How indie developer compete with the "Big Boys" out there?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by cyborg5000, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Can't see myself listed anywhere.

2. Attollos Technologies

Attollos Technologies Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    iPhone Development Company
    Odd.. try tweeting at innovatty to ask to join?

3. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    I'm wondering... what is an "indie developer" for you all?

For me, being self-published is what defines indie. Most of the time it means a smaller budget than going with Chilingo or Glu, but even games with a publisher behind don't often go over 50k budget. That's an amount an indie can raise.

indie = self published?
    indie = budget below 30k?

I agree with Rubicon, without good graphics, sound, and design, it's really gambling to think you can hit the jackpot with your game on iOS. Therefore, it's worth finding the resources to make the game good, should it be published or not. That's the only way to compete with the big boys.

4. cyborg5000

cyborg5000 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    couldn't agree with it more.

5. RewardsDen

RewardsDen New Member

Great thread, some really good ideas. However, I wanted to point out that there should be a lot of focus on retention. Its great to get a lot of users but if you can focus on retaining them and bringing them back into game play your user acquisition costs will go down and your LTV will increase. If you can retain your users longer overtime you will have more options to be able to compete with "the big boys".

6. ek1985

ek1985 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    business relationship
    We are now searching for some great apps that can provide featured banners within, so that we can exchange clicks or downloads. I think this is a much better way to promote both of our apps . It basically cost nothing and has an obvious effect on the ranking.
    contact me to learn more details,skype:ssjin85