Universal Horn (by Phosphor Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Adamo

Adamo Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2011
    FWIW (I know you have to take a dev on their word when they say Iap is unnecessary) our first review went live and they had the following to say in regards to Iap

"Particularly given that Zynga’s the publisher, it’s worth mentioning that you can actually earn enough in-game currency through battles that you needn’t pay real-world dollars for items, though that’s an option for those who want to spend extra money on the game."

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/phosphor-games-zynga-horn/

2. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    The game crashes all the time, esp. during cut-scenes, on my ipad 2. Now i can't move on at all. :mad:

3. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I'm about an hour in and the game is absolutely fantastic so far. Full of charm, great characters, great music, beautiful, and fun to play

4. Joey1821

Joey1821 New Member

Jul 27, 2012
    iPad 3

Has anyone played it on the iPad 3? If so impressions please.

5. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Just a public service announcement - I think "early devices are not supported" is more of a buyer beware type of deal since, well, it's running on my iTouch 4G. Low res, not Retina, and none of the fancy FX, obviously - looks something like a mid-period Playstation 2 title (like a kind of blurry Haven: Call of the King, maybe). Note that I've only played a few minutes in! So it might well get to a later level, fill up the tiny memory on the iTouch, start crashing non-stop and become totally unplayable: I bought it anyway since I liked Dark Meadow, for all its flaws, and wanted to support the devs - I can always get another iOS device in the future and play it on that. But it does actually run, at least to begin with, if anyone else wants to take the risk (just don't hunt me down and demand your $7 back if it doesn't work :p ).

6. rhljk14

rhljk14 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Swansea, MA
    Why is it that everyone calls games with similar controls a clone of IB. How about IB pioneered the control system. These are touch screens, isnt the idea to provide innovation in order to advance the system and gaming experiance.

7. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Awesome, thanks for that info.
    Its an instabuy anyway.
    You guys simply know how to make a beautiful game but ye also know how to add that great intangible bit of atmosphere as well.
    Absolute best of luck with it. I hope it's a monster hit.

8. robertjan88

robertjan88 Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Optimized for the retina resolution of the new Ipad? Otherwise its a nogo for me :D
    Thanks!

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Interesting to hear. Not sure if I want to take a chance on my 3GS.

I guess the Dark Meadow freemium experiment must not have worked very well since they released this at a premium price. Yet the fact that they did go freemium with DM makes me weary as well.

The whole Zynga publishing thing is really a weird combination. Zynga is so well known for casual/social games not more "hard-core" games like this (haven't played it but know it's a far cry from Words with Friends).

10. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I would like to know if you actually played the game.

11. Cynicalone

Cynicalone Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    The Zynga name on the game worries me, add that to the Dark Meadow mess and I'm hesitant to buy this game.

12. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Just bought and installed on my ipad2 and my 4s....I'd like to hear what u guys have to say about running the game on both...I'm going into work in ten mins and plan to save this baby for tonight when I get home....but I'll be checking this thread at work so I'm curious about all this crashing talk....it's obvious this game will be on hell of a experience graphically and gameplay wise so I expect a few updates to smooth out stuff...but how's the launch people ?

13. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Damn, just tried to download this but looks like it's not to be. I apparently don't have enough local storage even though I have 2.1 gb free!!

14. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    #54 EightRooks, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    Aaand there we go, looks like the first "mission" repeatedly crashes it. Note to Phosphor - this isn't a complaint, I can totally understand how there's almost no way you could get this stable on older iOS hardware. Just surprised me the early stages ran really well, even if the visuals were cut down. Ah, well, might get to play it in a few months if I get an iPhone as my next handset... (though I'd rather wait for the iPhone 5).

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks for being the guinea pig. Now, I officially will pass on this until I get some new hardware.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This is the exact issue we were running in to and why we haven't posted a review of the game yet. Crash, lose progress, start over.

17. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Indeed.

18. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    But they explicitly state it's not supported on older hardware. You mean it does it on an iPad 3 or something for you guys as well?

19. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    #59 fulcizombie, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    I have to apologise to the great people at phosphor games for saying that the game crashes. It was all my iPad's fault, now I fixed it and the game works fine. Thanks for the interest the people at photos games showed, you guys are great and so is the game. .:)

To post some more impressions the combat is similar to IB but your character is to static, he moves and rolls around your enemies giving the combat a more console type dynamic . The game is a true action/adventure that shouldn't be compared to the IB games, it's much more satisfying and more console-type .

20. e_i

e_i Active Member

Jul 8, 2010
    New Jersey
    Played it for twenty minutes and already 4% through the game. Yes...it's a mix of Zelda and Infinity Blade. Game looks gorgeous. The voice acting is very good too...British accents. The controls made me cringe at first, but I got used to them quickly. I noticed a "restore purchases" in the game menu. Oh NOES!

Playing this on iPad 3 and no crashes. There are some hitches during cut scenes though.