iPad HonorBound

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    so... whos telling the truth here

2. baelnor

baelnor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2012
    You cant play for 30 mins in a row, the energy system is not that generous.

The game it reminds you of is Blood Brothers, with the board game style dungeon.

The game is fun enough, but it does use the standard Free To Play mechanics
    * Energy Bar
    * Purchaseable Currency
    * Rebuy your energy bar
    * Combine heroes to upgrade

The nice thing is that the combat is better and there is a pokemon-esque capture mechanic so that you can try and catch monsters instead of just getting them in packs

3. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I'm not trying to beat that drum... But I just wish there was a game that played kind of like this without all the freemium nonsense! I actually like the style and take but the freemium in this just kind of makes me not want to play it. This is an interesting game though and I would recommend it to those that don't mind freemium modeled games as this feels very good and fun (the Blood Brothers comparison is kind of a good match)! Definitely one of the more fun freemium games I've played but I don't care for how the model I supposed here so unfortunately it is another game to be quickly deleted...

4. Alrikster

Alrikster Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Totally with you on that. I love the gameplay and the general feel of the game but i just absolutely hate freemium games.
    Please some dev have a premium take on that genre!!!

5. diaskeaus

diaskeaus Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    I gave this game a chance, I really did. Great concept. Combines Pokemon, Final Fantasy style battles, CCG collecting along with evolving and enhancement techniques, along with a lot of quests to go through, a huge map to progress through, and a pretty snappy art style.

Sadly, the game has an online requirement. Loading takes a long time, often stalling and forcing you to close the program and restart the program. Recommended use of an account with them instead of utilizing iCloud, which is a big turn-off. It's mostly a single-player game with some multi-player functionality, but still requires an online connection.

There are so many currencies, I still can't keep track of them. Energy, gold, some weird energy-like currency, plus runes, runes, runes (so many different kinds of runes) which are used to purchase random allies. The game also uses the unethical diminishing returns for purchasing uncommon and rare champions, in which you have to spend a huge amount of currency into order for a much smaller percentage of getting one of the better heroes.

Numerous bugs as well. Going into the item screen, if you click on an item to look at it often you are forced to use it as you can't exit the info screen without using the item, even one of the precious energy restoration potions. Storyline is minimal; zones consist of a linear progression of similar enemies, with branching paths which may or may not offer treasure or gold or more enemies, but if you miss the treasure from one of the paths you didn't take you need to expend the energy to do the same level over again.

Lots of timers, timers, timers, and the timers don't start off quick like other games. The second purchase I made had a timer for an hour before I could access the research (research is similar to Civilization games), and without research you can't actually upgrade your team, meaning that the game is gated in certain areas when enemies become too difficult and you need additional research to upgrade your soldiers.

The biggest thing for me was the stalling though. I opened the game multiple times and just couldn't play because it wouldn't load. I'm not playing from the US - and I did notice that when I logged onto my US-based VPN the game actually loaded, although loading times were still slow. It's disappointing because that means that somewhere in their server architecture they are prioritizing IP locations for access to the game, a common tactic among companies that think people from other countries are going to blitz into their fragile economy and blacken the culture with their foreign ways.

6. mistborn

mistborn Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Nope 5 mins a pop unless you use potions. Everything is on a timer, everything costs some type of currency. You can't even make it through the fourth waypoint with full energy. You have to sit there and wait five mins to move a single step or lose all progress. This could be a great game, but it's nearly unplayable as it is unless you want to drop some serious money or have legendary patience. I'm about to uninstall.

7. P00K

P00K Member

May 13, 2012
    Don't want this to turn into one of "those threads" but in case the devs are reading which they sometimes do:

I first saw the screenshots and some video and thought "That looks awesome I want to play that". Then I read about the timers and other freemium aspects.

I'm not even downloading. Give me a game I can play on my schedule for as long as I want and just pay for it up front. I can't help but wonder how much time and resources go into the development of the multiple currencies and the in-game store that would be better spent making the actual game.

8. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    What a shame to hear all this. I've actually downloaded it already but haven't played it yet; now it's getting outright uninstalled. Why bother more fremium junk?

Time to look into battleloot adventure instead.

9. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    The game is meant to be played in short bursts and also be addictive. Mobile games that work in short bursts tend to do well. It's a good game on its own merits and it's completely free if you choose so.

10. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    #30 Adsinjapan, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    I have to say, in the short time I've been playing this, I'm really enjoying it. That is not to say there's things I'd like to see changed however.
    But first, on to the good points. The visual style is pretty unique. The characters and heroes are well animated and look rather crisp. The constant trickle of storyline, while not major, is enough to keep interest directed at progression in the game. There's always something to read. The home base or castle is a nice place to return to in order to spend well earned currency, and with plenty to upgrade.
    The capture mechanic is a nice addition for any collectors out there and you feel compelled to try when you encounter a particularly cool looking enemy.
    With the ability to revisit old map locations to grind a few levels, you never quite feel overwhelmed.
    The ritual to release unwanted characters for coins is great if you're strapped for cash.

