how to fix the appstore

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Stroffolino, Feb 12, 2010.

?

What would you change in the AppStore to increase overall Apple profits?

1. Use strictly top-grossing metrics to rank apps (to encourage optimal pricing).

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Make it easier for developers to cross-promote apps or use teaser video.

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Treat developer-assigned categories as "suggestions" but have Apple determine proper categories.

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. Allow developers to buy ad space or keywords in the AppStore.

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Don't change a thing. It's perfect the way it is.

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. SicMX

SicMX Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Those two last ones would be awesome to have!

Also how about a top grossing in the separate categories?
    I for one would like to browse through all the premium games when in the games category, instead of having to go through 99c 5min games.

2. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I do wish there weren't so many games that look like they took sample code and changed one bitmap. But, I also like that apple leaves the market open to almost everyone and everything they come up with. So I don't think I'd change that. The app store is pretty awesome overall.

3. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Not so much. Way too easy to rig. If those sorting methods were available, paid apps would go free for a small period of time to gather mega review counts, then switch back to paid to appear at the top of the list. Sorting by rating would encourage devs to create hundreds of 5 star shill reviews. The end result would be two sorted lists that just show which devs can successfully work the system.

4. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    This.

Crap Pollution is what's killing everybody : Apple profit, the hard working devs, and the overall quality bar. :rolleyes:

But I wouldn't put the criteria in profit, but in quality, just like all the other mainstream consoles.

5. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    See, I dont know about the whole "only good apps get in" thing. Say you are like an aspiring new indie dev, and you want to learn the ropes of the system. Since you are just a beginner its very unlikely your app would be good enough to get in, so your dreams would be crushed!! That was a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point.

6. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    I think Apple desperately needs to crack down on low-quality/knock-off/useless/fake/scam applications.

More generally, prevent people from rating apps without leaving a review.

No, that'll just encourage shilling and review spamming. I find it hard enough to trust ratings as it is, the last thing we need is for people to be able to get their apps to the top of the charts by leaving fake reviews or sending out promo codes in return for positive reviews.

7. Yeah...I vote for the "or something", since more categories will do nothing to improve things as long as developers get to pick their app's categories.

You can look through all the existing apps and find tons of examples of miscategorized apps. Adding more categories won't change that.

8. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    It would be awesome to have an official way to do trial periods like the 360 games have.

9. carlo

carlo Well-Known Member

#29 carlo, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
    . prohibit free app, so paid app can sell
    . allow 24h trial so we dont see double listing (paid+lite) for every single game
    . Price categories to see app of the same "caliber".
    . Pack all the sexy stuff into a adult category (btw Sexy was prohibited at the beginning at AppStore so obviosuly for Apple anything goes if they can make $)
    . Check the developer category at submission..
    . Stop playing with ranking formula every week
    . Let Apple office in different countries to manage their own choice of featured and NOT get told by cuppertino which one has to be featured this week
    . Encode the binary at Itune servers with the phone key when the user buy the app to avoid piracy.

oh wait the question was how to improve Apple's profit (mostly in selling hw)?

Let the Appstore the way it is now , and spread how to jealbreak every devices

10. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    #30 EssentialParadox, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
    Agree completely. Putting Ad space into the App store would turn it into hell for indie devs. Right now it's a level playing field for everyone, big or small; where a great game will be featured based on its merits as a game, and not who paid the most money.

I think there are inherent disadvantages with all of these ideas really… I do think adding the option to upload a small trailer for each game would be beneficial. I also like the idea of sorting by highest rated. Otherwise, I don't feel the App store is broken.