@indie devs

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by bravetarget, Oct 9, 2009.

1. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    great thread!
    hope to provide some numbers when our game is launched (at least generally speaking)
    some of the apps that come out, you don't hear about them, and you see the numbers, its just very surprising.

2. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    google "MajicRank". It is a mac program that most developers use to track progress of their apps in the AppStore across either the Top 8 countries or ALL countries. It only shows the Top 100, though.

3. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    Also there's an iPhone app called AppRankings.

4. quietmime

quietmime Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Thanks a ton!

5. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #1 Around 430 / 26 000 (paid/free) downloads a day. (89 000 paid / 5000 000 free total) Price at $2.99
    #2 no money invested (one month to develop original version - pretty much alone)
    #3 Wooden Labyrinth 3D

6. bossman696

bossman696 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Graphic Designer, Commercial Printer
    Alabama
    I guess I should be pretty pleased....

1# My game Flight Deck has been out since August 10th and we have consistently had 70 - 85 sales a day. I haven't really pushed it as I was only able to get ONE LEVEL Included. I did the artwork for it, but paid a CODER in the Ukraine to make it work. Once I am able to add the additional MAPS (first of November) I will hit it hard and heavy!

2# Development Cost: CODER: $3555.00, Apple: $99, Already had everything else.

3# Flight Deck

On a side note, I use Applyzer.com to track my app. If you are curious enough about other apps (curious enough to pay the fee that is), you can track them as well.

7. babyfish0226

babyfish0226 Active Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Programer
    Taiwan
    #27 babyfish0226, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
    1.Average 114 sales a day since 2009.06.30 (Actually 50~70 sales now)
    2.No,Just me and my brother,one programer and one art design.
    3.Catch Cows

And i use the appfigures to manage my reports and applyzer to get the realtime rank.

8. I'm using www.appfigures.com. Great site and free if you only have 2 apps to track. It will automatically download all your reports from iTunes every day and archive them for you. It shows sales, reviews, and ranks for all stores worldwide, and you can view raw numbers or graphs for any date range you choose.

MajicRank was also mentioned, and is a good option, but I like to check stats from work too and I use Windows there, so www.appfigures.com works better for me overall.

9. nickcaveman

nickcaveman Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    illustrator and graphic-designer
    bremen/germany
    maybe i`m a little bit paranoid, but sending your passwort and accountname to a website seems not to be a good idea for me.

10. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    wow. you guys are doing really well. I'm lucky if I get one paid download in a day.

11. ziggyeye

ziggyeye Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    I thought the same thing but you can create a separate finance account for them.

12. fairlady

fairlady Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Owner: Fairlady Media
    Raleigh, NC
    #32 fairlady, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
    Our weekly numbers vary depending on how much advertising we're doing.

Our number 1 app, Spazzle! (free) has gotten about 960,000 downloads since December 2008. It currently gets about 10,000 dls per month.

Soon we're going to do a big "Count-Up to a Million" promotion... we're hoping to hit a million dls before our 1-year anniversary (December 26).

We use AppViz on a daily basis to track downloads of all our games. We also keep a close eye on our App Store rankings within categories and subcategories.

Our company consists of a husband-wife team of developers. I do the game graphics, my husband does the coding, and we both work together on game design and marketing. We sometimes out-source work to others; for instance, the music in Spazzle II was custom-developed by Atomicon. No salary for those folks, just a contract with a set fee and/or share of the revenue from the game.

I hope other devs find this info useful! :)

13. Mike_RNR

Mike_RNR Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2009
    lead dev on Storm Attack
    Minnesota
    Storm Attack info

At release, Storm Attack was pulling in around 1-4/day @ $1.99

It got featured on both "Hot New Games" and the games section of "New and Noteworthy" shortly thereafter. That, coupled with a 99 cent price-drop, sent sales up substantially. During that week, we probably averaged just over 100/day, peaking at 134 on Sunday, 10/18.

Storm Attack just got bumped off "Hot New Games", but is still in the games section of "New and Noteworthy". Our sales from yesterday took a substantial hit, down to 83 - I think we're going to slip even more today. We also just got knocked off the Top 100 Arcade Games, but we're still hanging out in the Puzzle category.

We've had some press reviews (all of them very positive) and an article about the game's development, but we never noticed a substantial bump from any of them. Then again, they're mostly pretty small sites.

The team is just my programmer friend and myself, but we did have some expenses (iPhone/touches, music licensing, business setup fees, etc.). I have yet to recoup my initial investment. I was pretty optimistic that we'd hit it soon, but now I'm a bit worried :confused:

We're planning a pretty cool update. In addition to making the game better, hopefully it gets us some more face time on the "New Releases" section... also lets us hit up Round 2 of "send the promo code to the review site".

Also, we've been using the 30-day trial of AppViz for stat-tracking. It can pull in your sales/rankings from each store, as well as user reviews. Kind of fun to see a review from a different country.

14. bossman696

bossman696 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Graphic Designer, Commercial Printer
    Alabama
    Appviz is the APP I have been looking for!

Thanks to this thread for showing me Appviz. This is exactly what I have been looking for to make sense of that Apple Sales report! I'm a new developer and while I'm sure this program has been around for a while, it is NEW to me!

I love it!

15. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    I hope this changes for you guys. I picked up this app. during the sale, and find it taking up a lot of my casual gaming time. Its the perfect game to play in class because there is not too much going on, but real fun. Good luck

16. Mike_RNR

Mike_RNR Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2009
    lead dev on Storm Attack
    Minnesota
    Hey, thanks man :) just don't let your teachers catch you, haha.

Side note - sales plummeted even more than I thought yesterday - down to 31.

17. cfreshmedia

cfreshmedia Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Game developer, designer
    Austin, TX
    #37 cfreshmedia, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
    Rummage... just started to pick up

Rummage was only getting 0-3 paid downloads a day until PocketGamer reviewed it. Since (10/14) its been averaging about 150 paid downloads! (* edit 10/24 now down to 50-80)

I created the game alone, so I haven't paid anyone... I haven't seen any $$$ yet. I didn't pay a guy out of pocket for music contract work. A necessary evil I guess.

Rummage is currently featured in iTunes "New and Noteworthy" and actually climbed into the Top #10 Paid Word Games (currently dropped to #12). The success was mostly due to exposure from the reviews from PocketGamer, NoDPad and Nine Over Ten.

18. Hmmm...interesting. For my game Charmed, I've noticed almost zero influence from very positive reviews from mobilegamefaqs.com, theportablegamer.com, appmodo.com, iphonefootprint.com and from many toucharcade.com users.

I've got an ad on pocketgamer, but it hasn't done much either. Maybe a review would help.

19. tiptapgames

tiptapgames Well-Known Member

Hi There.

Well, i start to sell my first iPhone game yesterday, named Noid, so i can't give so much info about it.
    The first day, i sold only 5 copies, what i think its too low.
    I really think that game is good enough to sell more, maybe in next days, sales will increase, i am working in some marketing now.

King Regards, fjsantos.

20. cando

cando Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Hey cfreshmedia,
    Congratulations on the success! So to get the review on those cool sites did you send them a press release or contacted them in any way?