iDrop Dead

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ttursas, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ttursas

ttursas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    :) We released the first Drop Dead in October last year, it's not that old, yet! :D Anyway, if you liked the flash iterations you'll love iDrop Dead, because of all the new stuff, don't worry about that.

And all the levels will be new ones, and we've boosted the gameplay as well, so there's not much flash legacy in iDrop Dead.

2. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    :rolleyes: My strange sense of time... It seemed like a while ago to me. Huh...

It sounds like iDrop Dead will be great though so I'm looking forward to it.

3. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Hopefully at the end of this week (Monday 1:10am here). ;) At the end of this month if we fail to submit this week. ;) So not far away from the submission...

We just got so many new and cool ideas that we cannot submit iDD before we add the nicest ones to it. And the first update will bring lots of new stuff as well, we have a huge TODO list here. :D

4. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    There have been quite a few ragdoll games around for years, so it's no wonder. ;) Anyway, our take on the genre should bring something new. Especially the updates. ;)

5. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Here are more exclusive screenshots

Hi guys!

Sorry for being quiet for so long. Here are some new screenshots. We'll submit the game to Apple tomorrow. Almost made it today, just a couple of small things to fix before we'll send it to Apple. ;)

Anyway, I'll also make a couple of gameplay videos tomorrow, and more screenshots. I'll post links to them here tomorrow as well!

Got too many new ideas, and made that small spinoff Drop Dead Olympics: Distance (for flash), thus the delay of two weeks. Anyway, now it's almost done. And I'll take a small holiday! ;)

Attached Files:

6. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Just submitted the game to Apple!

Yeah, I just submitted the game to Apple! Let's hope it goes live, because our TODO-list to the updates is pretty long and awesome. ;)

Here are more exclusive screenshots! I'll snap few more, and make some gameplay videos next...

Attached Files:

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't know what I'm looking at, but I think I have to play it...

8. aboll2009

aboll2009 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    School
    Atlantis
    Yes!!!!!!!

Finally sent for approval! Still an instabuy for me!

9. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    ;) I hope this video helps to clafiry things a little...

10. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    :) Yeah, catching swine flu last thursday did't speed up the development at all... Anyway, have another video. It's really difficult to take these alone.

11. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Wow ttursas, this is looking great! I'm guessing the slow downs are intentional? I'm definitely going to pick this up when it's released. Lets hope the approval processes goes smoothly. :)

12. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Yup, the game has "automatic slowmo" that slows the game down for a while when a joint breaks. It looks cool for a while, especially with that autozooming to the head when it takes off, but you can turn it off in the config screen when you get bored. ;) Hey there are pro-guns & killing games for iPhone where you get to shoot realistic looking people. This cartoon fantasy game is child's play compared to those... ;)

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I just played one of the flash versions on Kongregate, so now I know... I'm buying this. A couple of questions:

1) I notice the newer screenshots and videos only show orange and purple blood, can you unlock other colours?

2) Is there a level editor in this version?

3) Do you plan to add extra stuff (I'm mainly thinking of the level obects) as updates in the future?

Thanks!

14. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    1) Yep, there are seven blood colors in v1.0.0, and only one is available initially. But they are easy to unlock. ;) And I'll add plenty of more after I figure how to fit them into the configuration screen...

2) Nope, but we could release the online flash editor we are using for free. The iDevice screen is too small for me to edit any levels...

3) Yes, our TODO-list for the updates contains currently 29 different things, and the list is growing all the time. ;) We just want to see this go live (pass the Apple's tests) and then we can start working on the updates. More levels, new worlds with new hazards, and extra stuff for faster iDevices like iPhone 3GS...

And of the flash Drop Deads Final Cut is the closest to this one, but still, iDrop Dead contains most of the stuff we planned for flash Drop Dead 2, and then some. With the updates iDrop Dead will leave Drop Dead 2 way behind...

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Awesome, thanks for the answers. I'm definitely buying this now :)

16. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    #36 ttursas, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
    Thanks! ;)

Here's one video more. I just remembered I had received a camera stand as a Christmas present many years ago, and found it!

In the second world, Shake World, you can adjust the direction and magnitude of gravitation by turning and tilting the iDevice. ;) And here I play the game in "time attack" mode.

17. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    One more...

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Sweet. I'm surprised how smooth it runs with all that stuff going on.

19. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    #39 ttursas, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
    ;) I spent quite a lot of time optimizing the graphics & particle code. On a 2nd Gen iPod Touch the game is really smooth, on iPhone 3G (like on the videos) you get some fps dropdowns once in a while. And damn, I don't have a 3GS yet! Finland is just one hillbilly wooden shack in the middle of nowhere, we get all the nice things really late...

Anyway, there's still some room for optimizations, and as soon as the game gets green light from Apple and we know that we can continue working on it, I'll optimize some more. Around 5k particles on screen at once if you select "medium" from the particles settings. "high" gives you 10k (which is too much for 3G).

Plus we are planning on doing bigger levels that only 3GS can handle... ;)

20. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    ... and one more ;)

No more videos for a while, I promise. ;) Anyway, I'm going to take a holiday from all this homebrew coding. Something like a week (or until we hear from Apple). Gotta give some time for new ideas. Already got three new ideas for iDD today. :D