Universal I Wanna Be A Hero (by 4EVA Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by 4EVA, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    If people mention "this Dev(s) gets to be one of my favorite", than you have a good game on the start, paired with an open communication and willingness to deliver people's wishes. This is very appreciated in this forum, and so do i. Thank you!

And just after saying the above, sorry, i'm getting a bit cynical next...

So many developers still seem not to have realized the possibility of screen controls...
    The optical goal for (not only) little screens would be as few visible buttons as possible, right? Right!

So how about an invisible floading joystick and a few skill button layouts?
    Nobody cares about left or right anymore.
    (Just saying, after repositioning and putting my thumb back on screen, there should be no input unless i start moving)

No need for me to test a simple invert option, but thanks for your offer.
    I'll finish off my very little backlog first.

2. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    Only regen mana while there are monsters in range - 1.5 screens, maybe. (They don't infinitely respawn, do they? Haven't downloaded yet.)

3. 4EVA

4EVA Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Game Developer
    Thanks for the compliments!

We poured our souls into the boss to make him a worthy foe. An epic quest must end with an epic boss fight right? :D

Music goes to IMBA Interactive for their awesome work.
    We will likely share the music via music streaming sites and possibly upload the files themselves for grabs.
    So stay tuned for that!

It is awesome to have your inputs and feedback! We are working on improving the tower brick by brick and the first step is to know where are the holes. So we should be thanking you for helping! Thank you!

As for the controls, we mucked around with them for a long while.
    It used to be a D-Pad. Then a joystick. Then a war happened. Treaty was then signed to merge the 2 and we got this (possibly new?) hybrid control system.
    Not sure what to call it... D-Stick? Joy-Pad? Haha. :p

After that we stuck with it and kept improving it to make it feel the best that it can be.
    Controls were definitely a big part of our focus as it is an action game.

We will look into a floating version and to make it less obtrusive.
    You have just given us some ideas and we do hope to get an even better controller in the future! Thanks again! :)

Woo we can try that idea. So odd that we only tried the reverse (No mana regen while in combat).
    And nope, monsters don't respawn around the level. We never ever want it to be grindy. Don't have tons of critters to spare too. :D

Thanks for the suggestion!

4. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    This game was wonderful.

Since the dev is so awesome just a couple thoughts

It was a little short- (or I just want more!) haha

I think the way it is now, you HaVE to get a healing spell and abuse it later levels because all the fire tiles that will be everywhere some of them you HAVE to walk through to get into corridors.

Maybe a spell shot over the tiles can wipe them away ? Right now the strat is you have to step on the tiles to remove them, health spell, wait for mana and repeat just making it a slow process not nessesarily a fun one

and I agree with whoever else said it but right now you can really abuse mana by using a chicken strat sort of speak and just heal or launch spells then wait for mana to regain...

Again I think both those fixes would have to go hand in hand because without some sort of mana regain for health the later levels would be just cross your fingers and hope fire tiles aren't in the way before you kill the fire enemies.

Maybe reward xp for running through level faster ?

Just ideas!!
    And a endless mode for people like me !? Haha

(A few more enemies also couldn't hurt just because i want to keep playing this game !)

Thanks again to the awesome dev and very fun game keep up the great work!

5. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    Or a better idea might be to handle it like Desktop Dungeons or Monster Gate (old Konami game from Japan). Exploration = mana regen. Every new tile you step into could regenerate some amount of mana. (2? 3? Would need a little playtesting to balance.) So every stage has a set amount of mana available to regenerate from walking around.

6. RareSpine

RareSpine New Member

Dec 4, 2015
    I personally would love to have the D-pad on the left side. My poor left thumb is not accustomed to not moving characters around :(

EDIT: Found the post I missed addressing this, haha. Cheers.

7. 4EVA

4EVA Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Game Developer
    Thanks for the compliments!

We definitely will be looking to expand the tower~
    Different modes, classes, mini-bosses and tons of other exciting stuff are in our to-do list.

