Universal Highrise Heroes - The Towering Word Game (by Noodlecake Studios Inc)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fallentreegames

fallentreegames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 14, 2010
    Game Developers!
    UK
    Hi folks,

just wanted to say a huge thank you for your support and kind words. It means a lot to Joe and I!

Highrise was a real labour of love, and we poured a ton of effort into it to make it the best that it could be, and to maintain the standards we set ourselves with Quell Memento. It's really rewarding to get positive feedback.

Can't wait to see what scores / words you guys come up with. I got a few eight letter words in development, but I don't think we ever had a nine-letter word. Share it with us on Twitter if you get one! But remember, the key to success in the game is the location of the words, not the length. Strategy is everything!

Lewis

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This is CRAZY good. I think I bought the premium unlock after finishing the first tutorial level. :p Easily among the best word games on the App Store.

3. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Hoping for an endless high score mode, I have been looking for a SpellTower replacement since that game just gets too hard too quick.....

4. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I like this game as a lot of the levels have no timer. However it commits newbie Dev error... You can't turn off the hints.

Here I am... trying to come up with something clever and lengthy... and I gotta contend with annoying arrows flashing all over the place.

If I were to follow the hints what would be the point of even playing?

Maybe it doesn't bother others but it certainly spoils it for me. I can't believe this wasn't noticed when the game was playtested... Am I missing something here?

5. fallentreegames

Patreon Gold

Mar 14, 2010
    Game Developers!
    UK
    We have a few ideas for potential updates. You might be in for a pleasant surprise regarding the amount of levels as the game progresses. But I've said too much...

6. fallentreegames

Patreon Gold

Mar 14, 2010
    Game Developers!
    UK
    #26 fallentreegames, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    Duly noted, Mason.

The hints offer a fail-safe for players that are completely stuck, but the word may not always be in a strategic position. Also, they are only in effect for the first few levels. After that, you're on your own!

We'll certainly consider a 'hints off' option in an update. Thanks for the suggestion!

7. fallentreegames

Patreon Gold

Mar 14, 2010
    Game Developers!
    UK
    We'd love to do an endless mode in an update. Watch this space!

8. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    This was totally worth the wait. Probably the only money Im spending this week. Great job, and yes, I vote for hint turn off and endless mode!

9. Word puzzles games count me all day long, even though my spelling is God awful.

10. joemoulding

joemoulding Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Programmer
    Nottingham
    Hints are only active for the first few levels, to get you into the game. But yeah, in the next update we'll add an option to turn them off completely as even early on they can be distracting.

11. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    if you want to save your progress I recommend to use the CopyTrans tools, works perfect, I'm using this for transfering my games between devices all the time

12. Ryan_Noodle

Ryan_Noodle Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 29, 2013
    Biz guy at Noodlecake Studios
    Saskatoon
    That is actually a great idea. Who knows what updates will bring ;)

13. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Awesome

So I stayed up late last night after the wife and kids went to bed to download this at 10pm my time and low and behold 2 hours later I was like oh sh*t I've got to go to bed and wake up in a couple hours. So thanks to you guys genius in this game I have lost sleep and productivity at work( not that that matters based on what I do daily) but still loving this. First off I didn't see one intrusion that made it a free game in my playing but I bought the 2.99 unlock a few levels after the tutorial so maybe that's why ;) I just wanted to say fantastik job guys and way more than I was expecting.

The story is humorous and not too lengthy, I think it's a very nice balance to keep you going. I laughed with "He's got a banana in his pocket" other one says "don't ask" just maybe my sometimes sophmoric humor but I thought it was great.

Great job guys! and if someone is on the fence just try it even it you're not a great spelling bee champion. It's graphics are great and gameplay is stellar. If you don't like it then I'm sure they'll refund you the nothing you spent on it if you ask, but I think you'll see more than meets the eye here.

aconfusedkender

14. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Had the pleasure of beta testing this one, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It kept me engrossed for hours and I managed to make my way all the way up (or should that be down) to Floor 24. It certainly gets tougher, the further you go and I do enjoy the way the story unfolds and the fact that the designers put quite a bit of effort into making levels with some different elements I wasn't expecting (no spoilers) to keep it varied.

As others mentioned, I'd love to see an endless game or some other challenges beside the story as I'll be disappointed if it gets so tough that I can't finish the story and then be stuck!

I am probably going to purchase the IAP, even though I got this far with the freemium version and only occasionally needing to use lives. These harder later levels are a different story, so that's where I think the lives element might come into play.

Is there any way to reset my progress entirely and start afresh beside deleting the game and data? I couldn't see one.

Looking forward to future updates and more modes. I can see myself replaying this one again because the simple joy of word-making is different every time and doesn't get dull.

Oh, and I did once get a 9-letter word: BACTERIAS!

[​IMG]

15. Ryan_Noodle

Ryan_Noodle Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 29, 2013
    Biz guy at Noodlecake Studios
    Saskatoon
    [​IMG]

16. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    I hit me a Niner.

Outsiders

was a very fun blast to see that blow up ;)

17. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Rescue the China Cat? I sense a Dead Head on the Dev Team...

18. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    This game is super solid. I'm ten floors in and have seen one ad. You may have been too generous with the freemium elements! If I stick with it (I have a bad habit of dropping games quickly), I will probably drop the $3 for the premium unlock. At this point, it's the only release from yesterday still on my phone (bye Seabeard and Marvel Contest of Champions!), so that's a good sign.

Like someone else said, I like the balance of this game better than Spell Tower, which just got too difficult. I've been looking for a solid word came, and this may just fit the bill. An unlimited mode would be great. Maybe that could be part of what you get with the $3 unlock? Might be more incentive.

19. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I was hoping they were just there in the beginning and that would make sense. It seemed like I was on at least the sixth
    Stage and it was still happening so I figured maybe this had been overlooked... Maybe I jumped the gun as many other games have had this happen.

If they are going to stop then there's no issue... I'll go back to it now.

Great game btw... If the hints abate I'll be ponying up for the "premium" experience. #

20. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    The moment I knew I had to buy the premium upgrade was when I read the bio for
    the banana. You wrote a bio for a banana!
    Well done! Keep up the amazing work. Things like this make the world a better place. (BTW, I am being totally serious. Rereading this, it sounds sort of sarcastic, but I assure you, it is not.)