Universal Horn (by Phosphor Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 16, 2012.

1. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    To be honest I wasn't being sarcastic. I might be a little excessive but I really feel that way about the icon. It's a terrible icon, and the old one was pretty sick.
    Don't really get why they had to change it. I'm putting off for now one because if the icon, and two, because of an inevitable price drop to $0.99.

And yes, I have refrained from buying a game because of the icon :D

2. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Haha!!! I genuinely, honest to God, thought you were being sarcastic. :D

The bloke who works for the development team reads the forums, I've PM'd him regarding the icon and he's replied to me personally, and there's been a fair amount of people here criticise the new icon so hopefully it gets changed back in an update.

Don't redesign a new one to replace the new one guys, just put the old one back in and leave it the hell alone. Thankfully I managed to find a somewhat pedantic workaround to get the icon swapped and end up on iOS 6, but still ... if shit ain't broke, don't fix it.

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Stupid as it sounds, I too dislike the new icon

4. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I'm still on 5.1.1. Care to tell me the trick? Also, does it have to be the paid version of iExplorer (since it went shareware w/version 3)

5. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Nope, free version works fine mate.

Find the icon you want to use via Google, you'll get what you want with a simple search 99% of the time.

Open iExplorer and navigate to the app of your choice, and click on it's folder.

Scroll down and look for the icon.png files. Some will be called variants of icon-512.png, icon-72.png, icon-50-small.png, etc. For Retina Display you only want to change ones called either icon.png, icon-512.png, icon-72.png, or [email protected].

Drag the icons in one at time from your desktop, iExplorer will ask you via a prompt if you're sure you wish to replace the item 'icon.png', say yes and repeat for the required icons. Don't resize icons to fit the ones you're replacing. If you find a 512x512 icon, you can use it three times to replace icon.png, [email protected], and icon-72.png, it'll work no problem, just name three versions of the icon accordingly.

Once you've replaced the icon files required, go to Settings, General, International, Language, and change the language. For me I'd go from British English to English. The iDevice will reboot. Check your icon, the changes should have taken effect. If not, go back into Languages and change back to the original language. If still there's no change, very rare, then you've not replaced the correct icon.png file or files.

It works a treat, used it MANY times in the past. Tried and tested. Enjoy. ;)

6. Nightshift Nurse

Nightshift Nurse Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Ugh. The old icon was terrible. It looked like a placeholder. Please don't change it back to that ugly thing.

7. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    As opposed to the DeviantArt noob level artwork of the new one.

8. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I love how you say that when it's pretty much just a screenshot from the game you supposedly love so much. :rolleyes:

Icons can make or break a game, and while the new one isn't exactly the prettiest I've ever seen it seems pretty obvious to me a significant number of people browsing the App Store would have taken one look at the old one and responded "What the hell is that supposed to be?" and never paid any attention to it again. That is not saying it wasn't an eye-catching design in its own way or that this conclusively proves it was crap or any such thing. I'm not interested in arguing that, just in somehow getting it through people's heads it's more than likely Phosphor and/or Zynga could have looked at the old icon and thought "This tells people absolutely nothing about our game, and pedantically speaking it's a black blob on a white background which no-one who hasn't already played the game or found out things about it could possibly identify. So it. Needs. Changing."

Perhaps I'm wrong, but it's not like I'm talking nonsense here. You don't like the new one, that's unfortunate; one small thing I wish iOS would copy from Android, to be honest. But stop acting like developers change these things for no reason beyond trolling their customers. -_-;

9. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    #789 callmericardo, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
    I agree!

Besides its a really big, lush, colourful 3D adventure game. Nice as the old icon was, it was 2D, black and white!

I like the main character design tho.

10. sellar

sellar Active Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Russia
    Well can somebody show me the old icon? Just want to know what the buzz is about)

11. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    go to page 78 and there you go

12. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Hey guys, ever since the update, I seem to be having difficulty in getting the game to register my tap for the evade special move button that comes up when the enemies make special attacks. This has caused me to continually lose battles. Never happened before update - I remember the game registering my tap perfectly back then.

Also, I've played a few games since Horn. There's Lili and Bard's Tale. I really think Horn should emulate the controls mechanism of Lili - it's downright simple and not clunky AT ALL! Otherwise, they should follow the one on Bard's Tale (or Heroes Call), where tap to go is implemented but you can continually drag your finger across the screen and the character will keep following. In Horn at present, this is not possible - you have to keep on tapping after every motion. Of course, the third and best option would be for a virtual joystick. But I think Option 2 is fairly good and I hope to see some progress from the devs in that respect.

