Universal Hunters 2 - (by Rodeo Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 21, 2012.

1. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    They stated they weren't bringing it 8 months ago, it's 8 months later and they never implemented it, they haven't updated *anything* about the game in 7 months, and you're thinking a team that is now working on a licensed property day and night is going to drop everything to put a feature on an old game that affects a single digit percentage of players who like to whine about something the vast majority *can't* experience as a "problem" even if they wanted to. I know a lot of iOS users in my life, I know a lot of multiple iOS device households in my life, and I don't know a single person with multiple personal iOS devices.

If devs can implement a fluid, functional iCloud save mechanism, great, give them a thumbs up, but it's not "really bad" to leave it out, in fact you should be amazed anyone caters to your entitled self importance at all when the numbers of players who find this important is minuscule vs. the whole of the iOS owning audience.

2. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    This seems really hard to believe. There are a hundred million iPads, and it's got to be at least half of those people have iPhones also. That's a lot of people.

3. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Fine, I guess I do know one guy, but he's also the head Apple IT guy for a major university, so he doesn't exactly count since he has at least four iPads (that he didn't have to pay for and doesn't use except to watch video), a bunch of Macs, a backup iPhone, and since he doesn't game on any of them he doesn't care about iCloud for games.

Regardless, the fact remains it's a niche issue. It is the smallest audience you can target when developing for iOS and, therefore the first you should ignore if making resource allocation choices. Rodeo Games is quoted right now on the front page about their design philosophy in regards to spending resources on niche matters (and it's not a quote about how they love spending money on pleasing the smallest slice of their user base ;))

4. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
  5. dadiduekappa

dadiduekappa Well-Known Member

After all promises gone with wind about Hunter Ep1 at lease i hope that they don't abandon us also in that Ep2. But my hopes, I think, remain hopes. I think I will never buy again a game by Rodeo Games in future.

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    If you haven't gotten your money's worth out of H2, then you haven't played it. The only thing you not buying another Rodeo title will accomplish will be making sure you're missing out on some fantastic gameplay. You wanna hate a Dev team? Hate one that deserves it... Not one that didn't implement something trivial.

7. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Well, they said it was too difficult, that's the opposite of trivial....

8. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    iCloud support is trivial...

9. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Clearly it's not, or they would have done it. They said they wanted to, even tried several different ways to do it.

Maybe you mean, "It's not useful to Syntheticvoid."

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    So because it means so little, that means that they would have done it...?

They said they didn't do it because of saved data sizes...

Whatever... I'm in no mood

11. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I assume you've programmed such support before then? One only has to look around at all the games that run into iCloud syncing issues to know it's not trivial.

It annoys me to end when games don't have iCloud support:), but it's not a simple one line code changes as you imply.

12. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Did I say that coding iCloud support is easy or simple?

I said that the inclusion of it in games is trivial....

Here... I'll lay it out for you in VERY SIMPLE WORDS

IT'S OF VERY LITTLE IMPORTANCE IF A GAME HAS ICLOUD SUPPORT OR NOT, AND TO TURN YOUR BACK ON A FANTASTIC DEVELOPMENT TEAM BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF ICLOUD IS BEYOND REDICULOUS.

^^^ do you see anywhere in there that I say PROGRAMMING ICLOUD INTO GAMES IS EASY....?

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I think this is a semantic issue: most people think of something trivial as "easy," even though it can also mean "of little importance."

14. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It's not important to you. That doesn't mean it's not important to other people. (For what it's worth, it's not important to me either. But I don't tell other people what should be important to them.)

15. dadiduekappa

dadiduekappa Well-Known Member

Trivial or not, it's subjective. But the truth is that Rodeo Games for second time lack very much to support players.
    Go to watch thread about N.Y. Zombies 2. The developers after some weeks put in the first update all the things that players ask for. This is support.
    Not abandon a game because they work on a new one.
    And, be clear, maybe it's not so simple, but many games support iCloud, then it's not impossible.
    For me it's important, for you not. But important for all is developers that support us, how we support they buying also IAP sometimes.

16. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    #356 C.Hannum, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    If you knew that, why bother asking for a feature they already said wasn't going to be added *now*? :)

They shipped H1 in a hot mess of a state, and barely got it out of beta after several updates. For H2, they did put in the elbow grease and got it out the door in a final state. That was a big improvement. The one and only update to H2 was to deal with the inevitable bugs that did make it out the door in spite of a much more vigorous testing period. Clearly, expensive post-shipping development is NOT their business model.

With them landing the Warhammer deal, I would not expect to see them touching Hunters franchise for some time, let alone to add in a feature that has nothing to do with the core functionality of the game.

If you don't like that sort of development, vote with your wallet, but they've definitely improved.

17. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Just downloaded the 99¢ Hunters 2 and completed the tutorial/campaign mission and three missions of the day. Any tips on what order to upgrade my equipment in?

18. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #358 Bool Zero, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    Hate to give a generic answer but it really depends on your tactics and play style. I would just say don't try to be a jack of trades and focus on one tree at a time when possible while upgrading, as well as having each unit focusing on using one particular weapon. I never felt the campaign demanded a laid out setup in order of upgrading in order to make it through, but I'm sure others will have their opinions. Enjoy the game, it is a blast and one of the best in its genre (IMO) for iOS!

19. rainbowunicornsniper

Jan 19, 2013
    #359 rainbowunicornsniper, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    To answer your question, no, and then yes. The whole recycling of missions and stuff is internally generated. And yes, you can easily farm in particular with missions that use two of your hunters.
    You should try (at first) heavily relying on plasma cannons. with high attack output and 1AP cost, they're the only way to go.

20. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Why are the two hunters missions better for farming?

Is there any point in still playing Hunters Episode 1 now that I have and am playing Hunters 2?