GameClub Incoboto (by Fluttermind)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. lmq

lmq New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Europe
    The game looks nice, but it crashes frequently on my iPad (3rd gen). Not often enough to make in unplayable, but often enough to be annoying (about every 1.5 to 2 levels or so). Does anyone else have the same problem?

Also, it would be nice if the game didn’t ask me whether I want to use OpenFeint and allow it to access my Twitter account every time I start it – I said no the first time, and I meant it. Those dialogs are just annoying.

Apart from that, the game looks fun, but I didn’t play very far because of the crash issue.

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I haven't had many crashes on my 2nd gen iPad, though I did get a crash last night, curiously enough. I forget the circumstances exactly. In any case it definitely has not crashed every few levels. I may have crashed twice total, and I'm up to 67 or 68. I wonder if there is an incompatibility with the iPad 3? Hopefully the dev can fix it ASAP, as it would be a shame to miss out on this great game due to that.

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Don't have this issue with OpenFeint, but it indeed keeps asking me every single time if it can access my Twitter account. Annoying indeed.

Other then that, I am having a blast so far. Friday my friend was driving and I jacked in his AUX cable to have the music and sound play over the car audio system... a very cool way to play when being -literally- on the road! :D

4. farjo08

farjo08 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2011
    I've come SO close to asking for help here, but after seeing people asking for help, then a bit later the "I figured it out" I thought let me give it another try. Maybe wait a bit before trying again, but was able to get past all the points I was stuck at.

At the same time, I know people have different skill sets / time / patience / etc / so asking for help and providing that I don't see to be a downside. The game really isn't that hard and just taking time away and rethinking seems to get past those "stuck points". But I have no problem with people providing hints, etc.

Sure, you get more enjoyment playing a game and beating it on your own, but not everyone thinks that way or can do that with a little bit of help.

Loved the game and hope there is an Incoboto 2!

5. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    Glad my music doesn't just make your friend drive into the nearest lake. Gateway's music makes ME want to end it all (and I wrote it).

As for the 'Twitter' access thing - it should only be asking once. Ever. I'm using the default access stuff used by all Apple products. If you're saying 'No' because you think it'll autotweet things, worry not. It won't.

6. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    As ever, I say that if you're getting repeated, annoying issues, and they don't go away when you re-set the iPad, go get a refund! Something weird is happening between Inco and your iPad.

I'm assuming the crash issue is a memory-out rather than anything Inco-related as I've not come across anything else that could cause this. I play full playthroughs on a regular basis without a single crash on an old iPad 1. Really puzzling...

7. Pandabunny

Pandabunny Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    I really like the soundtrack too, are there any plans to make it somehow available?

8. Ssylex

Ssylex Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    Software Engineer
  9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I completed the game tonight. Such a great game. Only bummer was that star pieces really give you nothing but an achievement, so don't bother with those unless you're into them. It seems like they could have done something fun with them. Oh well, not a big deal.

10. etonblue

etonblue Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Finished last night. Great experience. Enjoyed it immensely. While I had some difficulty with the control scheme at some of the more fidgety timing bits, overall, I never found it overly frustrating.

My one comment (and it is more of an observation than a complaint) is, and while I'm not sure that it is technically a game spoiler, I am going to spoiler it anyway because it discusses the mechanics of the ending:
    There was a bit of a disconnect between the first 75 stars, which I felt like I earned by solving puzzles, and the last 25 which consisted simply of flying around from planet to planet using my jetpack and seemed tacked on for the purpose of extending the life of the game for an extra 15 minutes. It didn't spoil the game for me, but it would have been nice if there was a similar puzzle aspect to them. Frankly, I probably would have been fine had the game ended after 75 and the "final" boss.

Overall, very clever and highly recommended. Impressive work Dene. I look forward to your next solo release (which I'm sure you will have ready for us by next month).

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I agree... and maybe having a

portal after the end boss that went from there to the planet where you needed to use the sun to power up the universe...

it did kind of seem... tacked on.

