I want to be a dev but I dont know were to start...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TheBeastlyNinja, Aug 13, 2009.

1. ldkaplan

ldkaplan Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    For those not aware and want to get the basics of iPhone programming, Stanford published one of their classes on iTunes University.

Then google CS193p and get the class assignments. Those are actually where you will learn, the class just give you basic frameworks. Being Stanford, they expect you to read the API docs.

http://deimos3.apple.com/WebObjects/Core.woa/Browse/itunes.stanford.edu.2024353968

Should really have some programming knowledge to attempt this class. C or Java would be good.

But, you will need a Mac.

2. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    #62 Catacomber, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
    Those Stanford classes are very good. You could also check out Cocos 2d. A lot of iphone games have come out of that.

http://code.google.com/p/cocos2d-iphone/

If you have a few bucks, you can donate. : ) If you don't have a few bucks, you can still use it.

It's good to know programming and the Apple Developers site has a free pdf guide to Objective C. I have been going through the Objective C book here that people mentioned and think if you didn't already know a lot of C, you would have to supplement your knowledge. : ) I've been reading that and the Objective C book to fill in my knowledge. The book is very good but only if you already are familiar with programming. Luckily I am but still--if I were just getting my feet wet, it would be a little bit tough to get through, imho. It assumes you already know a lot. : )

I read back to the early parts of this post--I have Torque--it's a wonderful engine but I don't have nor will I ever probably have Torque for iphone--why? Cause you can't use Torquescript to get your game on iphone even if you are the best Torquescripter ever, as far as I know. If I'm wrong, please correct me. And from what I understand, you have to redo your hard coded Torquescript into C++. And from what I understand, the license charge as far as I know is per game!!!!!! Excuse me!

3. Edm

Edm Well-Known Member

May 9, 2009
  4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
  5. fairlady

fairlady Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Owner: Fairlady Media
    Raleigh, NC
    Involve those with resources!

My advice to you is this:

Tell *everyone* that you know that you are interested in developing iPhone games, and tell them what you need to get started. Tell your parents, your teachers, your friends, your parents' friends, etc. Who knows? Maybe you have a neighbor who knows someone with a Mac... even someone who does development work and could help you get started?

Surely your school has a computer lab where you could work to get familiarized with a Mac? There may be a computer teacher who would be willing to work with you and get the necessary software installed? There are lots of kids who can earn credit or special honors by completing a special project at school. Try joining or starting a computer club at your school. Sometimes there are *free* resources available to students in clubs like that...

All this will be practice for one of the essential skills in developing iPhone games... it's called networking! By getting to know other developers and making friends with people who have the resources you need, you will be better positioned to develop and market your games.

Good luck!