iPad iMAME (iOS iMAME4ALL in App Store) by Jim VanDeventer

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by AnarKitty, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Muttlly

Muttlly Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    UK
    Change video depth to 8 bit or auto. :)

2. TommyIII

TommyIII Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2010
    #902 TommyIII, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
    Set "Video Depth" to 8-bit or Auto

Edit. On my iPad Using crappy Safari and didn't see the above post. My bad

3. Nudgenudge

Nudgenudge Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Actually, it's also why the NeoGeo library is missing a few titles; the missing ROMs are the encrypted ones (that, and they were released after 0.37b5 :D ).
    Not sure if the CPS2 is fully there, though; maybe just a preliminary one?

I wanted to try to upgrade the driver with the decryption, but right now, I can't compile iMAME4All locally. :( I'll try again when I re-JB my iPad.
    If I manage to do it, I may also look at CPS2, depending on what's already in 0.37b5.

4. freezesicle

freezesicle Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    #904 freezesicle, Jan 9, 2012
    Actually very little changed from 37b5 to 37b7 so it is trivial to add the Playchoice-10 driver into imame4all. You change 2 files in the source directory, add the hardware drivers in and recompile. No code changes at all.

It can be added to imame4all in about 10 minutes. :)

I have Super Mario Bros running right now on my custom Mame 37b5 build retrofitted with the Playchoice-10 driver. It can be put into imame4all very easily. But it uses some extra buttons for the channel select and enter input. I think it would work on ios with some button mapping.

Keep in mind though that playchoice-10 has two screens one on top of the other. I don't see how you could play this on an iphone. It would be so tiny. Maybe on an ipad though.

But it would only be of use if you have a jailbroken ios device right now since we may not get any updates of imame on the app store.

5. Nudgenudge

Nudgenudge Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Can't you map some of the existing buttons for channel and enter? I don't see PlayChoice-10 needing more than 2 for gameplay. Maybe a default .cfg for input?

Also, don't hesitate to propose the diff to Seleuco on the iMAME4All Google code project, I'm sure he'll be happy to add games. :D

6. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Is there a list of the best games out there that are most fun on the iPhone through iMAME?

7. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Well, that's utterly subjective depending on your tastes.

But I do recommend Metal Slug 1 & 2, Dodonpchi, Es ra de, dangun feveron, blazing star, sunset riders, super hang-on, outrun, waku waku 7 and snow bros.

This is by no means a definitive list of my faves either, just a few from the top of my head. Awesome emulator is awesome!

8. dark1x

dark1x Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Are you playing them with touch controls? They were designed for proper sticks and buttons so they really become a lot more difficult using the touch interface. The best iOS games are tailored around touch controls while these arcade games assume physical controls.

Works great with the iCade, however. :)

9. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    That is something that has always been available on mvs bios's. The roms are mvs images. The home version (aes) do not have this setting.

10. RotaryP7

RotaryP7 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Alright so how would it work? I'm willing to try anything.

11. chutch15

chutch15 Member

Dec 30, 2011
    You may have accidentally remapped a button via the setting menu. Try deleting the cgf/default.cfg file in iMAME via iExplorer. I will be recreated when you restart iMAME and your iMAME settings will be reset.

12. Muttlly

Dec 27, 2011
    UK
    Wow,you obviously have some good coding skills!
    I've been using mame and various other emulators for years now,but never tried to compile.

If you do manage it,please let us know!

13. wishlish

wishlish Member

Jan 1, 2012
    #913 wishlish, Jan 9, 2012
    Never mind, fixed it.

Now if only I could get Arch Rivals to work...

14. freezesicle

Dec 22, 2011
    Yes it looks like it will require a back-port to get it working.

The drivers are listed in Drivers.cpp true BUT they are implemented as TESTDRIVERS meaning they are work-in-progress. When a game is promoted to 'working' status the games are changed to say DRIVERS instead of TESTDRIVERS.

I looked at the driver code and the video driver isn't even functional. They have a tile viewer in place but that is it.

In fact the driver isn't even linked to the mame.exe executable.

I don't know which version brought in the CPS2 emulation but it will have to be back-ported.

15. Muttlly

Dec 27, 2011
    UK
    According to the mame dev history page:
    CPS2 decryption fully implemented (0.112)
    That was in 2007!
    Before then XOR tables were used to hack and play these games.

I know mame changed a lot after 37b5,and that is why imame4all uses this version,but can it be back ported if the versions are so different?

16. freezesicle

Dec 22, 2011
    well I don't know as I haven't looked at the newer drivers. But you are right there were some major changes to the structure of mame over the years but it might be possible.

17. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Is there a limit in the amount of games you can load into the app? If anyone knows, please PM me the answer!
    Thanks!

18. jac2982

jac2982 Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I don't know if there's a limit but I have the entire romset loaded and that's a little over 2,000.

On another note, what's the deal with blasteroids? The screen is super stretched and when you start a game it starts with two players.

19. Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    The limit is your memory.

20. freezesicle

Dec 22, 2011
    Uff, haven't had time to play imame lately because of coding.....BUT

I managed to back-port a cool shooter called Battle Garegga to mame 37b5. :D

This is an awesome Raizing game originally from mame 37b9.