iDevices have more games than ANY OTHER PLATFORM COMBINED EVER!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Omega-F, Apr 8, 2010.

1. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, I'd agree with that.

2. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    It really depends on how you define 'good'.

3. hhhh

hhhh Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    United States
    There's a lot more than 500 "good" apps, more like 2000. I've download about 100 good games so far and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Exactly.

If you take a looks at how many good apps you have and then look at how many other apps you don't have, because of the following reasons:
    - You don't like the particular genre
    - You have never heard of the app
    - You haven't got enough money to try the app

For example, the only RPG that I have bought is Zenonia and Zenonia 2. I think most forum members will agree that there are plenty more good RPG games.
    I only own a couple zombie games, however there are many other good zombie games on the App Store.

People seem to be taking the number of apps that they personally like (limited by genre) and comparing them to the number of total apps (all genres) on other platforms.

5. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    I think it would be very difficult to come up with a list of 500 "good" apps. There just isn't that much good stuff out there. For every Solomon's Keep or Puzzle Quest there are hundreds of piles of garbage.

6. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    The problem is that good apps are hard to find. Even sites like Touch Arcade only cover a small percentage (maybe 25-35% of some of the best apps). I know it doesn't seem like it, but may apps go unnoticed. I have been downloading apps as long as they have existed, even before the days of the App Store and there are definitely more than 500 good apps.

7. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Like I said, everyone's definitions of 'good' are different. Therefore, we cannot accurately determine how many 'good' apps there are on the Appstore.

8. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Plenty of crap games in the app store, but trust me, the DS is also positively stacked with crap titles. I'd say well over two thirds are not worth buying or even considering. More than half the stuff on there not even the pirates will touch (which really says something about the quality, seeing as they don't exactly have anything to lose).

There have been worse ripoffs on the DS than anything I've ever seen on the iPhone. Ever hear of "Yoshi's Touch and Go"? It was one of the first games on the DS, released at full price, and had a grand total of...2 levels. It's was absurd to the point where I recall some of the first ROM dumps of it being mistaken for demo carts. It turns out what actually happened was that Nintendo designed the game engine as part of a tech demo, and then decided to scrap it and not turn it into a full day. But instead of cancelling it like any sane company would have done, they instead thought it would be a great idea to release the "game" at FULL PRICE, with just the testing levels from the tech demo.

Daylight ****ing robbery. I've yet to see anything that bad happen in the app store.

9. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  10. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
  11. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Speak for urself Sire.. Only urself :)

12. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I think almost everyone on this site would disagree that Doodle Jump is 'worthless'.

13. thekellen

thekellen Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    There's a lot of crap in the app store but there's also a lot of terrible console games and other handheld games. There are some games that I don't really care for that a lot of other people love. There's also some games that I love that others would say are crap.

Having a lot of variety is both a good thing and a bad thing. It's good because every niche of gaming is explored. It's bad because sometimes you buy a game that is crap and sometimes great games never get noticed in the app store.

14. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    So True :)