iCade button customisation.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Squid123, Sep 12, 2011.

1. jediknight0

jediknight0 New Member

Oct 2, 2013
    I'm working on a rather elaborate iCade mod and I'd love to know what company you found. I'm trying to get some custom artwork done myself and hit a wall when trying to find someone to print it. I have the artwork all ready to go, but the only place I found that sounds reliable and could print it want $75 which seems a little steep.

If I ever get this done I'll post pics... but to tease a little my mods includes: new control panel layout, 5 lighted pushbuttons which can each have their color set independently (8 choices), lighted joystick, lighted Bluetooth "on" display, USB charging port, and (if I can print it) custom artwork.

If you are looking for an iCade template, here you go.

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
  3. jediknight0

jediknight0 New Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Thanks for the tip. I was able to find a place in the US that printed out some self-adhesive vinyl for about $40 (including shipping). I had to cut it myself, which was a pain, but this was better that the $70 (without shipping) I was quoted at the other place I talked to.

I haven't had time to take some good pictures yet, but here's my completed iCade mod. I'm a big TRON fan so it's definitely inspired by those movies...

[​IMG]

It features a completely new control panel layout, light-up buttons and joystick, integrated iPad charger, and all the buttons can be individually set to any of 8 different colors (without a screwdriver).

Thoughts?

4. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Looks very cool but why reverse the stick and buttons? I'm a lefty and even to me it looks weird.

5. jediknight0

jediknight0 New Member

Oct 2, 2013
    When I started playing games in the arcade as a kid (I'm 41), they generally had a stick in the middle and identical fire buttons on either side. Since I'm right handed, it made sense to me to use my right hand with the increased dexterity for the joystick and my left hand for the simple button mashing.

A few years later (the "Nintendo" generation), they started putting the buttons only on the right and joystick on the left. I never got the hang of that and it just seems logically wrong.

6. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Ah that's fair I suppose, I'm 33 so I grew up with the stick on the left and games like tmnt and Simpsons.
    Even as far back as I remember which for me my first machine was the Atari2600 still button on the right :D
    I have seen people crossing there hands over and playing with the stick in their right hand and in fact that's how my daughter was playing my icade.

7. jediknight0

jediknight0 New Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Actually, the 2600 had the button on the left...

[​IMG]

:)

8. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well damn, I'm sure I remember it being on the other side but I guess it has been about 25 years :eek:

9. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well I'm on my way with my custom icade, he buttons arrived today and I fitted them,
    Found out I had the icade with security screws, which were a nightmare to get out, and making the button holes bigger makes a lot of mess,
    But it's done now,
    Next is ordering the skin and fitting it.

Attached Files:

10. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    With MFI support in games and official game pads on the horizon... Where does icade stand? What is the future for it? Will new games continue supporting icade...

11. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    No idea, for me it's imame I use it for most, and if it ever stops working I have plans to just turn my icade into a mame cabinet with the help of the raspberry pi and a cheap tv screen.

12. Bennyv07

Bennyv07 New Member

Dec 29, 2013
    can we get a tutorial for this awesome cabinet build?

13. marekjjones

marekjjones New Member

Jan 21, 2014
    4 way joystick mod - for original icade joystick

All -

I just created a guide for the original joystick that is 4-way.

It's not pretty, but it works brilliantly. 5 minute install - just open up the cabinet (make sure you have the right tamper proof torx driver), pop off the old guide (with the corners in the wrong place for playing Ms Pacman and other old games), and pop this one on. Put the cabinet back together...

The old setup was ticking me off because I couldn't play Ms Pacman worth a damn, but now it's perfect!

Anyway, I'm making these in my garage. Costs a bit in materials and time, but I'm willing to ship one to anyone (in the US) for $12.

I think I only have enough plastic to make one more or so, but I'll order more if there is demand for it.

I plan on creating an 8-way template as well, but won't unless there's demand.

Let me know if anyone's interested.

The picture shows a mixture of red and black. I thought I'd get a little fancy.

Regards.

Attached Files:

14. bikeguychicago

bikeguychicago New Member

Jan 29, 2014
    I want to update just the joystick and button switches on my iCade as I don't want to lose the concave buttons. That said, I came across these switches on eBay. Has anyone used these switches in place of the stock ones? If so, I have the following questions:
    1. Are they a 1-to-1 replacement for the stock button switches?
    2. Are they any quieter than the stock?
    3. Does it take less effort to depress the buttons with these switches installed?

Thanks!