In Need of an Awesome Platformer

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by CygnetSeven, Jan 5, 2014.

1. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Robot Wants Kitty is so good. It's also lacking Retina. Where the hell are you John Raptis?

2. DianeSalvatore

Nov 25, 2013
    Business
    Chicago
    I think the platforms mentioned up here are worth trying. You might get something good out of them.

3. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    One I haven't noticed listed is Alex Mayan Mysteries, universal, .99 cents

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Oops ! Yep thats a great little game, thanks for the post, it'll remind me to play this later

5. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I don't know how I forgot this gem, but Luna Bears (now unfortunately repackaged as the lame SuperSkyland) is easily one of the best platformers available on iOS. This game is fantastic and can teach a thing or two to the entire auto-runner genre as a whole, as it fulfills every platforming need that every runner neglects. In this regard it's more of an 'auto-platformer' but feels nothing short of what a platforming experience can deliver.

They altered the appearance of the main character and changed the image of the game, which was a mistake, but the gameplay itself remains intact. Not sure about the widescreen, but check it out regardless.

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Thank you Sumo, Robot wants kitty is now one of my favorite platformers ever

7. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Having fun with this. Thanks for the suggestion. It's kind of a Tiny Wings platformer. Nice.

8. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Raptisoft. Can't go wrong.

Glad to hear it. It's a great game. There is also a free Valentine's version, which actually has the old Luna Bears theme (which is a good thing).

9. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I tried out Luna bears Valentine and super skylabd. The games a bit to floaty for me son not really my style, but I agree Luna breads is better. The redesign would have been fine except they changed the facial expression of your character

10. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    LOL, didnt know about the redesign of Luna Bears. what a screw up. Looks worse than before.

11. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I went on about it forever in the thread to no avail. To this day that update is one of my most regrettable. That whole image shift was for nothing other than to sell more copies by making it appear to be more of an action game. They also added continues, which of course can ultimately be bought with real currency. So yeah, the game was perfect, and then it 'went the way of iOS.' Still great, but tainted.

12. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    The floatiness you'll get used to. The facial expression is exactly what ruined it. He looks ridiculous and it's a total contradiction to the gameplay.

Cygnet, try and get all three stars, the bear and the prize box at the end in one run. That's where it gets fun.

13. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    What happens when you get all 5?

14. Tronfan

Tronfan Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    have you played swordigo ?
    Also , random heroes is a lot of fun . I've never played the related league of evil series but have heard good things about that
    Definitely get stealth inc.

15. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Oh, nothing in particular that I know of, it's just challenging to get everything in one run, especially with the later worlds. Also it's almost impossible to do everything in one shot if you've never played a level before, since you have to find where the stars are hidden.

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Sumo, where do you stand on the case of the Rayman Run games? Platformers or runners?

17. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    They Need To Be Fed 2. Love that game.

18. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I think in general a runner is a platformer that takes the majority of the control away from the player. The reason they fit so well on these devices is they negate the need for complex controls that can often prove tricky on touch screens. Rayman is definitely a runner with platforming sprinkled in. Luna Bears is a platformer with runner sprinkled in. These lines get blurred, with the runner that borrows elements of platforming and the platformer that borrows elements of the runner. I often go by feel. Rayman feels like a runner. A true platformer you will always have control over your character, not at the whim of forced forward momentum.

19. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    And just to clarify, forced forward momentum is not always a negative, but in terms of a runner, I feel they offer less in terms of gameplay than the same game would if it was a platformer.

Forced forward momentum works great in my favorite genre, the shooter (shmup), so go figure.

20. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Same with One Tap Hero. I say those listed are platformers.