I hate 'Lurkers'... Do you agree?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by All-Eyez-On-Me, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

CassieTheChaoticCupcake Well-Known Member

You should read a little further. :) then you'll see that I added onto the plan a system of what some like to call "respect points" to ensure people aren't doing just that. Thanks for the concern though! ^.^

2. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #62 Coldar, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010

Ah......missed it. The thread was an interesting read though.:)
    After reading my own post I sounded somewhat harsh but wasn't my intent.
    I do agree on the lurkers/codes. Ticks me off as well.

3. Ace_97

Ace_97 Well-Known Member

We could also have admins and moderators choose a few trustworthy veterans who can grant access to people they feel deserves to see the promo codes section.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #64 Vovin, Mar 30, 2010
    I have to admit that I thought like you people about this matter a while ago... I even made a thread about it. But after giving the matter a few more deeper thoughts, I came to the conclusion that this way of thinking is wrong. Completely wrong. I changed my thinking completely.

This is a jealous, selfish behaviour.
    While reading the thread, I really started to wonder.
    It seems as if you're trying to build up a society of elite Touch Arcade users, ignoring the fact that it is not yours to decide, how the devs have to handle their promo codes.

Did you even recognize that some of the promo code threads get actually more hits than the main threads of these games?
    To deny people access to these threads would mean, that only a few "chosen members" can read what the devs write about their games?

No.
    Instead, you started to plan the giveaway handling.

If you really hate those lurkers or it ticks you off when YOUR promo codes are stolen, you should start looking for the real problem.

5. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    This and this.

It's a freebie. If you get it very nice. If you don't, please just get over it, buy the game to support the dev.

And when people say lurkers, I always wonder two things. 1) Better be that you've never ever lurked a single promo code in your life. 2) Even members can 'lurk' a code without replying to the thread, how do you define a lurker then?

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #66 Vovin, Mar 30, 2010

I agree. Btw., there are a lot of TA members who take codes without posting a "taken" - and they also write no reviews.

Does it all really matter? There are more important things in life as a few promo codes.
    Be social, stay social. Everyone should have a chance to get promo codes, member or "lurker".
    And if a dev feels the need to give you folks something, he'll pm the codes.
    If he wants to spread them freely, let him.

Stop trying to establish a caste of elite TAers. That is nonsense. Stop thinking that you deserve better chances to get promo codes.

7. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    That and that.

For one thing, devs do not HAVE to give out codes. One of those its a privilege not a right things.

Secondly, if a dev wants to give out 30 of their codes and asks everyone to PM them etc can you imagine the work it takes for them to give out FREE copies of their game? Some devs like to get into playing quizzes and things of that nature but others just want the publicity! I have actually bought quite a few games because of a promo code thread long after the codes were gone.

Thirdly, how do you account for an international audience? If the dev asks for a PM at USA 2AM the next complaint will be - hey why are you giving them away in the middle of the night?

How do you distinguish between a non member "lurker" and a member "lurker"? I know that on a couple occasions I had to post back on a thread - well after all the codes were gone apologizing for not posting that I took a code. It happens. So members WILL take codes without acknowledging them for whatever reason.

And anyway, the term lurker is such a broad term since we ALL can be considered a lurker as soon as we read a thread and do not respond to it.

8. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Respect points get abused on other forums. That has been debated to death here and I am glad they don't have them.

As a matter of fact so has the darn promo code debate. It makes me wonder that those that are so for making a system for promo codes are only here FOR the promo codes and are trying to ensure a guaranteed way to get them. Clubs, assignments, etc - all fosters an elitist community not an all encompassing one like we have.

9. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I can't believe you guys are actually talking about respect points

10. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Not me! I just wanted to point out what a farce they are!

11. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    My super-ego is all like, "oh snap!"

But my id is goin like, "yo man, gimme my codes, I got bugs crawlin on my skin, don't hold out on me man!"

My ego is playing Sword of Fargoal.

Tough call on this one.

12. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Yeah, respect and rep points don't work. As an ex forum mod elsewhere I can tell you that they either get abused or ignored. Best not to bother with it if you ask me.