Finally, to the developer, are we going to see any extra content in the game? Or is this basically the final thing (apart from some more touch-ups of course)?

13. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    #793 RebornProphet, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
    Stopped reading there because it's not a screenshot, it's clearly artwork, and because I can't be bothered reading what is no doubt some belittling attempt at a reply.

If you want people to read what you have to say, then reply as you mean to be replied to, not with sarcastic rolleye smilies, and italic text which you think somehow justifies your point further.

You condescending ..... never mind.

14. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    It would be nice if the font used for the subtitles was as crisp & sharp as the other text in the game. It seems to be unnecessarily blockier.

15. iosgamer4s

iosgamer4s Active Member

Aug 19, 2012
    When is the next update?

Update request: I would like to be able to reuse the money spent on IAPs when starting a new game once completing the first game.

16. Akoae

Akoae Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Unfortunate to me, one issue I had with the game , is not addressed in the update. I was having a dry-out from golden monsters ( no blueprints drop) and got a responce here that this is a bug that will be fixed. As I said, I updated and still the same - no drops, so I have nothing to do in-game now.

@ Adamo, please, address it in the next update.

17. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    I have the same problem and I'm almost done. :(

I was contemplating starting a fresh game but decided not to because my IAPs won't be carried anyway. Time to bury it in one of the folders and perhaps start playing again if I can use my IAPs after a decent update.

18. iosgamer4s

iosgamer4s Active Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Yeah...it kinda sucks IAPs are only good for one game.

19. Pokenaut

Pokenaut New Member

Sep 30, 2012
    #799 Pokenaut, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    Ok, I finally made an account here for two reasons: I wanted to give my two cents about the game and I'm stuck (which I will do another post for).

Initially, I would have given the game 4/5 stars, but since the update, I'm feeling more of a 2/5. Others have mentioned this issue, but I feel the need to reiterate it, I am having issues with the game recognizing my finger taps, which is especially problematic during battles. I have lost several battles because of this, which was not an issue prior to the update. I was actually having fewer issues before the update. One of the problems I am STILL having is that my chracter gets "stuck" and I just can't move him. I end up having to quit the entire mission and re-start it, which is a real bummer and detracts quite a bit from the game. ***UPDATE: I'm finding the game suddenly much more responsive with battles now, it's almost like the update kicked in finally, although that seems ridiculous. I'm chalking it up to just resetting enough that whatever the glitch was, it finally straightened itself out.***

I think the biggest issue this game suffers from are glitches, which could be improved simply by allowing frequent saves (in addition to working on patches). I also found the camera angles (especially when in the spinning room in Westernesse) were a major detriment. For me, another detractor is how the levels within each area (Westernesse, for instance) are all just expansions of each other. It sort of makes it feel like you're playing the same round over and over again, with only slight differences and that's annoying, especially when glitches force you to actually play levels over again or because of the lack of saving and how you can't really pause during a mission.

All that being said, for the price, it's a pretty good game (especially on sale) and over time, with more patches (I assume) it will only get better. Currently, I find it to be frustrating. Also, worth a mention is the lack of blueprint drops. I'm nearly done with the game and I haven't found very many of the blueprints. I assume that's my fault, but I saw someone post about how enemies are supposed to drop them and I've never had that happen. I was a bit disappointed in the lack of items, but I consider it a minor issue and I'm not certain (for the blueprints, at least) that it's the game's fault, so much as mine. ***UPDATE: I finally seem to be getting blueprints from drops.***

20. Pokenaut

Pokenaut New Member

Sep 30, 2012
    #800 Pokenaut, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    Stuck

***I don't know if something finally kicked in, or if it's just "the seventh times the charm" but I made it through this stage finally and I am getting blueprints from defeated monsters now.***

As mentioned above, I seem to be stuck.

I am in Westernesse on the Pygon Sorcery level (trying to get the last seed). I seem to have nowhere else to go in the game. I fought the sorcerer and he disappeared. Then I went through the door that opens up behind him. I went up to that edge with those two spinning wheels you have to jump past and then to that bridge, only I am on the wrong side and I can't release it so that's a dead end. I went up the stairs to where there's a horn to play which is facing a crumbling brick wall. I can see through a hole in the wall that there's a switch, which I assume I need, but I can't seem to get my guy to play the horn. I can't seem to find any other options, so I must be missing something.

Also, I can't tell if it's me or a glitch, but there's that little hidey hole with reeds in front of it and when you go into it there are three of those obstacle things that punch to the other side which you have to avoid and at the end there is a treasure chest and it will not open. Is this supposed to be like that? :confused: Thanks for any help!!:D