For the fire & ice tiles, those were tricky too...
    Making them cool-off and disappear over time resulted in waiting time. No good there.
    Creating a specific skills to ignore floor effects kinda made it too luck-based and the skill too situational.
    We thought about imbuing shots too as per your idea, that will definitely make ranged skills too useful. Think piercing shot clearing both monsters and all floor effects. Haha. It became a "too good not to take" thing.

What we did end up choosing are skills that had other effects but provides hero invulnerability to floor status.
    Don't want to spoil the fun so go figure them out. :D

Our hero-testers gave us the green for them, a good general strat is to knock them out fast or lure other critters to take the hit for you.

We will still look into them and see what other solutions we may find. :)

Chicken Strat that you speak is a way to go for the cautious hero. Don't land in bad situations, pick things off one at a time. Not the most exciting but it is one steady way to beat the game.

We want to provide a challenge but not make it impossible to clear the game. The boss at the end needs his showtime and the tower needs to be fair to the heros too.

Incentives for faster runs will be considered. Scoring will help in this too.

Multiple difficulties and endless mode are also being planned.

We welcome any ideas so fire away at us! Thanks again for your feedback and support! :D

Thanks for the suggestion!

We did take reference from other Rogue-likes for mana systems although that did create a whole different feel.
    In fact, the original version didn't have mana regen of any sort. Only a re-fill on leveling the hero.
    Made the focus very heavy on mana management and it penalizes a lot when skills miss.
    All the finite mana systems we tried ended up with this issue and not ideal for an action game.

So we went "What the heck!". Let the hero have his mana!
    This led to pretty cool ways to play the game. Empower the hero and it felt so much better to use skills.
    For balance, we tuned our critters instead.

Little fact and I do hope it spark ideas - Traps can stack.

Go wild and hope you have fun! :D

Thanks for finding this post! We will be posting here regularly and getting feedback to improve the game.

Left handed controls are already in the works and will be out next patch.
    We apologize for the lapse and we will try to get it out ASAP.

Cheers and hope you are still able to have fun! :)

8. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    #48 Lull4by, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Really awesome game, my GOTW absolutely, good job Dev :)

Here are some questions and ideas:

1. Will the skill been stacked or upgraded? like if I choose the fire ball, then next time if I can choose the fire ball again, increasing the fire ball's damage or firing 2 fire balls or becoming something different to makes it stronger.

2. How about add a skill like "patient"? which can let you pass the skill-choosing if you don't like all skills showed this time, until next time you level up, give you 2 points or 2 different parts to choose other skills?

3. About the mp regain, makes it not work or at 1/2 speed regain if you are moving or there is any monster been showed. if the game have scoring system, it will force player to think about score or surviving when play the game.

4. How about add a shop system? for example, you can spend score points or something like coins to upgrade your hp/mp/mp regain/atk/def/skill level?

5. if the game will get scoring system, please use a individual leaderboard server to save top score that show in the game, there are lots of hackers cheat to makes there score impossible to beat if the game only use game center leaderboard, it will ruin the leaderboard and loss player who want to stick to this game longer.

Well maybe some advices will make the game a little bit difficult, but I still wish the game can be more deeper and more replay-value, thanks Dev.

9. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    Just random ideas but maybe a hard mode where you can only gain mana for killing, among maybe more monsters or monsters are a little tougher ?

More enemy's can never hurt : some that move in a L shape, some that can jump every other square ect.

Maybe once your on fire burning already you can step on other fire tiles without the dmg stacking ?

10. 4EVA

4EVA Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Game Developer
    Thanks for the compliments and wow that is a lot of awesome feedback! Let us run through them...

1. The hero cannot learn an active skill that he already knows, so this case will not occur. That said, Passive skill do stack and a lot of them do work on the active skills. Try and get some crazy active + passive combos! :D

2. That is a cool idea, will look into it to see how it will work. We do want to avoid users shuffling the skills and waiting to get the "strong" ones to appear. Hoping to stay true to Roguelikes here - Make the best use of what the game throws at you!

3. Both are great ideas that we will try. We are already looking at scoring, trying now to teach the sheep to use a stopwatch and count stuff. Mana regen also being looked at, definitely want to reduce waiting time for mana. Probably will go with the reverse of your suggestion (2x mana when not doing anything). Will test and see!

