, oh well, plenty of other games to buy/play. i'm more interested in undercraft dropping a little.

I honestly think the stupidest thing about the apps store is them allowing people to change the price on a daily basis.

you release a game at price X, then a week later you lower it and tick off all your early buyers, then you raise it again, and tick off those that missed the sale. causing others to wait for yet another sale. then you make it free for a day or two, and tick off even more people that already paid. then tick off even more that missed the freebie.

anyway.... just ran into the 11 page limit on the iphone/itouch, so i guess i have another reason to stop buying games for a while, until i finish some and get them off.

2. Totally depends on the game...

For $20 or higher, I expect a game similar to desktop shareware quality. For more that $20, I expect professional quality similar to store bought console games, meaning full number of levels nothing left out.

Problem with that might be the memory available for running apps on the iPhone/iPod touch. With older devices that's only 256MBs. This would mean that a "full" game would have to load levels into memory quite a bit.

Also, we are talking a pretty small screen. Even if the game had all the quality of a full desktop/console game, there is the screen resolution factor as well as the control factor.

I have paid $10 for games like Rolando and Rolando 2, Toki Tori, Castle of Magic, Underworlds, and Dungeon Hunter.

However, you won't see me spending $10 on games like Skee-Ball (though it is a great casual game, it's just not worth it), Spikey's Bounce Around, GoParking, Cash Cow, Meteor Blitz, etc...

3. Nico75

Nico75 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    For me also it depends what game. I ussually will dish out ten for a solid ea game but other then that I ussually try to get my games on sale or for 3.00 bucks or less because however much you can save in the long run really pays off. And means alot more games for me to play

4. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    i would easily pay for a $.99 game. $1.99-$5.99 depend on the game and reviews. $6.99 and up are for major game devs like gameloft

5. iTouchaddict

iTouchaddict Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Price

I would never go above 5

6. ThRaShEr

ThRaShEr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Those of you who won't pay more then 1.99 for a app are reeaally missing out on some great games.

7. Bruno

Bruno Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Capital Markets
    Boston
    I would say that 7.99 is affordable for a good quality game.

9.99 seems too much for today's standard. I personally paid much more for Tetris and Enigmo by the time the were released. But that was before.

Today AppStore seems to be much more competitive and with a lot of quality games fo 0.99 to 4.99 range. So above 7.99 is a little too much for now.

Cheers,

Bruno

8. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    It really depends from game to game.

9. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

The highest I'd pay for a game on the app store is 9.99, and even then it better be something damn special.

10. ufogeek

ufogeek Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    unlike full PSP or DS games, iPhone games do not have resale value - you cannot trade-in the game for another title. there is no packaging, no manual, no disc, no cartridge. it is also arguably cheaper to sell in the app store (30% fees) and there is a large user base. for those reasons, i don't think it is fair to compare pricing of iPhone games to full PSP/DS games.

11. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    thats pretty much how i gauge my purchases lol

good point :)

12. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    I own a PS3, PSP and DS and happy to pay full price for a quality developed title on those platforms, so by comparison, iPhone games are really good value for money.

And to validate that point, I will be buying Doom Classic, day 1, full price!
    The more copies that sell legitimately the more titles publishers and devs will be willing to bring to the platform.

w00t! :cool:

13. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    #33 Acidbottle, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
    since iphone games are generally cut down versions of console counterparts i think premium titles such as fifa 10 are perfectly priced at 9.99.

as someone previously pointed out, theres no physical hardware/box/intructions/distribuition so the cost of games should, quite rightfully be a little cheaper on the appstore.

what does rile me a bit is greedy merchants who charge silly money for games that were no better quality than many free public domain offerings on systems like the amiga 15 years ago! also free java games being priced at 2.99 seems rediculous.

on the whole the market is a success due to its low costs, i hope it continues as sales like the current 'pang' one seem to be working :) if a game hits a sale hours after ya bought it for full cost you shouldnt feel let down, youve helped the developer recover costs and next time it is you who may get the sale. we've all been blown out by that scenario, it happens!

14. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

True, except that DSiWare and PSP store both have a download model similar to the app store (no physical media, resale etc). 1 would assume sony/ninty take a bigger%, but other than that its the same in theory. Yet PSN titles are the same via download as in stores (Beaterator from Rockstar is $40 for both), sometimes even more expensive on PSN! There's a quite good article on it here: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2009/10/psp-go-review-sony-is-charging-you-much-more-for-much-less.ars

Personally, I would pay up to £20 for a full-on, full featured, high quality game that was well suited to the iphone and played well. At that price i'd want to try a demo first, seek out reviews etc, but if all was good, i'd pay it.

P.s. it'll be interesting to see what stance Rockstar will take with GTA/Beaterator on the app store.

15. ufogeek

ufogeek Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    the reason why the PSN games have to sell the same as the retail versions is because Sony cannot undercut its distributors. the PSN games sell at that price not because the market is willing to adopt the price, but because they simply have to be sold at that price.

the dynamics of the itunes app store, as you know, is very different. there is no alternative distribution channel. i am sure developers know by now that they are more likely to succeed charging a market-driven price rather than an emotional "what games used to sell for" kind of price.

16. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    also psp devs have to pay for the processing of the disk which i can tell you does not come very cheap...because ipod apps are all electronic, the cost is lower and therefore the price is lower...i usually only spend .99 on a game but their are exceptions like gameloft and EA's games for instence

17. thievesandtigers

thievesandtigers Active Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Minneapolis
    I voted for 3.99. I really want Baseball Superstars 2010, but I've never paid that much for a game (my iPod Touch is the first gaming console I've ever had so I'm not used to paying more). Seems silly and contradictory to me. I know I'd play BS 2010 for hours, making it totally worth the price, but I still want to hold out for a sale.

18. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Zen Bound 2 I'll happily pay £9.99
    Zen Bound 1 update (if there was one) $9.99
    Zen Bound 3GS - I'll treat that as an 1 update.

Any other game? No idea.
    ZB is the one thing I still play and I still think is awesome.

All we need now is a version for the macbooks that uses the multitouch trackpads. And for that? Same as a good PS3 game.

19. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
  20. Baseball Superstars 2009 has a small history with a two price drops, so 2010 has a chance. However, even though I have 2009, I also just bought 2010 a few days ago. Granted the graphics are not up to PS3 quality. However, what the game lacks in graphics, it more than makes up for in content. There is a lot of content for both 2009 and 2010. It's probably worth more than $6 and I'm happy to pay $6 for the privilege to play it.

I also have 9 Innings: Pro Baseball 2009, and BS 2010 (and 2009 for that matter) blows 9 Innings away.