How come so many games have been going free lately? Is this an unhealthy trend?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by defred34, Dec 19, 2012.

1. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    We've had publisher interest in Polara but not in the sense of picking it up as a piece of software because publishers know that freemium is the only way to go. Anything that is a paid piece of software is not worth anything...so essentially they say either reverse engineer it to include IAPs(which Polara isn't going to work with) or involve them in the planning of the next title...however they won't pay you anything because they know there is no money to be made in it. It's kinda pathetic really...

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Well I think they have the wrong fan base. Iap is good if done right like added levels and more story and things like that not 65 ions for 2.99 or golden equipment for 10 dollars

3. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Usually the designs are more along the lines of if you want to get to this level or further yourself in the game then buy this power up, or these pieces of equipment.

Selling level unlocks makes people upset for some reason... can't win man.

4. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    But they rather buy their way to win? I remember when if there was added DLC like in mass effect they were added levels and more story plus the same for batman arkyham city. But if developers here stated they were gonna do that then people are pissed? So you wanna keep a short game rather then increase length...well ok then. Some just do not use logic.

5. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Anyone know why new releases has been removed from the App Store and replaced by top grossing (which is just a way to find more crappy freemiums ) in iOS 6

6. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    From what I've been told and from our own experiences, when you lock off any of the levels on a game with an IAP people will not bother. If you look to add to the game with say puzzle packs and such, I'm sure things would be lucrative to an extent. But what you get are people looking at the IAP and thinking well...I COULD extend this game that I've already played for a few hours...or I could go and download 3 free games that my app tracker just picked up.

And no...there isn't any logic because you're dealing with a large group of people. The casual, the gamers, the cheap, the spiteful... there is a lot of people that are involved in the movement of a title, and usually when a title does well it's because it's culturally accepted as something 'cool' or 'fun' because it's easily consumable and talked about and everyone is involved. If you consider the niche focused type games that are trying to introduce traditional worth to these titles, then you get berrated or ignored because you aren't the 'in' thing.

Also the idea that they sell things to help you through the game is so that they can make the game stop you from having fun so you have to pay to play. It's like arcade games...25 cents you get 30 seconds of holy shit gaming and then you gotta pop in another one. It's really tough gaming that helps fund the companies in the freemium market....that or making you wait a long time or making you pay after a few playthroughs. It's the only way you can get money out of people anymore without millions of dollars in marketing and back scratching...

7. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Anyone want to answer?:)

8. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    My guess would be that Apple is pushing more of the top grossing apps out there due to popularity than the new releases which they could care less about? I couldn't tell ya without it being pure conjecture though...

9. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I preferred the old way.if they are top grossing they don't need more publicity...new releases do
    I'm glad I kept my old 8GB iPod on iOS 5.1.1
    At least I can check new releases.

10. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    I wrote a long ass response to this thread earlier that explains the business practices...and it kinda details all these fun little reasons why they would do all this stuff... top grossing means supported which means more people interested which means more hardware sold...which is exactly what Apple is in the business for. Ugh.... I'm gunna be ill...

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I keep trying to drill it into my friend's head that TA is the place to go to find the real quality, through word of mouth, but he insists Clash of the Clans must be the very peak of iPhone gaming if it's in the charts.

12. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Will its a fun little freemeium I guess I mean most like it alot more but I played it for awhile and deleted it. The freemeium games are just plain boring if they incorporate some nice things that make it worthwhile then fine but doing tap tap tap tap tap......10 mins later: tap tap tap tap. Well I lose intrest very quickly plus the iap is so horrible that only little kids sucker there parents for permission to buy it like gameloft freemeiums.