How can I beta test?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by LOLavi, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    +1 Btw... just imagine the reaction someone asking a big company like Gameloft or EA if they could beta test one of their games :p

2. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Too much would get leaked if they would allow people not working there test their games.

3. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    True.

4. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Ah, yes, beta testing. Oh how I wish I could have stumbled upon this thread earlier and shared my knowledge with you, alas, there is nothing left to speak of. Der-Kleine's words are crucial yet clever. Listen to his words and you will succeed! Triggywiggy has also left behind some knowledge that will hopefully steer you into the correct direction.

Anyways, back to my real typing voice. :D Just make sure you don't bug the devs. Hint: If they hate you, chances are you aren't going to be beta testing their game. Also, start out small, then strive for the bigger developers.

FUN FACT: My very first beta test was for WAVE - Against Every Beat. Which is pretty big I guess, right?

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Well it's on my iPod and I'm amazing, so yes, that makes it big :p

Now try and beta test a retina update for it...

6. SpaceJoker

SpaceJoker Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I've heard of Testflight before, and I'm registered there, but where do you find devs that let you beta test?

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Just scan the threads in the Upcoming iPhone Games forum. Mostly they'll just be notifying us of a future release but every so often they want help with testing.

8. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Haha. Lol. Thats funny cuz the 2nd or 3rd game that I tested was Aralon. :D

9. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I am interested :p

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Thanks those are great tips :) And I think I got pretty much all info I needed :p My first beta test will be DEO when it gets first build :p It seems pretty cool, you can check it out in upcoming iTouch/iPhone threads.

11. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I want to test Ultra Kid or Paper Monsters which probably isn't gonna happen xD

12. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    If you are interested in beta testing, I would really suggest that you apply only for apps in genres you like: I like RPGs, so I have tested Xenome, Rimelands and Aralon. All of these are quite long games, so you have to be prepared to put in quite a bit of time playing the game!

13. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Well Zoet I really don't like RPG and most of sports games are made by big companies like EA :p So I can focus on anything else except MMO and RPG :p

14. orea

orea Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2011
    editor
    Recently I've applied to test a game and I've successfully registered the TestFlight. It said that my regislation is awating approval by the development team and TestFlight will email me with instrutions for intalling the application when the developer has approved my regislation and updownloaded a build for my iPod Touch. However, about two days past, I get no instructions. What' wrong? What does it mean? I am comfused now.

15. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    You know, this makes me wonder. Who has the most beta testing experience here on TA??

16. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Yes, but I started testing games long before you did. (More than a year before when I think about it! :D )

I do still remember Josh from CM games being surprised when I told him that Ravensword did actually work quite well on the iPod Touch 2 with all the graphics settings on max.

17. @orea
    the devs might not have uploaded the build yet i.e. they're not done with the game yet

18. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    @orea Same thing was with me. Then you get invite to beta test it and after that you just wait for the dev to release a build. My first beta still doesn't have a build.

19. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Now, now! Let's not argue over who's most experienced, we all know it's not me. :)

20. orea

orea Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2011
    editor
    @LOLavi This is also my first beta. So you mean what I've taken seriously may turn out to be without result. I just wait and wait and all is uncertain.
    @LOLFREDLOL As what you've mentioned I hope the devs may not have uploaded the build yet so that I still have the chance. I want to have this kinda experience.