How much do you like RPG elements?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kohjingyu, Mar 21, 2010.

?

How much do you like RPG elements?

1. I love them!

54 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. They're okay.

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. I hate them.

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    What do you mean grindy? Like a need to play lots of games and kill lots of enemies just to level up?

2. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    I would go so far as to say that I think ALL RPGs should contain RPG elements. They are THAT important.

3. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Of course. :p

But what about non-RPG games having RPG elements?

4. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Grinding is having to do lots of things which don't directly influence the game, just increase your characters strength. If you need to spend an hour just killing ladybugs in order to finally be strong enough to kill the tarantula, there is a balance issue.

It also envelops being able to kill 1000 ladybugs in the same or just slightly longer time as the tarantula, and get the same score as the person who is advancing through the game. Standing still and eliminating weak enemies is not fun, and if the reward is the same as killing the stronger enemies, why would someone want to progress.

So - to summarize - Include RPG elements in a game that is well balanced and can't be unbalanced by spending lots of time in one area and become uberpowerful making the rest of the game too easy. Include a scoring system with automatic upgrades after killing a boss (or a choice of upgrades) in all other cases.