Hunters 2 Announced! - TBS by Rodeo Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Marcus70, Dec 18, 2011.

1. RodeoBenjamin

RodeoBenjamin Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Creative Director at Perchang Games
    Guildford
    Right then,

@Ashraam Thanks. Hopefully you'll end up enjoying this one even more! To answer your questions.
    1). No multiplayer in this one. We started looking into it and quickly realised it was a very different game, and the amount of resources needed would be bigger than we had at the time. So, we focussed on making the Campaign the best it could be.
    2). Hardcore mode doesn't really affect your enemies. It affect your Hunters. Once they die. They are totally wiped out of your game and you lose any weapons / armour they were carrying. It's very brutal and really changes the way you play. Which is why we call it "Hardcore" mode.

@wuzmaname Yes, H2 will look and run beautifully on both those devices.

@trystero We'll be hitting the "launch" button Wednesday morning at around 10:00AM GMT. Hunters 2 will start appearing in App Stores worldwide in the next few hours after that. So, those of you on the East Coast of the US should have it available to download when you wake up on Wednesday morning.

2. Ashraam

Ashraam Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    France
    #22 Ashraam, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks for your answers.

I have another question for you : Is this episode going to be "universal" ? (Iphone 3 & 4, Ipad 1 & 2)

3. wuzmaname

wuzmaname Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Seems like it will be universal. If that is in fact what you are asking.. I'm not quite sure what the quotation marks are for.

4. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Great news this, I'm getting married next week but at least I have this to look forward to instead.

Thanks for the lifeline guys.

5. Ashraam

Ashraam Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    France
    More clearly : Will it be available on Iphone 3GS or Ipad 1 ?

6. wuzmaname

Aug 20, 2010
    Not sure about the iphone 3GS, but it will run on the ipad as confirmed above! :)

7. RodeoBenjamin

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Guildford
    It's going to be a Universal App this time round. One size fits all! No HD versions or anything like that.

And yes, it will run on a 3GS and iPad1.

@devensega Good luck with the Wedding!

8. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Will it run at native resolution on an iPad3?

9. burn

burn Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Sys Admin
    Really enjoyed Hunters 1. Can't wait to get this one on the iPad next.

10. Winko

Winko Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Hi all
    Looking forward to this game as I totally loved the first one.
    Just wondering how the new hunters will work.
    Will it be like the last game where new ones join you as the game progresses or will we have a pool of characters to choose from.
    I like the idea of more hunters than are needed for the mission and being able select which ones I require
    Thanks
    Next week can't come quick enough

11. RodeoBenjamin

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Guildford
    @trystero, yes!

@burn, thanks! Hope you enjoy this one just as much!

@winko, we pretty much thought the same! You can now buy Hunters from the Trading Deck. They come with different weapons, armour and talent trees. It means, as you rightfully state, that you have a larger pool of Hunters to choose from when going on contracts.

Also, you'll need somewhere to buy new Hunters from when they die permenantly in Hardcore mode!

12. GURU2028

GURU2028 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    The game is very interesting and complex game play all attracted to her back and pulls!

13. RodeoBenjamin

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Guildford
    #33 RodeoBenjamin, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  14. wuzmaname

Aug 20, 2010
    Wow it's actually a really short teaser trailer... I saw about 2 seconds of hunters in action. There wasn't enough time to get hyped up before the trailer ended...

Luckily it's out in 2 days! :)

15. devensega

Feb 28, 2011
    It looks like more of the same.....only bigger and better:)

I really hope you guys do well out of this one. I played the last one a lot and would like to see you around for a while on iOS.

16. ressique

ressique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2011
    This game will be awesome for sure :)

But I believe that Hunters 2 doesn't exploit its full potential due to the lack of multiplayer. With such a modus it could rise to the position of one of the best ios games.

17. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    The original Hunters: Episode One was the single most anticipated game I've experienced on iOS and my single biggest disappointment. I had followed the development of the original, downloaded it immediately, purchased the full unlock... and wound up requesting my first (and only) refund of an app store purchase. There is no genre of game that I've lost more hours of my life to than small squad turn based combat games. The promise of having that sort of game in my pocket, from a small indie team who loved and were inspired by the same games that had sucked up so much of my time, was seemingly a fantasy come true. Then the reality hit.

The launch version of H:E1 was an unplayable mess with bugs that should have never made it out of beta. Players, including me, were getting stuck in a continuous crash loop at the launch screen, some players save games were so corrupted that even after this crash loop was eventually patched they still had to start over from scratch. Ads could lock the whole game up. The daily refresh of contracts wasn't happening, and after patches did get contracts refreshing, they were refreshing based on Greenwich time (i.e. where the devs lived). Crashes and sound glitches were common.

Now we're a over a year out from that launch and more than ten updates later and the game still experiences regular crashes. Equipment available in the trade screen has never been balanced to your hunters' levels, a seemingly simple task, and is such a hodge podge mess (which also seems to have been heavily nerfed in updates) that's it's a wonder anybody can ever outfit a team properly without checking in hourly. Promises of content updates never materialized. The game that's out there today is pretty much the same game that launched with the exception of an additional tile set, some additional (and inconsequential) bonus conditions, a few tweaks to the UI, and noticeably fewer bugs and the majority of game mechanics working as intended.

Yet, I know I'm going to mash the buy button the instant Hunters 2 appears on the North American app store because, in spite of all the above mentioned flaws, not to mention the failure to ever polish and/or extend features as was stated to be in the works numerous times, Hunters: Episode One is still the closest anyone has come to getting this sort of game right on iOS. The atmosphere was great, the sound nearly perfect, graphics weren't quite 100% but they were very good all the same, mechanics were solid and intuitive, and, most of all, the AI worked and only got better over time.

I'm tentatively counting on Rodeo to have learned from their experiences with birthing their first solo project, building a new Hunters from the ground up that works the way Hunters: E1 never quite managed. However, I don't forget what happened a little over a year ago, nor am I unconscious of the fact that although the beta was supposed to be done over multiple stages (I was officially invited but never given a download link to actually test), they seemingly went gold after just a single, short round of testing. Here's to hoping I'm not as disappointed 72 hours from now as I was Feb 27 2011 ;)

18. devensega

Feb 28, 2011
    Welp, I never experienced any of the above crash issues and the game worked perfectly from day one.
    I will agree the kit selection was a little odd at first but I just learnt to buy stuff well in advance, eventually my hunters would level up to use the kit.
    I'm sure you experienced these problems but some of your points are just nit picking........the devs use of GMT for instance.

I do have to agree with you on the updates on content though, but with the pittance this sequel is likely to cost I am more than happy. I think we forget how little we pay for these titles on iOS sometimes.......that unless its riddled with IAP.

19. Creamer2010

Creamer2010 Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Poland
    #39 Creamer2010, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  20. wuzmaname

Aug 20, 2010
    I wonder how long the campaigns are..?