Now on to my gripes, which are few though significant.
    I typically dislike games that have major build times. Although I'm getting it out of the way early, upgrading to get a third character slot and having to wait 24 hours is kind of crappy.

Perhaps my major issue is the movement energy bar. Though it gets replenished each time the hero levels up, if you run out of energy in the map, you have to wait 5 minutes so you can move only ONE space. I consider that a little cheap.
    Ideally I would remove the energy bar altogether, however, if the game could be improved enough to be fair, then perhaps replenishing 3 or 4 energy instead of onr would at least give the gamer a little bit more to play with.

For a freemium game, it's not actually bad. I hope the devs can balance it a little more fairly in the future. It almost feels as if this is a labor of love, so I hope they can treat their fans well.

11. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Really?

12. JustBoreds

JustBoreds New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Played the game for a few days, but it's starting to get a little boring.

Energy. You usually don't have enough energy to finish a dungeon, so you either hope your hero levels up so it refills, pay money, or wait.

Research. The time required for research or upgrades seem to increase exponentially. By the 3rd or 4th upgrades the time required can take from 8 hours minimum to a few days, most taking a whole day. You only start with two researchers and having more (5 max) requires money to unlock, so any actual progress in the game takes a really long time.

Monsters/Heroes. They are actually really generous with this. You don't need to purchase runes to summon them as you can catch most, including the good ones, in the dungeons. The chances are also pretty fair, ranging from 5-30% chance for a successful capture.

Lag/Crashes. The game also tends to lag a lot and can crash from time to time. This game being relatively new, so it may be better in the future, but expect the game to lag and the heroes to hang periodically while playing.

Not a bad game, just don't expect to play it for a long time in one sitting.

13. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Yeah. I meant that the game restricts how much you can do in a set time, which made me come back when my energy was full.

14. Nycteris

Nycteris Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2012
    It reminds me strongly of (Dena) Blood Brothers, but I like the art of this game more. Still, I am not sure I can commit to any of them. They are fun, but interrupt my work day because I am so easily distracted!

15. Cyrue

Cyrue Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Is anyone else completely unable to load any of the levels or play pvp right now? It was working fine before this morning. I'm on an updated iphone 5.

16. matchstick

matchstick New Member

Nov 10, 2013
    What I meant by "generous in giving resources" was that the in-game resources (coins and embers) are abundant.

The energy gauge is another separate thing but with correct planning of which researches to be conducted first, the energy gauge restriction can be lessen. The game offers upgrades of energy cap and even energy generation rate. :)

Nevertheless, there will definitely be some waiting occasionally. E.g. Waiting for researches to be complete.

So in conclusion the game has its pros and flaws, it's either you love it or hate it. :) but like what I said previously, it's free.. So why not? I personally think it's worth trying. :)

17. Wiarumas

Wiarumas Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Blood brothers maybe.

This game is okay. It's free, you don't have to pay money. But you will be at a disadvantage in pvp and events if it's anything like blood brothers in that aspect.

Didn't play much but here are my first impressions from the 15 minutes and having previously played blood brothers:

The similarities... Picking a hero in the beginning, linear path movement with battles and loot, usage of energy to move, capturing units with in game item, summoning monsters with in game currency, a pvp arena, and probably more. Didn't play it too long but it plays A LOT like blood brothers with some improvement in some of its weaker aspects.

Where it differs/improves - combat is not automated... You actually choose what unit attacks what, ability to use special attacks on demand rather than randomized chance, research/management, and more ability to customize units.

Overall from first impression it looks like an improvement to blood brothers but falls victim to the same restrictions - timers, limited in game currency and randomized chance, non-IAP disadvantage, and linear gameplay (literally... Not talking about linear RPG storyline, but you literally go on a linear path battle to battle using an energy bar).

18. Cyrue

Cyrue Member

Dec 19, 2013
    hey guys maintenance this morning fixed all the load issues I was having.

However now I'm seeing some monsters that have a zero percent catch rate on the first try?? even tho it's 10 levels below me?

19. maksSs

maksSs New Member

Feb 18, 2014
    Hey does any one would explain me how to train rank on summoned heroes? Thing is that my sum. hero is 10 level and his level stopped progressing and keep coming TRAIN RANK...

20. Cyrue

Cyrue Member

Dec 19, 2013
    you have to research "(Class Name) Rank"

There's a lot you need to research and upgrade in this app that's for sure.