I'm seriously considering deleting most of my apps…

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dariusjr98, Dec 7, 2012.

1. I know that already.

2. C'mon guys, I need to know what you all think. Just need a little more convincing…

3. Jbruu got on my case 2 weeks ago about having too many games, I had 750 games on my new ipad 64 gb. We were concerned about performance installing huge games and loading all the icons into memory.

2gb monsters started taking 2 hours to install instead of 25 min like they did in the past.

Well, suffice to say, jbruu, you should be a little proud of me, now I have 475 games.

So from 750 to 475 games, deleted 275 games.

Damn, wish I had a 128 gb ipad...

4. kendahlj

kendahlj Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Make a list of the apps you are removing and if you ever have the inkling you can go back later and reinstall.

5. Or, I can go back to my purchase history.

6. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Convincing for what? You either do it or you don't. This isn't bungie jumping or getting a tattoo...:rolleyes:

DBC

7. Yeah, um, if you're not going to help, don't say anything at all. >_<

8. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    If you have games that you haven't played in months....games you either completed and played everything it had to offer...or that you have lost interest in; either way delete them. Chances are those "I'm in the mood for X game" feelings will fade away once you've installed new games to keep you entertained.

If you REALLY have a craving for them in the future, just reinstall them. That way you will start fresh and have a clean slate of gameplay to look forward to. Or you can back up the game saves if you really want to. I DON'T recommend you do that because backing up game saves requires you to reinstall your game back into your device if an update comes. Because if you update the game and play it trying to use an old save; it's very likely that save won't work (personal experience with many, many games I backed saves of). It's a high maintenance job if you backup a ton of saves. Trust me, I've been through that and gave up on it. Only a select few old saves would work after updating a game.

And when you delete the app, keep them in Gamecenter, that way you won't have to grind for achievements if you ever reinstall them.

I was in the same situation as you a while back ago, but after a while replacing apps becomes normal. Newer, better apps are coming out everyday...some even drawing inspiration from apps you already own. Trust me, you won't miss them.

I'll leave you with that. You have to decide for yourself. People have given many reasons and suggestions; and if those aren't convincing enough, then nothing will change your mind and you're just wasting everyone's time including your own.

Cheers!

9. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    I guess I'm not sure what you're so upset about. Is it that you don't understand how iDevices and the App Store work?

I wasn't deliberately trying to be a jerk, and perhaps I was insensitive, I guess it just confused me to see a topic where someone is considering doing something I've done over 1,000 times and really not thought anything about.

If this is genuinely a serious dilemma for you, my apologies, and I'll take my leave. Good luck to you.:)

Peace,

DBC

10. I'm sold. I'm deleting my apps. Thank you very much everybody :), especially you, what you said really reassured me :)

11. I deleted almost everything, and enforce that I had 200 to 300MB left. Now:

What's up with that?!

Attached Files:

12. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    How is appshopper almost 100mb for you.

On mine it's only 10mb

13. Yeah. For some the more apps you have in your lists, the more data it takes up.

But anyway, do you know why I still don't have that much left-over memory?

14. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    1. Connect your phone to iTunes and click on it. iTunes will tell you what's taking up a lot of your space. That'll give you an idea of where to start.
    [​IMG]

2. Probably the apps you deleted weren't that big. 2.2 GB is still pretty darn good. I have 1 GB on my phone right now. And it's a 16GB phone. :)

3. It seems app cache is taking quite a bit of your hard drive space. Cache is basically a folder that an app uses to load a bit faster. Appshopper's Cache folder holds all the image thumbnails from all the apps you've ever viewed using Appshopper. Try re-installing Appshopper. You'll see it'll go down in size. Browsing apps tend to have large cache folders.

4. You might have a ton of pictures. I don't think the Pictures folder shows up in the Usage menu. Backup your pictures using iTunes and delete some off your phone if you want. Or (what I recommend) back them up manually like a digital camera. Connect your phone to the computer and browse it using Windows Explorer (or Finder in Mac I guess) and look for the DCIM folder. You'll find all your pictures there. Just select them and copy them to your computer. Then delete some off your phone. Pictures are usually 1MB to 2MB in size, so logically having a lot of them just adds up to a lot of your hard drive space being used.

5. ^ Same goes for music and video. But it doesn't seem you have much of those.

15. 1. Ok thanks, I'll make sure I'll go on iTunes.
    2. Well, I did have some apps like 150MB at most, and some at almost 100MB. I'm just a little disappointed that I deleted so many apps and lost so much data, and I only have 2.2GB. That's like 1-1.5 Gameloft games! (I have 4, and I wanted to redownload them all :(.)
    3. I've deleted and reinstalled Appshopper at least 7 times, and the memory still shoots up every time.
    4. I don't take many pictures. I have like 23 in my photo stream, and about 13 in my actual hard drive.
    5. Well, you already explained that.

16. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I have a 64gb iPod and I always run out of space ....
    I picked up a calculator and worked out that 10GB of my memory is gone for no reason

17. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    You have an 8GB iphone? What's your capacity? That alone limits your possibilities I'm afraid.

Yeah, check iTunes to see what's really taking up so much hard drive.
    And you shouldn't be disappointed. That's just how it is. Many small apps have to be sacrificed for one big app. There's no way around that.

Just look at Danny, 64GB and he STILL has storage problems. xD
    I'm an app hoarder as well, but I do that on iTunes. I just keep the essentials on my phone.

That's why it's important to focus on games and finish them. Develop a detachment. After you've finished a game that's it...moving on to something newer and better. Especially old games that haven't seen an update in like forever.

18. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    My 64GB iPod is full at the moment but....
    My apps only take up 49GB
    I only have 1 song
    I only have 100 photos
    Any ideas where the missing space is going and how to get it back

19. Wow, still storage problems with the 64GB?!
    0_o

Oh wow, I want to get the 64GB. But yeah, having 8GB already is extremely limited. I got to check iTunes ASAP, but now is not a good time.

Why, Apple?! Y u no add SD card slot on iPhone?!

20. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I notice overtime the "other" or whatever section that shows up in iTunes grows larger and larger. Sometimes a hard reboot of the idevice helps a little, followed by a sync in iTunes. Eventually though I just bite the bullet and do hard reboot, manual backup in iTunes, the. A manual restore. It takes 1-2 hours for me, but usually I get the most space reclaimed. You can consider doing this as a last resort if the lack of space really bothers you... I've never had any problems with restore..