12. Cool Panda

Cool Panda Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    #212 Cool Panda, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
    I like it

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I didn't mind that last part. It was kind of a relief. LOL. It felt light and joyful in a way, which I think fit the mood of that part of the game. The only bummer for me was that the star maps didn't do anything other than get you an achievement. Surely something fun could have been done with that.

14. Glerick

Glerick Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Cameraman / reporter
    Belgium
    Dene, since you seem to be very active on this thread, I just had to make an account to thank you personally for this brilliant masterpiece. I am a big fan of 2D platform and puzzle games. But this is more than a perfect combination of that. It's a work of art. Everything, from the mechanics to the music and texts, they all fit together and merge into an absorbing experience. One of the best I've had on my iPad2. I am simply stunned after having found out that you did it all by yourself. Seriously, thank you and bless you. (And your wife for giving you a figurative kick in the ass when needed)

I played Incoboto the last couple of weeks each time when I was alone in bed, just before I went to sleep. And I feel that those moments couldn't have been better spent.

15. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    #215 Dene, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    @Glerick: That might be the sweetest thing anyone's said to me that didn't involve my buying them dinner first. Thank you so much.

As for the Jetpack thing: here was the thought behind it:

"You've got 75 stars? Well done. Some of them were a bitch, weren't they? You know what? I've got something for you. No, it's not a puppy. No, it's not more punishment. It's nice. It's a toy. It's a fun toy you don't have to worry too much about. You'll enjoy using it. You did well, so I'm giving you a present. What's that? You don't take gifts from strangers? Well, that's probably for the best... 'cos the ending's going to rip your heart out and dangle it in front of your eyes. In truth, I'm kind of giving you a toy which really speeds you toward heartbreak and devastation. But it's a fun toy though. Fun. And, really, life doesn't get much better than that."

I thank all of you who have joined me on the weird ride, and hope you had 'a time'. Exactly what kind of time, I couldn't possibly guess - but if you felt anything, I'll be content.

As for 'next'... well, I've started 'Another Place Productions' with a few old friends. We're talking to all sorts of folks at the moment. Hopefully next time around, I'll make people *really* miserable. I've watched 'The Fountain' - I know all about misery.

'Night.

P.S. To anyone struggling with the jump mechanism because they're 'flicking' Inco... can I point out that at no time does the tutorial suggest you do that.

Nobody is allowed to complain about a car's steering if they're trying to drive with their elbows.

Just nudge your finger up 10 pixels and Inco jumps. It's faster than tapping, and less disruptive to smooth play.

Don't flick. I said DON'T FLICK! GODDAMNIT STOP FLICKING AND GAAAAH! Can't watch any more... <click>.

P.P.S. The reason the Star Charts don't do anything was that I was *that* close to shoving a pencil up my nose by that particular point in the project. I also didn't think even one person would play that long. Sorry! Thanks so much for playing that far.

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Getting all the star charts was easy once you had the Jetpack, perhaps unless there were some hidden ones you didn't uncover while playing.

The ending was sad, though I thought I felt some hope in there anyway. Wishful thinking, perhaps. LOL.

It really was a fantastic game. I'll be looking forward to your next project.

17. Xenon219

Xenon219 New Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Absolutely Fascinating game! Reminds me a bit of Mario galaxy. Thought the last 25 stars fit perfectly and the game wouldn't have been as much without it. I hope this is successful, the iPad really needs more fleshed out games and I hope more ppl are willing to start paying $5. A real steal if you ask me.

18. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I know it can be solved with one finger. But ong I can't figure out the first part of a "kindword system". The spring is located inside a force field. And I have no idea how to get it out

19. deanmary

deanmary Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I am stuck at 59 starpieces on Dreadthought! :( I can't figure out how to get the starpiece on Dreadthought-Shield which is above a microportal in a rectangular chamber. Any tips, help, etc. would br greatly appreciated.

20. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    #220 Dene, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
    You don't... yet.

There's a clue in the fact that there's a Microportal with a platform above it. Microportals preserve your momentum and relative direction, remember.

If you want to come out at a specific angle, go in to its twin at a specific angle. Think about what else (other than jumping) might give you a boost up at high speed.