Universal iDOS 2 - DOS Emulator (by Litchie)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by litchie, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Jordan P

Jordan P New Member

Jun 5, 2021
    Male
    Ah! Amazing, thanks a lot!!

2. CraigG

CraigG Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Apple’s pulling the app shortly. Time to get it if you want it and download a copy via iMazing or similar, unless you install it via non-standard means.

3. Truncana

Truncana Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2013
    What a shame!

4. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
  5. nossramo

nossramo Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Male
    #1565 nossramo, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  6. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    have you tried the ripped version (26mb)?

the original one was on cd and near 500 mb of data (almost all music), that’s the problem, would be an iso file.

7. nossramo

nossramo Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Male
    Yes i tried ripped version, but maybe i not have the skills to mount the music? Are you sure all music files are invluded in the ripped version?

8. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    no, it doesn't have music, just the game and sound fx, it's made on purpose, otherwise you have to get the iso version and mount it.

9. nossramo

nossramo Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Male
    Do you have skills to help me mount it with iDOS2 ? i am not familiar with directory/mounting

10. nossramo

nossramo Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Male
    Is it possible to unzip all just in one folder and modify some files to just click install.exe and all works? :)

11. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    i’ve done it a couple of times through the options on the floppy drive, “cd image” one, but i always prefer to side load the ripped and smaller versions, if they’re available.

12. nossramo

nossramo Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Male
    Please add me on Skype if you are so kind to help, i can pay for the help.
    nossramo6

13. Dry Toast

Dry Toast New Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Male
    First off, this app has been a delight since I first downloaded it, thank you SO much for making it!

I’m wondering if there’s support for the 2nd analog stick on a PS4 controller. When in iDOS 2, I tap on the Bluetooth icon on the top of the screen while in landscape, and in the DualShock 4 controller window (almost) everything responds: triggers, D-Pad, buttons, left stick, except the right stick of course, for which there isn’t anything onscreen to represent it. Tried looking in the 2/3/4th controller spaces, not showing response there either.

I tried setting the following in the DOSPAD.CFG file:

[joystick]
    joysticktype=4axis

…but nothing happened. Thought maybe just the interface wasn’t reflecting it, so I tried assigning a function to the 2nd stick in Descent, but no response.

In case it’s relevant, I’m on an 11” iPad Pro (2018), 64GB, no cellular, space grey.

14. Dry Toast

Dry Toast New Member

Aug 19, 2021
    Male
    Folks were talking about performance of DOS-based emulators earlier, thought I’d chime in with my experience thus far:

ZSNES runs almost perfectly on a more modern machine (I saw some comments earlier were on hardware as far back as an iPhone 5S). I get 20-40fps on Super Mario World on an iPad Pro (2018) when set to 320x200x16b VESA2 with sound on stereo 22khz. Not as fluid as I’d like, but I’d imagine a new iPad Pro with the M1 would be locked at 60fps.

Sure if you don’t have your emulator (iDOS 2 / DOSBox) running an emulator (SNES9x / ZSNES) you’ll probably get better performance. As such, I’d imagine Delta (https://deltaemulatorapp.com/) and Eclipse (https://eclipseemu.me/) and the like are probably rockin’. Personally, I’ve got a soft spot for ZSNES, always have, always will.

Meanwhile, all the native DOS stuff I’ve run: TIE Fighter, Warcraft 2, Descent, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Prince of Persia, all run like champs.

Truncana likes this.