GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. tochan

tochan Well-Known Member

I think this is one of the few thread I've come across on TA that is having majority of people giving a very positive feedbacks.. I think I'm gonna pick it up just because of this haha..

Cheers!

2. aloepar1

aloepar1 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    USA
    Hey, I think some of the developers are playing and getting to the top of the leaderboards. At least now we know what to aim for ;)

3. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I might get this but I want to know if it's fiddly and stress enducing?!
    I've bought loads of 59p games to be dissapointed but this looks fun and like I would enjoy it (as long as I don't keep getting eaten by mr. Ghost)

4. zlibd

zlibd Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    New York
    definitely worth it, ive bought a lot of games and regretted the purchase but this is long enough and has lots of replayability
    the controls are great, except for the walking controls are on the small side (but you close to never use them anyways) and its only stressful because the mistakes you make are all yours since the controls work so well

5. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    #85 Acidbottle, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    very addictive game with plenty of humour, the visual style is perfect to and throws you back to the days of frustrating games with unforgiving levels in an instant! which is where i kinda get annoyed by this. been stuck on the same 2 levels for well over an hour and am starting to lose interest.

most decent games will give you some sort of satisfaction that you're improving all the time but with this i feel you either crack it by pure perseverance or complete fluke! going from 99% to 50% clearances for another half hour is too frustrating for me, and i know these are not even the insane levels!

other than that theres a lot going for this, online scores, upgrades in the shop and so on. its a really slick game and worth a purchase if yer a hardcore gamer. for those who dip into games every so often, just realise that unless yer pretty dedicated i think ya may just end up giving up.

good job tho on this, a pleasant suprise, im not really hammering it for anything other than insane difficulty, will always be the smug types who do everything on their first try and find doing anything blindfold easy ;) but most of us are not like that. incidently the levels are frog 3 and bull 1!!

edit: oki, after another hour i finally nailed frog, 2 levels of bull to go to. so perhaps, if this is indeed the last of the current levels, i was harsh on its difficulty. however, if the bonus packs you talk of are much harder i may end up in a nut house!

oh yea, more hats pls :D

6. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    picked it up in the end! Very fun so far worth 59p- I'm on all the local leaderboards which makes me feel good! Haha.
    However I've just turned it off because mr ghost gobbled me up.

And also, I bought the running shows and loot vaccum but there's no difference :( ?

7. truthlaser

truthlaser Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    There is, but it becomes more noticable when you upgrade them more.

8. Joooe

Joooe Member

Dec 21, 2008
    This game is sick :D

9. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    Count another positive review from me too.

10. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

#90 nyarla, Oct 18, 2009
    I love how as you upgrade your gear, new strategies become possible so you can get through levels faster or in different ways than before.. Like just swinging over that whole first area of level 1, which took so long to walk across originally. It's so satisfying trying to perfect your runs through a level. I've played for a few hours so far and barely touched anything past the first three levels. Must...get back...#1 score. I've probably got no chance now. :)

[edit] oh by the way, I've come across a couple little bugs:

I've had the game instantly close a few times. This has only happened on the Stone Wimpy level while I was obsessively playing and restarting many times, though like I said I've only had one or two goes at most of the later levels.. It happened even right after rebooting my iPod.

Also once, while swinging near the ceiling at the start of that same level, it glitched and I somehow ended up under the floor.. like the whole map was scrolled up and the sprite was stuck underneath the tiles at the bottom.

11. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Hey all! Enjoying the game- just unlocked the Frog Idol.

Question: why can I not shoot my rope at angles less than 45 degrees? Or, put another way, I wish the rope-shooting mechanic were more accurate. Do hook upgrades make hitting targets easier?

I enjoy rope-n-fly and part of the fun is that it's not hard to hit rope where you want. I find roping in Hook Champ to be tougher than it feels it should be. I have to pay attention to the control limitation as I try to get through levels and this interferes somewhat with the fun.

Any chance roping may be easier in an update?

12. truthlaser

truthlaser Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    #92 truthlaser, Oct 18, 2009
    I think the rope mechanic is pretty much spot-on as it is. Being able to adjust the angles would make the game harder, and the gameplay wouldn't "flow" as it does now. It'd be a "stop/start" process.

Having to stop and redo a bad shot because you misjudged the angle with the monster coming behind you would probably be really annoying.

Now you have a rule set: angles = 45 degrees.

If you change that, you'd have a completely different game, and one I have a hard time seeing working in the current level design.

EDIT: So, making the rope mechanic in this game "more accurate" would mean "less acurate" in the context of the actual gameplay.

13. Justinth

Justinth Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    This games got me "hooked".

14. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    I can not beat The Golden Frog level OR The Bronze Bull level! I tried all day yesterday! (well, not all day)

15. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Truthllaser -

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I am constantly missing targets and having to reshoot. It's the main thing that slows me down and causes me to fail a level. I want to be able to tap on a target and hit it. The 45 degree fixed angle is frustrating me. It forces the game to be about spot-on timing, which some may say is a good thing, but I was hoping for a mechanic closer to rope-n-fly.

16. Ravenlock

Ravenlock Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    One request, though it may be a design decision - can you update the leaderboards with a player's new hat icon when they get their new hat? I have the #1 Global Spot now on a couple of maps, (Gold Wimpy, Silver Monkey), but the crown you unlock when you get a #1 Global Spot doesn't actually show up until you get #1 on a second map, so my Silver Monkey one just has the standard hat.

A minor issue (and maybe intentional), but it seems a shame that I have to go back and beat my own #1 score on a map to update my hat. :p

Though as is probably evident by me bothering to try to get those scores, I looooove the game, so in all other respects, bravo, awesome, no complaints. ;)

17. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I beat Bronze Bull this morning and now im stuck on Silver Bull for the moment being. I'm trying to do the levels as much in order as possible though, so i wont go to the other two places ive unlocked already. I find it funny that the bat idol has levels titled bull.. haha

18. Medic8er

Medic8er Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Paramedic
    Midwest
    Wow, what an amazing game! This is the reason I like this site and it's forums, because I would miss out on gems like this one.

19. kijib

kijib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Incredibly successful Brain Surgeoune
    Pokemon World
    exactly how many levels are there in this game?