How do you organize your ios games and apps?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ethanp, Jul 17, 2011.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I posted screenshots...

2. Will011

Will011 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    yes I know, but I mean, what makes a game an adventure game, etc. And I don't know many of the games in the screenshot anyway.

3. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    An adventure game to me is any game with a campaign driven by a story that doesn't fall under RPG, FPS, platformers, or any other genres. Some examples would be Lego Harry Potter, City of Secrets, 9mm, and GTA: CW.

4. Will011

May 4, 2011
    thank you! what about casual? that's the main one i'm confused about :)

5. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It's a broad definition honestly. Everyone has different perceptions on what games fall into a certain genre. For me, it's games that you can just pick up and play. More often than not, they'll be score-based and impossible to truly ever finish. Fruit Ninja, Flight Control, and Traffic Rush are three popular examples.

6. Will011

May 4, 2011
    alright, so things like angry birds too. Thanks a lot :)

7. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Unless you consider Angry Birds to be a puzzle game, then yes.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Once you reach a certain number of apps, organizing them by genre stops making sense. There are just too many games that could be classified in more than one way and eventually you'll lose track of what lives where. Alphabetising is far more reliable, so it's what I've gone with. I've got several "C-3", R-2" folders but it still looks pretty neat.

I do have a Utilities folder on my home screen though, along with Photography, Apple and Donut Games (because their icons all match ;)).

9. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    My girlfriend does that Midian, haha. She has a folder for every letter except V and Y, I think. It looks like it works pretty well. Actually, now that you put it that way, it makes a lot of sense to actually organize my games like that. Might just have to rearrange everything tonight. I'll let you know, lol.

10. leafyguyds

leafyguyds Member

Jul 16, 2011
    When the folders feature first came out, I was all about having all of my apps organized into different folders. But, eventually, I just didn't like it anymore, so now I just have all of the system apps on the first page, and a folder for all of my non-games, and then all of my games are just there, in some sort of order. :D

11. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    This kind of a weird question, but I was thinking, what category does kairosoft's games go in?

12. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    I just have game dev, so I put it under pixel art. If you have enough, you oculd put it under sim(simulation) which would include games like the sims.

13. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    My first page is the default apps, then I have 10 pages of folders according to genre like platform, educational, photo, sports, rpg's, etc. Each folder has 9 games in it for a total of 500 apps/games at any one time, since I'm always having to dump some to get some because I'm crazy nuts with the IOS and spend so much money on games, and I have 64gb, too! I just hope the ipod 5 has 128 gb because I NEED more space!

14. Ethanp

Ethanp Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    I would probably put it in a sim folder. Or maybe a "highly addictive" folder. Or a "Don't open if you want to do anything productive today" folder lol.

15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Took me an hour, but now my my iPod looks like this:

Edit: This should take away a lot of my OCD problems as far as organizing games is concerned. Good stuff. Need to get rid of that one "X" game though. Can't stand not having a folder for it, lol.

Attached Files:

16. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Yeah, I was just curious about what genre kairosoft games were (I have them all).

@backtothis: that's actually a great idea! I might have to give alphebetizing a try, because it's hard to classify a lot of games.

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah, that's what Midian said a few posts back. It's exactly why I reorganized everything.

18. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Why don't you combine some folders then? Like: A-C or W-Z

19. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I wouldn't be able to do that in most cases, lol. That would only lead to more problems in any case xP.

20. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    isn't there a way to make a folder have one app in it. I think if you make a folder and then drag one app out then the folder will only have one app. maybe you have to do it in itunes :d