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Huh?
    Woah - you're an ..... - but I really like you! :)

14. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

CassieTheChaoticCupcake Well-Known Member

I'm just making a suggestion. There's no need to go and take it the wrong way. I don't ever use promo codes. If I'm looking for a good game, I don't need a promo code to catch my interest. I do my research and buy the game with my own money based on positive feedback. I then rate the game and review it as in-depth as possible to help out the developer. I simply think it's not fair for non-members to nab all the codes and not even take the time to give it a rating (let alone review it) and the valued TA members are left with nothing to show for themselves. I understand that a lot of people live for promos, but by the time someone gets to the point of being considered, as previously said, a TA veteran, they don't much see promos as a way of getting something for nothing. They see it as a way to help developers, inform future customers, and gain a good rating (taking into consideration there is a hypothetical respect system in place).
    Now put on your big-girl knickers and deal with the fact that people actually have an opinion without it being biased to their favor. :)

15. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Wow and I was just making a comment because I do wonder about that sometimes.

You can chill out now.

16. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Vovin speaks the truth, thou must follow his wish and shut the hell up.

17. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #77 Coldar, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
    Whoa.......I can feel the heat!:p

But I'm still going to comment.

I do think the devs expect something in return for handing out codes. Some even ask for reviews. I agree codes are for publicity and discussion which is a marketing strategy. So when I find an older thread with 20 code offers and only 2 acknowledgements I don't think this is helping the dev with either.

I just don't believe those other 18 "silent code takers":rolleyes: will post a review as well which is what the devs main goal is. I just think its common courtesy to post in return for getting a free game and a review afterwards. This is called supporting the dev and what he hopes to expect and not just tossing them out to the public and fall where they may. I just feel the devs get slighted when we see missing codes w/o any acknowledgements or reviews. Imagine how they feel.

I have no answer to rectify this and it will probably always prevail but gets to be annoying for me personally.
    And yea, I'll more than likely support the dev by buying the game if its good enough and post a review.....and have already many times over.

I'm only addressing the issue I've mentioned btw (I'am but only an indie poster) and have no interest in the other previously mentioned matters other than the post count I commented on. In hopes this statement generates more reviews for the more than deserving devs out there.

18. Ace_97

Ace_97 Well-Known Member

*appluase* you have open my eyes.

19. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Idea #46-

Could something like an RSS feed or some kind of alert system be used to notify any members who have signed up for it that some promo codes for such and such game have been newly posted, thereby giving those members a heads up advantage over the lurkers? I don't know enough tech to know if that's possible to do with some program, but if possible it might require less tinkering and at least give interested members an advantage over the average lurker.
    Of course, it might not be possible and it might be a huge pain. Or maybe it's a futile and useless and stupid idea. But stupid ideas come easy for me.

(In summary: Yammer, yammer, 50-word sentences, etc.)

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #80 Vovin, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
    Why? What gives someone the right to have an advantage over the "evil" lurkers? Please explain.

I also like to see a proof, that only "lurker" take the codes without replying to the thread.
    Imgine 20 posted promo codes, all taken. Two codes are noted as taken by forum members.
    Now give me some evidence that lurkers took them. What do you do, when all the other 18 codes were taken by forum members who didn't care to reply to the thread that they took a code? You simply can't prove it.
    Have you ever taken a look at the member list? How many registrated people TA has? I bet there are a lot registered people here - only for the codes.
    And if most of the codes are actually taken by registered members and not the "anonymus lurkers", your ideas just shattered.

I think that the admins had already given this matter a lot of thoughts - and there were a lot of threads like this in the past. Don't you think we already would had such a system when the admins came to the decision that such a system is needed? Arn and Hodapp aren't that stupid.

6 weeks ago, a dev gave out 15 codes per PM and asked friendly for an AppStore review.
    In the end, he got 2 reviews. But what can he do about it? Simply nothing. And you people call that responsibility?
    If the people don't want to write reviews, nobody can force them.
    And do you people also have proof that no lurker writes reviews?
    All things you wrote are just guessings.
    Yeah - you want to support the devs. I believe that because we have a lot of nice members here. But haven't you noticed the greedy smell over the first 6 pages?

Your idea to establish a respect system is also a fail.
    This would cause trouble on the TA forums and inferior feelings by some members. Do you really want that?
    Provoke trouble and fights in a friendly forum like ours just for the sake of some promo codes?

Spreading promo codes is a game of luck for the devs.
    Sometimes, they win; sometimes, they lose. Sure, they can try to have some influence on the odds.
    But in the end it is the will of every single promo code user, if he wants to support the dev - or not.
    Even with all your ideas and code sharing systems you won't make sure that the situation will improve.
    For this, you won't have to change or to establish a system - you'd have to change the thinking of the TA users.
    And that is nearly impossible.

And in the end - registered or not - every forum user should have same rights.