i can't believe games are this cheap!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by meme, Dec 11, 2009.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Blinkerz, I'm gonna avoid quoting that mess 'cause the size of my post would probably blow up the forums.

I'll just sum up what your post says to me:

1) You really are cheap, considering you don't want to give console developers any money either.

2) You spend too much on the App Store. Ten times a day is an addiction and if raised prices meant a chance to cure you then I'm all for it.

3) You seem to think that just because you've never heard tell of indie developers suffering, it doesn't exist. For a start, one has already posted in this topic, seemingly questioning your morals, and secondly... just do some revision. There are articles/topics/blogs everywhere by indie devs who aren't at all happy with the way the App Store is run, and the pricing scheme is a big part of the problem.

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Blinkerz, you're really pissing me off. Call him a name, I'll bet my account you wont be banned if it is even CLOSE to cheapskate.
    as for devs giving in... you'll find a LOT of them. A LOT. Plenty devs here with great game that are going unnoticed just because they arent some big brand. Compare asphalt 5 to JCS. Which one has more sales? Asphalt 5. Which is more fun (in most people opinion)? JCS.

Now I'm out of this discussion because rereading both your responses shows huge contradiction in both of your logic. Soon this'll be flame war.

3. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Oh wow blinkerz/whateverhisnameis is a douche. OH NO! I'm not gonna get banned am I?
    Wheres aurora?

4. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Hello JazzaQ!
    Goodbye JazzaQ!

Edit: Damn Hodapp is fast!

5. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    yea iphone games are cheap

6. psionic

psionic Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    okay here's a question to anyone who's still left after all the flames are clear..

how much would you pay for a title like FF: Tactics (a new "version", not just a port) from Square? Would you ever buy it at 34.99? (day-of-release price of course)

7. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I have to agree with this.

8. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal

I agree that 4.99 is a fair price for games but there is ALOT of garbage that would have to be given the boot from the app store....like at leat 50%+ of the games that are released are complete garbage. Without TA or a site like it, it's very hard to find the "hidden gems" out there.

9. Outkast1

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    I'd pay 35 bucks for it among others if they were same as console versions... If it was new IP at least. For a complete port of FF: T, I'd pay ~20/25 or so

10. Gadm

Gadm Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I am writing from a "third world country", sorry if you dont understand my BAD english cause I am from a third world country:, why dont you just say your ****ing opinion without bringing up countries comparison?

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    ...because third world countries are poorer? Which is the point I was making?

12. doublezz

doublezz Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    #52 doublezz, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
    The situation will only become worse

I agree with the people that "$5 is a reasonable price for a game" and for the people is saying "Will go for a jailbroken if it is more than $5", I feel it is really unbelievable since by doing this is equal to steal something.

However, you cannot ignore that even you feel $5 is reasonable (low enough for a payback), THERE ARE people, and lot of people who are willing to sell their product for $0.99, or even lower but with quality.

The reason is simple: They want to sell more copies. I know it is stupid and understand exactly how it will going to be at the end but you cannot stop them by doing this.

Then I've proposed an article that Apple should update the policy that the minimum available price for an application is $4.99 then I posted it into a Chinese iPhone dev forum but can you guess what's the result? It is a big shock to me:

Thousands of the response comes back to me to expression their strong disagreement, and among those response, quite a few people are stating that even $0.99 is way too high and they hope there could be an option for $0.5 or $0.2 (Seriously!).

I posted this article in a dev forum and you can understand that most of those guys are developer who are making money on selling their products (Besides that, I want to remind you guys that actually there are tons of stuff in app store are made by Chinese instead of Indie).

As a result, they come up with a new idea which is putting many many games into a simple box to sell that's now everybody knows what it is: 15 in 1 (Recently becomes 16 in 1)

So that's the fact and now you know why the price is so cheep and I'm going to tell you: It won't become better, the situation will only getting worse. I think the only (probably the best solution) is to let apple to change the pricing policies.

Cheers,

13. JRavey

JRavey Well-Known Member

I would be OK with a $5 minimum and tighter quality control. Yes, I realize the irony of me saying this.

14. Gadm

Gadm Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    We can afford the same priced games, u have a wrong point of view.

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I think they're probably quite big on microtransactions over in China. Them wanting $0.5 and $0.2 options is probably so they can do stuff like release an RPG and charge for...(really quite pointless) individual items. It's also quite a shame they like the idea of sticking 15 games in one app, 'cause those are usually terrible.

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Not really... if he lives in a country where he can easily walk out of his house, get a job and then buy 10 apps a day... he's alright. It's not that simple in other countries, hence the term. Maybe you're alright, but you can hardly speak for the entire third world.

17. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    And yet still people bitch about prices... possibly even moreso than other consoles.

18. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Dude, if you can afford to buy an iPhone, you're hardly impoverished.

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    My point exactly. BlinkerZ really was just being cheap.

20. Outkast1

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Lot of "third world" countries are really starting to catch up, India and China are prime examples. Plus, most 3rd world countries generally have subsets of areas and populations that are well off... the economic disparity is often much more prevalent.

Regardless of where you are from, I agree that if you can afford an iDevice, you should not be bitching about a couple bucks for apps.