How to go from 10 downloads/day to 100? Or 1000?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by maggiesgames, Oct 10, 2014.

1. kronetgames

kronetgames Active Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Marketgin and Game design
    Ukraine
    I have a question to all you guys! All you have some publishing campaign in your games, maybe it can be admob/startapp/chartboost etc...But did anybody create an advertising campaign in those ad networks with (CPI) model? I suppose it shoud work, coz you directly buy users, and if you have a good app, and monetizetion works well, why not? You should have a profit...

P.S.: in my plans, spend approximetly 100$ on Chartboost CPI advertising campaign, only for Italy region (not so hard market and competition) and with minimal bid 0.5$/install. I am interesting in what CTR i will get in purchase (100$ = 200 installs = ?inn-app purchase)

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Conversion rate for IAP for a free game is usually about 1% if you are doing well. It could be less if your game isn't great.

3. maggiesgames

maggiesgames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Yup my over 20% CTR must be pretty high. I did some keyword research, tested a few phrases, found one that worked really well and stuck with it. I am only having one single ad and one single and very specific search phrase. Currently about every fifth person who makes that search clicks my ad. Unfortunately the search term isn't that traffic heavy. But I am gonna try up my budget a little, see how much over 70 clicks/day I can get.

4. kronetgames

Aug 14, 2014
    Ukraine
    You saying about CTR for Impression/Click, but i am saying about CTR: installs/buying in-app.

Do you have any in-app purchase in your game, or just only ad-network publishing?

5. kronetgames

Aug 14, 2014
    Ukraine
    It'is really so low? I don't think so...it shoud be at least 5%, of course if you doing well and your game is to good...

6. maggiesgames

maggiesgames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    #46 maggiesgames, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Yeah I was just talking about clicks to my homepage. Doesn't say anything about install or purchases.

My app is freemium. Basically you get 2/3 levels and you can't change game settings for free and have to pay to get the final level and ability to change settings.

About 2-4% of people who download the app makes a purchase for the full version. Which is somewhere around the average. I've read average is from 1 to 5% depending on which article you read. But it's around those numbers yeah, and my numbers lands there too. So that's probably what you can expect.

I did have some ad revenue too the first few months though. I had ads on the free version, which were removed when you purchased the full version, but both AdMob and AdColony stopped serving ads to my app since it's apparently breaking some family safe content rule. I would disagree though, since I do not feel an app about sex is considered "offensive", but apparently that's their interpretation of their rules. I'd like to have ads in free version again, but I've kinda given up on finding an ad network that will allow it. If anyone have a suggestion on ad network that doesn't only allow super family safe apps let me know.

7. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I base that on what I have read, and the people who have posted on the forums. If you are doing more than 1% you are doing exceptional well.

Nearly all the free games I downloaded I haven't made an inapp purchase (bradbarian being the exception but more cause it is an indie dev and I loved and wanted to support).

My understanding is typically the people that do are often willing to do multiple purchases which how candy crush/clash of clans etc make their money with some people dropping 100's and 1000's on the game.

8. kronetgames

Aug 14, 2014
    Ukraine
    Thanks for all info, friends!