4. Whooo this one is touchy. We will be looking at this in the future though nothing that will directly boost the hero's power. A hero must be fair to the critters! We are thinking more of unlocking items and/or skills that will provide more interesting interactions and combos. Unlocking classes sounds exciting too and we will be working on throwing the hero into school~ :D

5. Yea, we know of that issue. A real bummer to see max score values hacked into the boards. We will definitely factor this in when looking at building the leaderboards.

Bonus. We do love a bit of difficulty since it is a Roguelike. What we want to avoid is being unfair and you can be sure we do extensive testing to make sure the game is beatable & fun! Will definitely work on more content to bump up the replay value too!

Thanks again and hope to hear more from you!

That hard mode sounds fantastic! We will be testing it out and see how it will work (and if it is possible to win).

Enemy ideas are always welcome too~ We are running a recruitment drive for minions that will appear in the upcoming content patches. Yay! :D

For the last point, we do want to keep consistency in the world. Again, a hero must be fair to the critters!
    We are still looking at the fire tiles to see if we need to turn down the heat, might look at instructing our fire elementals to move a tad bit slower.

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions!

11. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    Actually just making the fire guys move a bit slower seems like the perfect solution... Why didn't I think of that ! And if you need someone to test out a "really hard mode" I would love it!

12. neumanator

neumanator Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2015
    I know this was mentioned earlier, but I wanted to say that I too would like some sort of shop thing. Something that will let the player level up their character outside of the tower. This always makes me feel like I am progressing in a game. Can't beat the boss yet? Well, just work for a little more HP and boost your attack a bit.

I always enjoy that. That always feels like it suits roguelikes.

This is a special game you guys have here. I like that it isn't really turn based. It just goes. Love it.

I just want to see it continue to grow.

13. 4EVA

4EVA Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Game Developer
    Good to hear we're trying the right things!
    Do drop us a PM with your email & we will add you to our group of hero testers.
    Cheers! :)

Thanks for the feedback and more mentions do help us too! We will focus our efforts on what the community wants so long it works and is fun in the tower. The shop is an excellent idea and we are already drafting blueprints and assembling the minions to get it constructed.

The tower is really special for us too and we are really happy that you share the same feelings.

We will continue to improve the tower and thanks for your support!

14. 4EVA

4EVA Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Game Developer
    Just a little announcement to make~
    We have just submitted our patch to big A for review and we are keeping our fingers crossed that it will be approved before Xmas.

Here is the upcoming patch note:
    - Added Left-handed mode for controls!
    - We stopped the troll that has been turning off your music when the game starts.
    - The floor builder that forgot to patch up the walls has been sacked.
    - Some general fixes here and there around the tower.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! This patch is mostly to improve usability and some roach stomping.
    Will be looking at implementing some of the other suggestions and ideas next.
    Aiming for a content patch in Jan next year and we will be updating our progress here along the way!

Cheers! :)

15. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

For that I'm buying!! Thank you!!!

16. Zaraf

Zaraf Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    So I just cleared floor 4, and there are no stairs anywhere....

17. Water

Water Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Game Dev
    Japan
    Waiting for Patched version,

And I'll give this a try.

18. 4EVA

4EVA Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Game Developer
    Thanks for the support! :)

Oh my... we have taken a lot of measures to ensure that will not happen. You are the first to report this too so this leaves us puzzled.
    It is critical and you can be sure that we will be hunting down the roach that is responsible for messing with the builders' blueprints.

For now, we do apologize for this mishap and we can only ask for you to restart. :(

Do let us know if it occurs again and you can bet we will be sending all the minions on this hunt.

Thanks! We do hope for the patch to come out soon too. :)

19. scifistephen

scifistephen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 4, 2013
    Agreed that's how I like my games getting further by progression of character

20. 4EVA

4EVA Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Game Developer
    Thanks for the feedback!
    We will be looking into hero progression for sure although we do have to be careful with it.
    Don't want to boost our hero too much and the tower becomes a cakewalk right? :D