iControlPad... Would you even use it?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RoyalCanadian, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Nope wouldn't use it. Defeats the purpose of why I have my iPhone. All in one device- no need for a separate cell phone, mp3 player, game boy, etc. I have it all on 1 device that fits snugly in my pocket and is with me wherever I go. Not going to carry this thing everywhere, and so am not going to purchase it. The only thing that may change my mind is if lots of dev's start supporting it, or if the N64 emulator pans out and works well. Then I may get one just out of curiosity... would probably use it while at home, but still wouldn't plan on bringing it anywhere.

2. Symbolist

Symbolist Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Once was a writer; then AS became to overwhelming
    Nope.

Why should I change that beautiful and elegant and expensive IPod Touch 3G 64 GB into something, which looks and feels like childrens toy?

3. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

If they had the buttons slide under the phone and good games supported it, then I would definetley look at it

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    It's still a beautiful, elegant, and expensive, iPod, it's just that now, my player in FIFA will head in the right direction and not STRAIGHT INTO THE GODFORSAKEN LINE OF DEFENSE!!!

5. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
  6. Stargaze

Stargaze New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    more updates on the iControlPAD

Looks like its just about ready to ship (or so they say)

this has been going on forever..

overall i like the design but its totally personal preference...

there is also a new one on the market that goes with the "PSP style" but no purchase info or anything on that one either..

http://www.22moo.com.au/GameBone.html

7. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If it was around $35-40 I would buy it without hesitating. Fighting games, platformers, RPGs, so much would benefit from a physical D pad!

8. Derochea72

Derochea72 Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Floor installer
    Ma
    I'm picking this up the moment it hits the shelf, very excited. I love my touch screen but it will never replace real buttons.

9. Max_TO

Max_TO Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010

It does look pretty sweet lol !

Doubt I would use it but having said that , there are many games that do lack in control do to the current touch control setup used by many of the game designers .

Perhaps in steed of needing something like this controller the game developers can solve this problem through a new control setup ?

This could simply be a matter of designers copying one another on a control system that works rather then working outside the box to create something that rocks .

10. Pistol1

Pistol1 Active Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Interesting to see the route they've taken with this. I don't think it's for me, for one reason: it doubles the size of the iPhone.

I keep my iPhone in my pocket and only play bite-sized chunks; I have little interest in carrying around something unwieldy just for games. My ideal solution would be something like the gPod, which looks absolutely perfect for me, but I'm not sure whether it'll ever make it into production...

That said, I do think the iControlPad has some excellent design features, and will be a big success. Things I like about it:

* The modular design - it'll work with all your future iDevices!
    * Analogue controls - you couldn't fit those on a case-style device.
    * Built-in battery - clever!
    * Looks like an ideal form factor for comfort.

I think the big market for this is folks who were up to now carrying round an iPhone and a handheld console, like a DS or a PSP. Get one of these and you really wouldn't need to carry a 'proper' handheld around (except for exclusive games, of course).

One thing that will make or break devices like this is developer take-up. For that reason, I'm kind of hoping that craig uses an open-source implementation for the dock connector interface, or at least allows others to use the same methods he does. I could see developers adding support for generic dock connector controls, but not realistically adding support for more than one standard. If they all shared the same interface, these devices could really take off!

11. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

Looks amazing. Will wait to see if some of my favorite games are supported well, though. Hope it'll catch on (and that the d-pad is good, of course - simply adding a d-pad doesn't mean it'll control well).